USB Charging

Eddaminna

Probably a stupid question but here goes anyway:

I'm getting an SEL. Will the USB connection charge my phone or is it data only? If yes, will it still charge it whilst I'm using the USB to connect to android auto? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Eddaminna

The inbuilt USB ports seem to sliw-charge only. My guess is that they only output at 0.5A to 1.0A. You can buy a 12v to 5v USB socket (plugs into cigarette lighter) that charges at up to 2.4v if you need/prefer faster charging. 

4 hours ago, olly_shaw said:

One of these is needed if you want to close the cover https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MWI7TTS/

I have AA on all the time. Got an old phone on ebay for £50

Thanks, that's really helpful. 

If you use an old phone that (I assume) you keep in the car, how do you get a data connection on it (e.g. for traffic info)? Do you have a data only sim in it? Why not use your main phone? 

43 minutes ago, Orville said:

The inbuilt USB ports seem to sliw-charge only. My guess is that they only output at 0.5A to 1.0A. You can buy a 12v to 5v USB socket (plugs into cigarette lighter) that charges at up to 2.4v if you need/prefer faster charging. 

Thanks. All I really need is to keep the battery topped up, so it should be enough. At the moment when I use Google maps for satnav my phone screen is turned on, so the battery drain is huge. But with the karoq the phone screen will be turned off, so a trickle should be enough, I hope. 

11 minutes ago, Eddaminna said:

Thanks. All I really need is to keep the battery topped up, so it should be enough. At the moment when I use Google maps for satnav my phone screen is turned on, so the battery drain is huge. But with the karoq the phone screen will be turned off, so a trickle should be enough, I hope. 

Make sure you change the android auto settings so that it turns your screen off. By default it leaves the screen on with an android auto splash screen whilst connected.

8 hours ago, Eddaminna said:

Probably a stupid question but here goes anyway:

I'm getting an SEL. Will the USB connection charge my phone or is it data only? If yes, will it still charge it whilst I'm using the USB to connect to android auto? 

Thanks! 

Yes. And yes. I use it all the time for both reasons, via a right angle USB A cable, to right angle USB C. The phone then sits in the tray.

It'll be a while yet before  Android Auto Wireless is released over here.

AFAIK, the black screen with Android Auto text in the phone is standard, as there's no control on the phone itself. It's designed to show you that for safety reasons, everything has been handed over to the car screen via voice, switch, or touch.

Again, AFAIK, AA can only be run from the car's USB socket. It won't run from a 12v  > USB adaptor plugged into the car's 12v socket. That said, If I wanted charge only, I'd use one then. My phone supports Quick Charge so my adaptor does too.

Haven't had a long drive yet, but on our last Yeti, the standard USB charge more than kept pace with Google Maps/Waze right across Europe to Lake Como and back. I'd be surprised if Karoq was any different.

Yes you can’t bypass the black screen with the android auto logo that shows when connected to the car, but I think you can allow the phones screen to switch off.

Try this: Open the Android auto app whilst not connected to the car, goto settings, scroll down to phone screen settings, under screen on, choose “use device default”

11 hours ago, Eddaminna said:

If you use an old phone that (I assume) you keep in the car, how do you get a data connection on it (e.g. for traffic info)? Do you have a data only sim in it? Why not use your main phone? 

My main phone is iPhone and the apple maps is poor (IMO). So I got a data sim from three and a 128gb sd card. I use android auto, audible and google play music. Also means my wife is set up too.

13 hours ago, solarfusion said:

Yes you can’t bypass the black screen with the android auto logo that shows when connected to the car, but I think you can allow the phones screen to switch off.

Try this: Open the Android auto app whilst not connected to the car, goto settings, scroll down to phone screen settings, under screen on, choose “use device default”

Thanks for this. I'll have a go. TBH, I never saw what the screen did other than lock with the AA text displayed. The phone was too big for the front in our Yeti so when connected, lived in the rear drawer behind me.