Cam chain replacement

Hi all, this is my first thread . I'm about to become the proud owner of a 2011 (60) plate skoda vrs estate 2.0 petrol manual and have been reading about the dreaded timing chain issue. Firstly is there a replacement chain/ tensioner that irradicates this issue if so how much to do and by whom? This car has done 101000 miles from new with no expense spared servicing it's had the best of everything from new.

Thanks in advance for your replies Brian.  

Thanks Roaddetective that's what I'm thinking £650 is a lot cheaper than  £5000 is it a revised tensioner and chain ? I'm sure I've heard that the 2011 model has this revised version already but I don't want to chance it .

You need to review the engine failure thread for all the details and it takes quite a while, it is a long thread. But afair the tensioner was revised up to end of 1st quarter 2012. Chains also had revisions. Older versions with the spring clip retainer on the ratchet were the worst. 2010 on original tensioner - i personally would not risk it regardless of mileage...

3 hours ago, Brian1954 said:

Thanks Roaddetective that's what I'm thinking £650 is a lot cheaper than  £5000 is it a revised tensioner and chain ? I'm sure I've heard that the 2011 model has this revised version already but I don't want to chance it .

Yes they were the latest tensioner and chains fitted. It was done less than 2 years ago. As TheClient states, the latest revised parts came out at the start of 2012 and I have not heard any revisions since. Get it done mate, just for more piece of mind. My car was new on the road in December of 2011 and I still did not want to risk it.

Looking a bit closer at your post, 2011 60 plate. It will be a later revision but maybe not latest. Look at he barcode label on the upper timing chain cover with manufacture date, what date is it?