1.4 Tuning

Ive the 1.4 8v it to dies of death in 5th gear on the motorway! if i gradually press on the gas it takes a while for the acceleration to comence.... but other 4 gears pretty responsive. Only other thing i notice is a turn of the wheel especially when engine is cold it pulls back quite alot untill i straighten up the wheel again. Does yours?

Ive the 1.4 8v it to dies of death in 5th gear on the motorway! if i gradually press on the gas it takes a while for the acceleration to comence.... but other 4 gears pretty responsive. Only other thing i notice is a turn of the wheel especially when engine is cold it pulls back quite alot untill i straighten up the wheel again. Does yours?

I Cant say I Have any steering problems , but the Gearbox, clutch and brakes all feel really mushy until the car warms up, and then it's only slightly mushy. I Notice that it goes much faster when it's cold though. As for taking a while for the acceleration to commence, thats just the crappy Euro emissions control on the throttle, Does anyone know if it can be disabled with VAG-COM?

The Engine Labelled "1.4 MPI" is the 8v 68BHP Skoda Sourced Engine. The 1.4 16v is avaliable in both 75 and 100BHP' date=' they are similar engines but not Identical. Originally 1.4 75BHP Was for the Automatic transmission, but Early sport models had it too, could never see the point in it though.

Looks like a visit to the dealership for me, But the 8v was designed for people who were born in the days when they beleived that if you went over 15mph, the oxygen would be sucked out of you :).[/quote']

Thank u for the info.. when i bought my car i was kinda new to Skodas n i was afraid that its the 68 HP one that takes more than 17 seconds to go to 100 km/h :D when i drove the car it felt much much faster than 17 seconds to 100 lol..

Why dont u go for a modified Exhaust on ur car? it'll sound very nice and rev faster.. and maybe some Air filters.. this will make a lil difference i guess

skodayouth - i've got an X-Reg 1.4mpi 8valve, even if the speedo is wrong, mine atleast reaches 110-115mph on the speedo even if this is more like 105mph in actual speed. if i were you see if theres anyone nearby with vagcom and get the fault codes checked out and erased.

(that is absolutely flatout in 5th after taking it to about 80 in 4th so think about 5k revs for the topspeed iirc)

at the moment its got a coolant loss problem...grrrr...

Thank u for the info.. when i bought my car i was kinda new to Skodas n i was afraid that its the 68 HP one that takes more than 17 seconds to go to 100 km/h :D when i drove the car it felt much much faster than 17 seconds to 100 lol..

Why dont u go for a modified Exhaust on ur car? it'll sound very nice and rev faster.. and maybe some Air filters.. this will make a lil difference i guess

Actually In it's defence they do 0-60 in 14.9 Seconds. 17.3 is for the 1.4 75BHP Automatic. As for the post above, I Have got a clear VAG Com, Just Alternator Load Sensor, DF Signal Implausiable, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it im sure :). How are Skoda Testing the top speed of these cars, most people on this thread have said they have gotten around 120-125MPH in an 8v, including one with 3 people in the car and almost everyone seems to be able to go over the quoted top speed, even including speedo errors. The Official Quoted figure for the 1.4MPI Is 164 kp/h or 103MPH. Do Skoda give up testing after the car seems to be getting to the stage where there isn't much more to give:confused:

• 5 months later...

Top speed tests are usually run with a partial payload, and full fluids all of which add weight & so slow the car down a bit. Hence, if you're built like a stick insect & the car's running on fumes you'll get better numbers than the quoted ones.