12 volt socket

Is it possible to have the coding changed so the 12 volt socket goes on and off with the ignition?  My dash cam starts as soon as it has power and off as soon as it doesn't. And I keep forgetting to pull the plug out. It would also mean I don't have to try to remember to disconnect the cool box when going onto a car ferry. 

Thanks

Edited by Calomax
Predictive text Grrrr

Not as far as I know. You could probably rewire the live feed to a switched live but that may be fiddly. There are accessory plugs out there that convert your one socket to say, three and also have usb ports which are switchable. One of these gadgets might bean easy AND portable way to go. No rewire, swap it to another vehicle. Win-win! (You would still need to remember to switch off one or more of the switches, just not all or no need to remove). 

Edited by mrgf

• 3 weeks later...

it's easy with a piggyback from the Rear Wiper feed (can't remember the fuse number, have a look in the manual) as that's a switched live, and put a second inline power socket behind the removable panel on the drivers side of the dash (the one that you can only see when you open the door!) then plug your dashcam in... only powered when the car is running :) it's so easy even I managed to do it... took me about 20 minutes, after crimping a bullet connector onto the extra socket live 'RED' wire and a large two prong/open bolt connector onto the neutral (connect this to a torx bolt on the fuse box as that is grounded to the chassis) 

Easy to remove when you sell, and transfer to another car!!

Edited by Simoneale1973

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice. I looked for a piggyback fuse holder on Amazon and found a complete fitting kit for around £12. I fitted it in about half an hour and it works perfectly exactly as I wanted it.