Service cost

jst_at_home

Hi all

Just been quoted £249 for a first service (oil plus inspection) on my 1.2 Yeti DSG.  Car is just 2 years old with 18,375 miles and on extended servicing intervals.

That sounds a bit steep.  Does it sound right to others?

Thanks

John

..sounds like a bit of a rip off to me. I would normally expect to pay about half that for an oil/filter change and "check". Assume your price is from a main dealer as its fairly new?

Edited by Stubod

Thanks Stubod.  Yes, it's a main dealer price.  In fact it was £299 but as I have an Octavia on order, they've knocked £50 off.  The newly built Octavia is at Emden waiting to be ferried to the UK.  I had hoped that I would have had the new car before the Yeti needed its service but as I'm going on holiday with the car on 24/6, it looks like I'm going to have to swallow the cost!

John

£249 to do an Oil & oil filter change, and inspection service / report & a Pollen Filter / sump plug supplied and maybe a road test, 

plus a 'Free Wash & Vacuum' is a rip off.

No Air Filter or Spark Plugs supplied or fitted.

As is a Major Service @ £279 on 3-10 year old cars if the parts are not supplied.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed    Simple to fleece.

??

Where did they come up with the £299 price, to then take off £50?

Someone is at it,

@ 2 years or 18,500 miles, no Air Filter is supplied, no Spark Plugs, and they are not doing the Brake Fluid Change.

They are doing nothing to the DQ200 DSG.

Best question the quote.

Edited by Offski

Different car, different engine, but service costs rarely fluctuate much across models / engines, I just paid £175 for the first service (variable / long life) on our 2016 150PS diesel Octavia Scout.

Oil service (interim) plus pollen filter, Pulman Skoda in Durham.

I dropped the car off in the morning on my way to work, they drove me to work for 08:30. They then dropped the car off mid-afternoon, washed and vacuumed.

If the dealer wants to follow the letter of the law, and quote Skoda UK's fixed pricing they should be charging you £279...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Capture.JPG.d4b3472c9719ddab217821602b0a27a5.JPG

Be warned though, with the mileage and age of your Yeti the dealer won't be doing any of the 'extra's' you'll see between the two types of service.

They'll happily charge you £279 whilst carrying out the £159 service. The reason is that the 'other' items i.e. air and fuel filters, plus spark plugs, aren't required until at least 3 years old / 60,000 miles.

Pulman Skoda quoted me £159, plus £16 for the pollen filter (even though it should be included as part of the interim service). I didn't quibble as they could have quoted me £279 if they'd wanted to.

Edited by silver1011

^^^  For 'Fixed Servicing'.  ie every 9,400 miles / 372 or which comes first.

&  it was for cars over 3 years old in that Offer,.

Participating Dealers,  Pith taking dealers.   Maybe changed now in the small print...

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

'Maximum selling price.  Authorised repairers are free to offer lower prices than this offer!'

Edited by Offski

No, its still there, and this is what distinguishes a good dealer, from a not-so-good dealer.

The not-so-good dealers will use the "from 3 years old" small print to justify their pricing (or over-charging, depends on how you look at it).

The good dealers simply apply Skoda UK's fixed pricing policy to all cars, regardless of age i.e. those under 3 years old, like mine and the OP's.

Find a 'good' dealer would be my advice...

Capture.thumb.JPG.cb75177b64b5f3cb3072076aa8ea941e.JPG

I am not defending those ripping off.

Just saying, that is 'The offer'   for those doing Fixed Servicing.  

It is a rip off, Fixed Price regardless of Labour time, parts supplied or not and 20% VAT charged or not and paid to the HMRC or not.

Look at a 'Variable Servicing'  offer link if you can find one.   & VW / Audi show as 18,500 miles not 20,000.

Audi show S-Tronic oil service at 38,000 miles, VW / SKODA / SEAT show at 40,000 miles.

1 hour ago, Offski said:

£249 to do an Oil & oil filter change, and inspection service / report & a Pollen Filter / sump plug supplied and maybe a road test, 

plus a 'Free Wash & Vacuum' is a rip off.

No Air Filter or Spark Plugs supplied or fitted.

As is a Major Service @ £279 on 3-10 year old cars if the parts are not supplied.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed    Simple to fleece.

??

Where did they come up with the £299 price, to then take off £50?

Someone is at it,

@ 2 years or 18,500 miles, no Air Filter is supplied, no Spark Plugs, and they are not doing the Brake Fluid Change.

They are doing nothing to the DQ200 DSG.

Best question the quote.

I challenged the original price of £299 and said that I was expecting a new Octavia which I had hoped would have been delivered by now.  They said "as you're buying a new car from us we can knock £50 off".

I said I thought it was excessive for an oil change and a quick look over.  They said something like it will need a pollen filter change...

Unfortunately time is not on my side as I'm off on holiday with the car next week so need to have the service done by a dealer to maintain the recovery etc and I'm also on a PCP until the car is traded.

My cars are immaculate inside and out so I do object to paying for a £100 wash and vac which is essentially what it is.

But what can you do?

John

ps I will probably buy a fixed price package for the Octavia!

Edited by jst_at_home

Just booked in with another dealer at £149 inc VAT.   40 miles away so 30 more than my nearest dealer but nearly half the original price.  Quote "we work on menu pricing, not fixed price and we will do the oil change and check brakes, front suspension etc".

I hate being taken for a fool!

Guess where I'll be going with my new Octavia!

John

• Like 2

^^^ Good.

Fixed Price Package can be as much of a rip off as 'Fixed Price Servicing'. Best check exactly what you get with that.  

It will be interesting to see what Skoda / VW Group Main Dealers servicing costs now that VW Group will be using VW 508 / 509 Full Synthetic Long Life Oil 

in engines to get the WLTP figures.

