Lithium Ion Battery

Hey Guys,

Ive got my hands on a lithium ion battery that was used in a Porsche 911, the battery is in good working order. Its a LiPo battery, puts out close to 14.4V and can crank upto 800A of current. Just wanted to know if its safe to do such a thing? Will any systems interfere with the change? Any resets I might have to perform? Anything I should know beforehand?

Im doing the change purely due to the weight benefits, the battery barely weighs a kilo maybe 1.5 tops and is tiny! Ive heard the normal battery weighs nearly 20kg ! Is it advisable? I know the same battery was used in an e63 AMG before too so I know I have a good battery, just wanted to know if it would operate safely in the Octy.

Thanks guys! Cheers!

Edited by clutchtime

48 minutes ago, JD52 said:

Don't you need special chargers for Lithium batteries??

I do have one that charges and balances the battery but its been used in the car without needing any extra cables/controllers,etc. works just as a replacement. 

I think at best your engine management system would get very confused by the unexpected voltages, at worst there's a very real chance of setting fire to the battery because the car doesn't know how to charge, manage or look after it properly.
Lithium ion batteries are extremely flammable.

Edited by Rodge

Not compatible with the voltage range from an Alternator. Needs a more controlled charging current and voltage.

Sell it, should be worth a few £€$ or whatever floats your boat

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 01:31, Rodge said:

I think at best your engine management system would get very confused by the unexpected voltages, at worst there's a very real chance of setting fire to the battery because the car doesn't know how to charge, manage or look after it properly.
Lithium ion batteries are extremely flammable.

Ok so after contacting the manufacturer and understanding the specs, the battery is 14.4V and 96A when there is no load, i.e. connected to the charger. The alternator provides a current of upto 14.4V which is used to charge the battery, just like it would charge a Lead battery. Its a direct drop in replacement. Only issue is the battery only operates in an environment of upto 60-70C. Now where I live the summers can reach upto 40C and under the hood is only going to be warmer. I was wondering if anyone had a rough idea as to what the temperature difference is outside vs. under the hood. I only ask because at some point I will be dropping this battery in to replace the big hunk of lead simply because in doing so ill shave off around 18kg off the front end. I am in talk s with a local tuner for fitting stiffer sway bars and removing all the unnecessary weight from the car ;) 

Just wanted to put it out there that Li-ion batteries are capable of replacing Lead batteries, FalconEV in the states was the maker of my battery and it has exceeded my expectations when I tested in a Hyundai i20 Diesel. Its Plug And Play! No mods and did I mention it weighs close to 2-2.5kg!? *Big Smile*

Needed some advice from the forum members as to which sway bars would be compatible with my car  (2018 Octavia Hatchback 1.8TSI 7 DSG). Its a front wheel drive car with independent rear suspension, in short, it sticks to the road! Lesser roll is welcome, I will be tuning the car to around 230bhp in a month or two, want to improve the handling first. All in all a great everyday car, only wish the fuel economy was slightly better :P

Drink this Lithium and close the topic.

Joke aside, Li-Ion is prone to fire, Pb cell isn't. I wouldn't put this in my car, even if it is told as 1-1 replacement. Not worth the risks.