Blocked car- would you "do" the finance?

As you may have seen from other threads, my Kodiaq is one that is currently "blocked" from delivery due to whatever the issue is with the wireless charger/ signal booster technology.

I have today received the finance email from VWFS wanting me to digitally sign the documents.

Would you go ahead with the finance side of things knowing that the car is indefinitely delayed, or would you leave it pending? The email is valid for 7 days.

Part of me says to go ahead so it's sorted for whenever the issue is resolved, another part of me says not to sign anything until I know what the issue and long term fix is.

Opinions?

What email is this? I signed the finance stuff at the dealer when picking the car up... didn't know there was any other option given they verify your identity while you're doing it as well.

37 minutes ago, TumnusCat said:

As you may have seen from other threads, my Kodiaq is one that is currently "blocked" from delivery due to whatever the issue is with the wireless charger/ signal booster technology.

I have today received the finance email from VWFS wanting me to digitally sign the documents.

Would you go ahead with the finance side of things knowing that the car is indefinitely delayed, or would you leave it pending? The email is valid for 7 days.

Part of me says to go ahead so it's sorted for whenever the issue is resolved, another part of me says not to sign anything until I know what the issue and long term fix is.

Opinions?

They generally don't start taking payments until the car is delivered.

As you say, the email is only valid for 7 days.

33 minutes ago, Offski said:

Sign nothing on the purchase or financing of a vehicle that Skoda UK have told other it can not be First Registered in the UK until parts or software is removed.

VW Group / VW FS / Skoda UK need to explain themselves.

Mate, I'm genuinely confused as to what you're saying here!

13 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Do you still want the car? If so sign the paperwork.

Deactivating the feature is only going to add a few days onto your likely delivery date.

Well I was hoping that was the case but I was booked in for handover this week and dealer won't commit to anything regarding a new date at this point. They are claiming that there is no fix yet published.... Yet others seem to be getting their cars!

Contact your dealer and tell them you will not be signing until they give you some clarity on what to expect.  Realistically they should be able to give you an answer on how they plan to deactivate the charger and deliver your car well within the 7 days, so no harm done. It is hopefully unlikely, but if they can’t manage to get you that answer within 7 days, and they still don’t know when they can deliver cars, that would ring major alarm bells for me.

• Like 1

Give Skoda UK a call, tell them that one of their franchised dealers hasn't read / understood the bulletin issued by Skoda UK and is uneccessarily delaying the collection of your new car.

Ask them to contact the dealer on your behalf and request that the dealer, once educated, calls you back with a new collection date...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

27 minutes ago, Offski said:

What i was trying to say is, sign when you have a confirmed date and time of hand over / collection of the car you ordered to the spec ordered, 

because the finance is on a car as specced, not with functions not functioning.

But the car as specced doesn't meet new regulations. So are you suggesting I refuse to sign or I accept that the spec has changed or inwait until they fit a legal signal booster which could be forever and a day.

Sign when you have something in writing from them that you’re happy with - something that explains what spec you are getting now, when the car will be delivered by, and when to expect a legal signal booster (if at all). But I wouldn’t expect them to give you a coherent answer for when to expect a legal signal booster, as it doesn’t sound like they have a clue themselves. Unless it’s in writing with a date next to it, safest to assume that it won’t happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrTrilby said:

But I wouldn’t expect them to give you a coherent answer for when to expect a legal signal booster, as it doesn’t sound like they have a clue themselves.

To be fair to VAG, it's not like they make the signal boosters - they will be reliant on their supplier reacting to the change in regulations. And their supplier (just like VAG) won't act until the regulation is confirmed, as in the meantime the specifications within the draft could change.

Think back to all the wonderful 802.11n* routers that came out, with "*802.11n draft specification" in small writing on the bottom of the packaging. Some worked fine when the final specification came out, others didn't play at all nicely with devices that stuck rigidly to that final spec. Risks of rushing something out... and VAG aren't going to take that risk as it would cause even more disruption than is being caused now (and it's unlikely VAG's suppliers would take that risk either).

If you've no intention of rejecting the car then delaying signing the paperwork is only likely to delay the release of the car.

If you still want the car, follow their instructions, enjoy the car and wait until everything is clearer with regards to the fix. 

• Like 1

If TumnusCats dealer is as useless as mines I would not sign anything, yet.

I am sure they will want to get the car sold and in this months figures. My worry would be if that felt I was fully committed and couldnt back out how would they treat me.

I am a cash buyer, only paid deposit and feel very poorly served. I would dread to think what things could be like if they had all the money and felt they could deliver the car when it suited them

Hand over the money, get the car.

Sit it out and don't get the car.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

If you're happy to wait then this may be prudent, if you want your shiny new wheels I'd be on the phone at 08:30 in the morning!

Sit on the email for couple of days, in meantime ask dealer for revised handover date

One of two scenarios will happen :

1) new handover date is before the 7 days to return email, so sign and all ok

2) dealer won’t release the car until later (or currently unknown date), if this is the case, you need to reply to the finance email, stating dealer advises there is now a delivery problem, and car is not currently ready and asking VWFS to advise on extension to signing date.

VWFS will only have sent out the documents for signing because someone triggered it, such as a dealer confirming pending handover (as they want to be paid).   I suspect there has been overlap, and/or the dealer has failed to recall the VWFS notification properly, leaving you in the middle.

So having done the arious signatures etc last night online, and contacted the dealer to say it is all done and ask when I can expect handover.... No reply or acknowledgement from the dealer 24 hours later.

So back to where we were with no idea when I will get the car.

Hope other dealers are better!

How are you making contact?

I find the telephone or visiting in person is the only way to get a quick response.

Email or social media often results in silence.

Just now, MrTrilby said:

When you visited yesterday, did you ask them when you’d be able to collect the car?

Yep. And was implied that Thursday pickup might be possible but if not then Friday. And they would contact me to confirm.