Never thought this be the last drive

13 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Horrible sight. Hope you get quick resolution from insurance.

Just looking at bonnet and agree with others - looks like glovebox area. Or could it possibly be fusebox at rear of glovebox? You didn't have something like a dashcam hard wired in there by any chance? I've read about a few problems with piggy-back fuses.

No nothing hard wired in there as far as I’m aware.  

• 5 years later...

You said that the car off to Essex to be investigated, what was the end result please, I really don't understand why nobody has bothered to follow this up with you. The result might well be of assistance to someone else as well, so please post the outcome.

Bit late, 5 years ago this happened.

OP probably got paid off by VAG in addition to insurance settlement. In that case they probably will have made them sign an NDA.

Or maybe they just couldn't be bothered, and bought a different brand replacement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

That is a possibility, I asked about the outcome as this thread has been brought up in another thread and I thought the answer might be a great help. 

Hi sorry I’ve not been having emails to say anyone has replied.  But for some reason I’ve just received one. 

The car was sent for inspection but as it had been on a flat bed for 200 plus miles the fire investigator said it was difficult to give an exact cause.  

He did agree it was possibly something electrical in the glove box.  But wouldn’t commit 100% 

So basically had to claim from insurance and had a Skoda goodwill cash off whatever I wanted. 

At the time I bought a 2 month old VRs hatch but never trusted it, so sold it a few months after ownership.  

Somebody contacted me about a year ago who had seen mine catch fire and they had the same thing happen.  I’m unsure what his outcome was. 

cheers 

Andy. 

Thanks for the reply, so it would seem, reading between the lines as if there might have something wrong but Skoda didn't want to commit themselves to saying what it was. Fingers crossed I don't have anything like that happen with my car, I'm on my 5th Superb now in 19 years.

3 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Thanks for the reply, so it would seem, reading between the lines as if there might have something wrong but Skoda didn't want to commit themselves to saying what it was. Fingers crossed I don't have anything like that happen with my car, I'm on my 5th Superb now in 19 years.

Yes basically came to a compromise. Had if it ever happened again, I’d have the car brought to my home and wrap it.  

Then pay for it to be independently inspected by myself.

You live and learn ha ha !! on a plus side nobody was injured.

VW/Skoda must know there is an issue !!  as seen a few Golf’s also self combust.  

Edited by Lew0-VRS
  • Sad 1

Regarding manufacturers wanting to hush up any issues and not reveal publicly when their vehicles have a latent fire risk the following that I have just posted on another thread is very pertinent:

From the charred remains of the loom I forensically reconstructed the fault, a coil wire (unfused) had chafed through on the coil pack bracket melting the insulation on other wires in the loom, the high current fused the ignition contacts together so when the driver switched off and removed the keys the loom continued to melt, they confirmed this to me, the fire brigade eventually cut the battery cables.

After that I saw no end of early Galaxies smouldering at the side of the road, always 2.0 DOHC petrol engines like mine, Ford were not interested in the cause or the safety of their owners, they said candidly to me its not really a Ford, its a shared platform with VW and Seat, the only thing we supply is the 2.0 petrol engine, the car is made by a Portuguese company called Auto Europa and badged for us, the adaptions for the engine including the coil bracket are not ours, its just rebadged for us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1