Suspension arm under bonnet?

Hi all, 

Recently bought a MK1 Octavia and have been hearing a 'squelch' / 'twang' kind of noise when turning the steering wheel. After checking out under each of the front arches, I couldn't see anything that would be making the noise. However, upon opening the bonnet and turning the wheel, I noticed where the noise was coming from. What's happening is when the wheel is turned, the bit on the right hand side of the picture is twisting and catching the metal which is the squelching noise followed by the twang when it gets pulled down through the metal slightly and twang when the wheel is centered. 

Please see the pictures attached to see what I'm talking about. I've tried to unscrew the nut unsuccessfully and wondered if there was a knack to it or a tool required? (I've been using an old spark plug remover from a previous car). If someone could tell me what this part is called, that would be a big help. 

Thanks in advance. 

IMG_20180516_195745.jpg

IMG_20180516_195754.jpg

These shouldn't be moving, they have a bearing underneath out of sight. 

They are fairly inexpensive though, a pair of top mounts is only about 20-30 quid.

To remove them you'll need to hold the centre with an allen key and an offset ring spanner on the nut.

Even once lose you'll need to remove the suspension strut to remove and replace but its easy enough if you have spring compressors 

• Like 1

@Ayyarr - From what you've said I think either seized top mounts as suggested, or broken front spring(s) up by the pig tail. You need to establish whether or not you need springs, top mounts or both before proceeding because once you start you're VOR until you finish.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fwdnewbie said:

These shouldn't be moving, they have a bearing underneath out of sight. 

They are fairly inexpensive though, a pair of top mounts is only about 20-30 quid.

To remove them you'll need to hold the centre with an allen key and an offset ring spanner on the nut.

Even once lose you'll need to remove the suspension strut to remove and replace but its easy enough if you have spring compressors 

Or use a battery or air impact gun to "surprise them" off :) works way better than using an allen key in the middle as they are usually excessively tight. You will also need coil spring compressors to release the tension on the spring. Will be almost impossible to do without removing the shock absorber from the car.

shock.JPG

• Like 1

Just wanted to thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated. 

@KenONeill as you mentioned a broken front spring, I've not seen anything broken or hear anything that I've heard in the past with broken springs, is there anything I can do to check without removing the spring itself? As I'm on a limited budget with any repairs due to having it quite recently, I didn't want to 'fork' much out on it just yet.

How much roughly are we talking for a local independent to replace the top mount struts? 

@Ayyarr - Been AFK. You see Octyal's exploded view above. [1] is the spring, and you're looking for a break somewhere in the top half-turn of wire. It can be done without dismantling other than removing the relevant wheel, but means looking right up inside the turret and in the lower mounting cup on [22(A)] for a piece of spring wire.

As to costs, I'd guess 3/4 hour plus parts per side for mounts, maybe 1 hour per to do springs (and to do springs and mounts both since the mount has to come off to do the spring). The difference being for time to release the old spring from the compressors.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Ayyarr - Been AFK. You see Octyal's exploded view above. [1] is the spring, and you're looking for a break somewhere in the top half-turn of wire. It can be done without dismantling other than removing the relevant wheel, but means looking right up inside the turret and in the lower mounting cup on [22(A)] for a piece of spring wire.

As to costs, I'd guess 3/4 hour plus parts per side for mounts, maybe 1 hour per to do springs (and to do springs and mounts both since the mount has to come off to do the spring). The difference being for time to release the old spring from the compressors.

Brilliant info, thanks very much for the time.