EBay reverse sensors

I have fitted some of those exact sensors, but not to a Skoda.  The sensor detection on the ones you are looking at is symetrically cone-shaped, all aftermarket ones probably are, but I have an idea that the genuine Skoda part  is biased upwards.  Due to that, my sensors are exactly where Skoda fit them, but my car can be sensitive to detecting kerbs and other low-set road irregularities that aren't a hazard, this is normally when reversing down off an inclined drive.

If you do buy these ones,, before you finally commit (i.e. cut holes), why not plug them in via a 12v power cigarette plug (socket in boot?) to experiment with the sensor range to see if it is ok?  The unit works with just one sensor plugged-in, but be aware that some brands I've looked at warn not to unplug the sensors with the power applied as they could be damaged.

Some duct tape or BluTac over the speaker hole will lower the speaker volume to bearable levels.

I have fitted some similar sensors (Valeo) to a Superb twindoor years ago, as per this thread, but nor sure about the relevance of the sensor height on your estate as the bumper is probably different, and look out for the 'hidden' screw at the rear of the rear wheel arch when removing the bumper! :-

Edited by CombatWombat

@CombatWombat

Thanks for the answer. I'll bear that in mind for sure, sods law they have run out of the colour I'm looking for in the 18mm sensors. They have the 21mm though...

I've had the inner boot trim to bits recently due to a spill in the boot and also have had the rear light out so that's not scaring me.

My main concern is finding a suitable area of reverse wire to splice into i.e. is there some wire available to access from inside the boot?

I'm also REALLY keen to do thus without removing the rear bumper.

It won't happen without removing the bumper, there's just no way to get at the area where they fit in. I found this out after forgetting to reconnect the sensors when I fitted the towbar; I had to take the bumper off again to reconnect them.

You could probably trigger them from the reverse light, but I'm not sure you wouldn't end up with bulb-out warnings. By comparison, the OE installation is triggered from the BCM via CAN, so there's no messing around with tapping off wires anywhere.

1 hour ago, chimaera said:

It won't happen without removing the bumper, there's just no way to get at the area where they fit in. I found this out after forgetting to reconnect the sensors when I fitted the towbar; I had to take the bumper off again to reconnect them.

I'm not adverse to an extra bit of work, is there much involved in getting it off? I worked out that there is a screw under each of the rear lights which fasten the bumper on.

Yeah I may need to get a relay and use the reverse wire as a 'switch' only but take the power from the 12v power in the boot.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F221218817689

It's not too much work, but you've got a few fasteners in non-obvious locations. There are screws in the wheelarch that secure the wheelarch liner to the bumper; there's also one of those plastic rivet pin thingies at the top edge of the bumper inside the wheelarch (pop out the centre part and pull it upwards). There are screws behind the lamp clusters so they have to come off and then there are a few along the bottom of the bumper underneath. It can be done by one person, but having a helper makes it a bit easier. Depending on what tools you have, you may need to remove the rear wheels to get at the screws in the wheelarch.

Thanks for this man. Are the plastic rivet pins fairly easy to work out once you see them? 

Yeah I've plenty tools to hand so hopefully won't have to remove the rear wheel too.

Am I right in thinking there are pre-marked holes inside the bumper where the OE sensors would go?