ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS & Sabine Schmitz, a day out at the Nürburgring’s legendary Nordschleife

• Administrators

Mladá Boleslav, 14 June 2018 – Emotion, dynamism and passion – ŠKODA combines all of these qualities with the ‘vRS’ initials. Even before its market launch, the Czech car manufacturer’s first high performance SUV, the ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS, proves that it can hold its own on the most challenging race track in the world. Racing driver Sabine Schmitz set the lap record for a seven-seater SUV at the Nürburgring’s legendary Nordschleife in the ŠKODA KODIAQ vRS, highlighting the car’s performance qualities. The Kodiaq vRS extends the range of vRS models in the ŠKODA line up.

• Sabine Schmitz achieves the fastest time for a seven-seater SUV around the Nürburgring’s legendary Nordschleife in the ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS
  • With the sporty version of its large SUV, ŠKODA is rigorously continuing the tradition of its performance models
  • ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS will make its debut at the 2018 Paris Motor Show

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_11.jpg

Fuchsröhre, Schwedenkreuz and Karussell – these sections of track on the Nürburgring’s legendary Nordschleife are well-known to motorsport fans all over the world. No other race track is more challenging and nowhere else are drivers and vehicles pushed to their limits like they are on the 20.832-km-long circuit in the Eifel region. The ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS withstood the track conditions in the ‘Green Hell’ and, at 9:29.84 minutes, set the Nordschleife record for a seven-seater SUV. 

Sabine Schmitz was at the wheel of the ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS during the record-breaking lap. Schmitz regularly participates in the long-distance championship (VLN) and the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring and in 1996, she became the first woman to win the 24-hour race and won again the following year. Having long been a ‘Ring Taxi’ driver and as a presenter on various car shows, she has become well-known to a wide audience. Schmitz estimates she has driven more than 30,000 laps on the Nordschleife to date. 

“The ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS is great fun on the track,” said Sabine Schmitz. “ŠKODA has made full use of its large SUV’s potential with the Kodiaq vRS. I can certainly imagine that I’ll be encountering the Kodiaq vRS regularly during my laps around the Nordschleife in future,” Schmitz adds with a wink. 

František Drábek, Head of Compact Models at ŠKODA AUTO and responsible for the development of the Kodiaq vRS, was also present at the successful record attempt. He points out that, “The Kodiaq vRS equally embodies the versatility and spaciousness of a family SUV as well as emotion and dynamism.” 

The new 2.0 BiTDI engine produces 239 PS. This allows for dynamic power delivery and excellent responsive qualities, even at low engine speed. Exhaust gases are purified by an SCR catalytic converter. In the Kodiaq model range, the 2.0-litre BiTDI diesel engine is exclusively reserved for the vRS, and thanks to Dynamic Sound Boost, the high-torque diesel engine’s power is immediately apparent. With adaptive Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) including Driving Mode Select and progressive steering, the all-wheel-drive vehicle – which was still in its camouflage wrap during its appearance in the Eifel region – was perfectly equipped for its record-breaking lap at the Nordschleife. 

The ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS will celebrate its world premiere in October of this year. It will be presented to the public for the first time at the 2018 Paris Motor Show

Pictures

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_7.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_8.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_9.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_10.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_4.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_5.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_6.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_2.jpg

Kodiaq RS_Nurburgring_3.jpg

Edited by ColinD

• ColinD changed the title to ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS & Sabine Schmitz, a day out at the Nürburgring’s legendary Nordschleife
17 minutes ago, ColinD said:

The ŠKODA Kodiaq vRS withstood the track conditions in the ‘Green Hell’ and, at 9:29.84 minutes, set the Nordschleife record for a seven-seater SUV.

Hmmmm. In other words, Skoda are the first to think putting a seven-seater SUV round the 'ring is worth the hassle.

Anyone going to try and argue that an SQ7 wouldn't obliterate that time?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Anyone going to try and argue that an SQ7 wouldn't obliterate that time?

Not from here. It's all relative. I seem to recall Jon doing 8min something's in his diesel octavia when people were amazed Clarkson was doing 8min somethings in a funky big Jag...

• Administrators

No, true, however he can do noise and babble very well :)

I dare say the transit had less arch room too ;) 

I am always intrigued by marketing departments. Sister brought a XC90, I said how amazing the hill control was... she's had it 6months and does not know where it is. I had one for 5 minutes, admittedly had an instructor and ex f1 driver next to me too :) fun days seeing what 99.8% of these SUV's will never do and what they can do... :o

Quite surprised they are holding on to the diesel line too. Actually very surprised given the swing of late. SWMBO has had the inside track for 20years on diesels being worse for air pollution... 

Edited by ColinD

• Administrators
1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

That'll be the third vRS thread then :D

There will be more! 

I've been musing with a 'car' or a converted van for camping/living in. Weekend warrior or long road trip. Reckoning a kodiaq to rs to whiz down to spain/france then kip on the roof.... https://www.ikamper.com

Might actually work with the load space... 

But a transit is only 38seconds slower :) Don't even need to pack my bed away for 80% of the experience. ( Don't have children, just me and the other me's to transport )

• Like 2

• Administrators

Heck of a price tag to the VW vans though.

I've been looking at the PSA stuff, vauxhall and even mercs, which also have a price tag. One that drops like a rock!

Got close to 40% off a new pug van... Bonkers.

I am going to look at a Merc Spinter Auto which is wheelchair adapted mini bus with not a high mileage, still has rear ramp fitted. A perfect bike transporter / sleeper.

Not that expensive.

My Semi High Roof MWB Transit durashift was a total nightmare gearbox wise, but then it was a Demonstrator that slipped through FORD's net when they were supposed to be recalled and crushed.

Works vans perfect for parking up where these days it says 'No camping / no overnight parking'.  

'Shieldaig'.

2007-09-27 001 023.JPG

2007-09-27 001 025.JPG

2007-09-27 001 031.JPG

2007-09-27 001 029.JPG

glenshee bikes 024 (1).JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...