?

Will all main dealer Servicing on late 2018 on vehicles have them using VW508 / 509 oil?

Yep - I paid £249 for my Yetis first (variable) service at 12500 miles and 20 months old. I get my (very) local very competent mechanic to do oil/filter change at half way point (10 months) and he charges less than £100. I want the dealer “stamp” to be available during warranty but it is unlikely I will continue with that after 3 years old which means I may not need another main dealer service. 

4 hours ago, jst_at_home said:

I hate being taken for a fool!

Guess where I'll be going with my new Octavia!

Be sure to feed back to the original dealer. Tell them you've taken your servicing business elsewhere.

They may be bothered, they may not, but unless you tell them they'll never improve.

5 hours ago, Yetiflute said:

Yep - I paid £249 for my Yetis first (variable) service at 12500 miles and 20 months old. I get my (very) local very competent mechanic to do oil/filter change at half way point (10 months) and he charges less than £100. I want the dealer “stamp” to be available during warranty but it is unlikely I will continue with that after 3 years old which means I may not need another main dealer service. 

I was Operations Director of a large bus company (200 buses, 2 workshops and 30 skilled engineers) until I became semi-retired.  My father was Fleet Engineer of a large hsulage operator and my son is a qualified Heavy Vehicle Mechanical and Electrical Engineer (Level 3) so I reckon that I have the knowledge and expertise to do the service myself.

But, I need the official stamp!

John. 

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Be sure to feed back to the original dealer. Tell them you've taken your servicing business elsewhere.

They may be bothered, they may not, but unless you tell them they'll never improve.

I'm in two minds about this as I have got a really good deal to replace my Yeti.  My new car is waiting on the quayside at Emden so I'm loathe to queer the pitch.  The dealer is really good in so many ways but becoming excessively costly in my view.

The new car will be my 15th car from them.

john 

Feedback doesn't have to be negative or confrontational. Just write them an email, state the facts.

If the new car is at Emden there is little you or the dealer can do now to sour the deal.

I'm sure if the dealer is customer focused they'd welcome your feedback, heck, they may even try and keep you!

If not their loss, your gain.

Main Dealers Stamps are not required for a Manufacturers Warranty.

They did away with Service Books anyway.

But still Main Dealership online proof of Servicing is not required,  Just VAT Registered Establishment and receipts for OEM parts / Fluids / Consumables.

There are even VW Independents with the licensed equipment, Software Updates, TPIs, and the Ex VW Group Master Technicians that have had enough 

of the farce that is Main Dealer Servicing and the ripping off of customers.

'Goodwill gestures' are greatly over-rated, they are becoming a thing of the past and were just cover for 'Skoda / VW' are paying really just not admitting the faults are known by them and ignored.

43 minutes ago, Offski said:

Main Dealers Stamps are not required for a Manufacturers Warranty.

They did away with Service Books anyway.

But still Main Dealership online proof of Servicing is not required,  Just VAT Registered Establishment and receipts for OEM parts / Fluids / Consumables.

There are even VW Independents with the licensed equipment, Software Updates, TPIs, and the Ex VW Group Master Technicians that have had enough 

of the farce that is Main Dealer Servicing and the ripping off of customers.

'Goodwill gestures' are greatly over-rated, they are becoming a thing of the past and were just cover for 'Skoda / VW' are paying really just not admitting the faults are known by them and ignored.

I'm on a PCP and think I need to have a manufacturer's service record.

John

16 minutes ago, Offski said:

'That is a very restrictive practice'.  Very anti competitive, and like illegal.

But if that is in your T&C's then maybe you do require to use Main Dealers for Servicing. 

I just found this, somewhat ambiguous statement, in Skoda Solutions terms and conditions:

4. Service History

As part of the agreement, the vehicle should have been regularly serviced by ŠKODA approved repairers and according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I cannot see the definition of  Skoda approved repairer.

• Like 1

Another lost in translation is 'manufacturers recommendations'    Not as per Schedule,  ie must do this, must do that, must have A/C serviced,

must change spark plugs at 4 years / 40,000 miles or depend on if the technician can be bothered to look at plugs or airfilter,

or is it a Fleet Vehicle, then life time fitted items, life of the lease..

The Manufacturers warranty is a cracker on servicing where they say to 'Manufacturers guidelines'.   

But getting Manufacturers Guidance is a joke,  as are the 'recommendations',  try asking about a Haldex Service and oddly Skoda UK are clueless, 

like with DSG servicing sometimes, they do not know there wet from dry clutch or Ar53 from elbow.

10 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

I just found this, somewhat ambiguous statement, in Skoda Solutions terms and conditions:

4. Service History

As part of the agreement, the vehicle should have been regularly serviced by ŠKODA approved repairers and according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I cannot see the definition of  Skoda approved repairer.

This, I fear, is where they have you. 

A little story. 

We owned a 3-year old Nissan Leaf from last July to April (when we traded it for a Citigo - a better car in just about every way).  It was serviced by a  main dealer in November.  Some 4 weeks later, the rear brakes were grabbing so badly in reverse after the handbrake had been on that you had to give it a significant burst of power to unstick them.  I took it into the dealer and grumbled when I was told I would have to pay.  But the car's still under warranty and you only serviced it four weeks ago.  They said, "it's probably a build up of brake dust in the handbrake drums".  I said "you should have seen it when you did the service".  They said "we never take the wheels off".  Dumb-founded, I said well it's an electric car that has no oil, no oil filter, no valves, in fact nothing but a maintenance free electric motor and of course, wheels.  The only thing I could determine they had done on the inspection was to have topped off the screen-wash.  And of course they did the customary wash and vac.

As Ryeman said earlier "this is where they make their survival money".

• Like 1