How stable do you find the built-in USB to be?

Had my MY17 Superb III a few weeks now, and have tried connecting my iPhone using the USB in the front.

It seems really unstable - the phone charges for the first second, then stops and intermittently restarts charging. I'd initially thought it was the cable, but have now tried three different ones and the same cables work fine when connected to a cigarette socket charger in the same vehicle.

I'm thinking of asking Skoda to see if the socket might be dodgy - it's not the cable or phone, and if it were a battery issue I don't think it would charge via the cigarette socket.

Interested to hear your experiences!

There is a possibility that some detritus may have gotten into the USB socket and is interfering with the connection. As the socket is facing upwards it’s begging to be a dustbin. Try using a powerful vacuum cleaner on the socket and if that fails try something like a cocktail stick.

I have an 8” USB to Lightning lead plugged into mine. The lead was plugged in shortly after I bought the car and has never been removed from the USB socket so there’s no possibility of dust or other foreign bodies falling into the socket. 2½ years of faultless operation.

Got my MY18 SEL at the end of April, and the USB port has been faultless with both my iPhone and SWMBOs Galaxy S7 Edge so far.  Agree with the previous point on dirt.  Do you cover the socket/storage area with its cover when not in use?

On 21/5/2018 at 20:34, hop said:

Had my MY17 Superb III a few weeks now, and have tried connecting my iPhone using the USB in the front.

It seems really unstable - the phone charges for the first second, then stops and intermittently restarts charging. I'd initially thought it was the cable, but have now tried three different ones and the same cables work fine when connected to a cigarette socket charger in the same vehicle.

I'm thinking of asking Skoda to see if the socket might be dodgy - it's not the cable or phone, and if it were a battery issue I don't think it would charge via the cigarette socket.

Interested to hear your experiences!

Have you set up CarPlay? The issue your describing may not be a Charge problem but a software issue, make sure your phone and infotainment are up to date. Mine does something similar each time its plugged in, the message appears on infotainment that its connecting via CarPlay, phone starts charging but then fails to connect, the infotainment switches over to reading the USB device and during this time the phone can stop charging and start charging again. It usually fails the first time but connects when I manually start CarPlay then it fine unless CarPlay crashes (which happens but rarely), iirc when CarPlay crashes the phone stops charging and starts charging again shortly after.

You should be seeing the messages above (on the infotainment system) when you connect your phone, if you are not seeing these, try a different iPhone, if its the same then its a dealer visit I'd say.