i want to buy obd scanner

I have a Vgate one, It works well but I have since got VCDS Lite which is far better.

This is mine...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vgate-Scan-VS450-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-Engine-ABS-AIR-BAG/222745652769?epid=5010349835&hash=item33dcacee21:g:ItQAAOSwUchaJ8ZP

Any cheap scanner will work for basic use.

I have a cheap XTRONS ELM327 clone Bluetooth dongle. Cost me 20€ inc. VAT, CAT, BAT and delivery.

It shows e.g. rpm, MAP reading, oxygen sensor reading, speed and coolant temperature but not much more. 

The most useful feature is the diagnostic code read/save/clear function. If it hadn't had that, I'd have sent it back.

Raul

I had a scan tool that was very similar to the Vgate one, and it always worked well for me, in fact that one is better than the one I had as it gives fault code definitions directly etc, my one required me to have an in to date listing of VAG fault codes.

One thing to think about is, if that scan tool is similar to others in that price range, you might find that it becomes useless when you buy a newer VW Group car, though maybe that does not bother you right now.  My old scan tool ran out of life any time between 2010 and 2014 depending on which model of car it was used on, so, when finally became a problem, I sold it and bought Carista as a scan tool to carry with me in the car, at home I use VCDS.

Edit:- remember that Vgate scan tool covers more than just the engine faults, most cheap scan tools out there will only cover engine and probably only emissions related fault codes, ie as required by OBD2.

Edited by rum4mo

I have a QuickLynks T55 - VAG specific and has worked fine on our Fabia 1 and Octy 2 as well as a host of other vehciles over the years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIAGNOSTIC-FAULT-SCANNER-READER-GROUP/dp/B005ZF30A2

It's a bit clunky but does the job and there was a recent update for it to bring it in line with newer vehicles (although I haven't install;ed that yet).

However, it's probably been superseded now...