Intermittent light failure

The right-hand rear number plate light on my 2014 Octavia keeps going out, triggering the expected light failure warnings on the maxidot and ICE displays. It's not an actual bulb failure; a quick tap on the lens cover sees the light come back on again at leastfor a while. I've had the light out, and I cannot see anything wrong. the bulb is seated tightly, and the plastic plug that connects the wire is also firmly in place - I've even disconnected and reconnected it to make sure. This past weekend I've had the trim panel off the tailgate to see if I can find any loose connections anywhere else. I can't.

It may be pure coincidence, but the back windscreen of the car was smashed the weekend before last and it is only since then that this fault has occured. I'm wondering if this may have caused an electrical fault somewhere? Unfortunately though, the problem has continued since having the back window replaced.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Having the warning ping up on the dash all the time is quite annoying, and I suppose I really ought to have all the necessary lights on the back of the car working!

Hi, sorry if you've already checked but how about swapping bulb, even with from the other number plate holder 

occasionally the wire filament of the bulb can break but still 'rest ' on the connector so makes intermittent contact if that makes sense, well worth a try as for the cost of the bulb it can be a cheap time solving fix :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1