Strange gearbox antics

:dry: Twice now my Octavia mk3 auto, has decided to change from the D range of gears to S range on its own. I drive the car in NORMAL mode and the the gears selected show as D1 through to D5. If SPORT mode is selected, they show up as S1 to S4. The first time i noticed this was several weeks ago when the car, still in NORMAL mode,  suddenly held itself longer in any particular gear and the accelleration was noticably faster, “S” range of gears showing on info screen. This whilst driving normally at fairly low speeds, ( I rarely drive above 60 as you can spot the potholes easier). It happened again yesterday, but more alarmingly as i was waiting to enter a roundabout. There was what i could only describe as a “crunch” from the DSG box and it changed from D to S again but still showing NORMAL mode on the info screen. The car has only done 29 k miles and has 18 months warranty left. Has anyone else has this happen? Parked up a couple of minutes later, I switched off the engine, restarted and all was correct again. Will get it booked in asap at local dealer for a check up.

Edited by Skiprat

The Gearbox will go into S mode if Sport Mode is selected via the infotainment, or if the lever is pulled back when already in D.

Are you saying the gearbox switched to S without either of the above happening?

That should not happen, my DSG has just broken 40k and it stays in the mode it should be in unless changed via the mode selector or by pulling the lever back. Get it checked out under warranty.

Thanks I will. This is the first auto I have owned and I may still be guilty of  reaching for the stick to change down at junctions, so I will be wary of that being a cause. That wasn’t the case the first time it happened though. I did call our local dealership and asked to speak to a technician but go no further than a young chap on reception who said he could help but was no use at all.

There shouldn't be any sort of “crunch” from the gearbox when it changes mode as it's just a change in the software configuration for how it chooses which gear to use.

It’s hard to describe really. Was just sat with foot on brake waiting for traffic to clear in the roundabout and there was a definite noise from the box. My wife is hard of hearing and she said “what was that ?”. Next thing it’s in Sport mode.  I may have touched the selector but it should not make any sort of noise if that was the case. A bit like selecting 1st on a manual without synchromesh. I will get it checked out when I can get through to the dealership. Thanks for answering.

2 hours ago, Skiprat said:

I may still be guilty of  reaching for the stick to change down at junctions, so I will be wary of that being a cause.

If you do move the gear lever backwards you will but the gearbox is Sport mode.

This is totally separate to the driving mode selector on the infotainment and driver select button.

You can move the gear lever and change between D and S in Normal, Sport, Economy or Individual.

Lee

Thanks for clarifying that Lee. I will be more careful. It doesn’t help when the wife’s car is a manual and you swap between the two :). I wouldn’t have expected to hear any sort of “engagement” noise though, which was more alarming. I bought the car in January and to be fair have not driven it much. It was fully serviced prior to purchase.  Post was really to see if anyone else has had same thing happen. Looks like I am the culprit so far :)