love2drive

Before I visit my local dealer, has anybody experienced the a large cracking sound like a stone hitting the front screen) whilst using the aircon and what was the reason for it? Used mine for the first time this week (only had car a week or so) and it did it shortly after setting it to auto in the very hot weather, it does it maybe once or twice on a trip and it also has a clunking noise like a flap shutting together with the sort of noise a vacuum cleaner hose makes when it's blocked. All the vents are open including the glove box cooler.

My old Octavia 2.0 TDI had the same Climatronic in it and didn't do this. 

3 hours ago, love2drive said:

Before I visit my local dealer, has anybody experienced the a large cracking sound like a stone hitting the front screen) whilst using the aircon and what was the reason for it? Used mine for the first time this week (only had car a week or so) and it did it shortly after setting it to auto in the very hot weather, it does it maybe once or twice on a trip and it also has a clunking noise like a flap shutting together with the sort of noise a vacuum cleaner hose makes when it's blocked. All the vents are open including the glove box cooler.

My old Octavia 2.0 TDI had the same Climatronic in it and didn't do this. 

In this mode the air vent flaps open and close automatically so it sound like a vacuum as the fan stays on

Climatronic The Climatronic can have a sensor that measures the air recirculation mode and automatically turns on if there is an increased concentration of pollutants in the incoming air. When the pollutant concentration decreases to the normal level, the recirculated air mode is automatically switched off. Automatic switch-on/switch-off of the air recirculation function can be set on the Infotainment screen, by pressing the  button on the Climatronic and by then pressing the function surfaces  → Automatic air recirculationon the Infotainment screen. A shut-off of the air recirculation function is carried out by pressing the  button, possibly depending on the moisture conditions in the vehicle interior.

Page 115 owners manual

Edited by skoda1982

53 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

In this mode the air vent flaps open and close automatically so it sound like a vacuum as the fan stays on

Climatronic The Climatronic can have a sensor that measures the air recirculation mode and automatically turns on if there is an increased concentration of pollutants in the incoming air. When the pollutant concentration decreases to the normal level, the recirculated air mode is automatically switched off. Automatic switch-on/switch-off of the air recirculation function can be set on the Infotainment screen, by pressing the  button on the Climatronic and by then pressing the function surfaces  → Automatic air recirculationon the Infotainment screen. A shut-off of the air recirculation function is carried out by pressing the  button, possibly depending on the moisture conditions in the vehicle interior.

Page 115 owners manual

Thanks to all who responded and especially skoda 1982 for the info, I will look at this tomorrow and check the settings.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the car in to my local dealer and the recirculating flap motor is faulty and this is causing the cracks, bangs clunks and knocks, replacement part on order and hopefully fitted early June. Air con / heater not working well either but they will fit motor first as it may cure both issues ! 

Other than that really pleased with the car.