Faulty Amundsen Unit from 2015 Yeti

Hi, Im after some advice please people, I have a customer with a faulty Amundsen Sat Nav. Whilst my company repair sat navs, we mostly do the handheld ones, but as I have upgraded the headunit in my Octavia Im assuming eplacing the one in the Yeti may be as simple ( I haven checked any guides yet but shall) My main query is any direction as to the correct model on ebay and hsould it be just a straight swap or would any coding wiht the computer have to be done, to be compliant with the MAXIDOT for example?

Thanks in advance

What model Amundsen is it? There are three.

The early Amundsen (which most likely wasn't fitted to the Yeti), the Amundsen + (which looks identical to the Amundsen but is very different in function), and the Amundsen Mediasystem which was fitted from 2015 onwards.

Does it look like this?

amundsen1.jpg

Or does it look like this?

amundsen2.jpg

Then in that case you're going to hit problems. All those units have Component Protection software built in. Essentially what this means is that each unit it tied to the donor cars VIN number, and cannot be used in another vehicle. As soon as you install one in the wrong vehicle then the unit will lock itself and be useless. There are no security codes any more, just rigid protection based on the car and the unit being locked together.

To replace one of these units you have a couple of options.

1. Go to the main dealer with the vehicle and the Amundsen you've bought and ask nicely if they'll remove the Component Protection from the car, replace the unit, and reapply Component Protection with the new unit. At this point the donor unit may or may not have all the features activated which the old one has, so (possibly) Bluetooth, navigation, Car Play / Android Auto etc. may not work and will require an unlocking fee (basically a license to use the software) for each element which isn't working.

2. Buy a unit which has had the Component Protection bypassed and all features activated. Bypassing the CP involves some hardware trickery to stop the unit reading / being read by the car so that Component Protection doesn't work. Components are soldered to the main board inside the unit to do this. As a (presumably) legitimate company your boss might not find this a viable solution.

3. Buy a suitable unit and find someone who is prepared to do the work detailed in 2 for you. Again your boss may not like this solution.

4. Wash your hands of it and send the customer to the main dealers.

• Like 1

Im thinking number four mate,it s a job Id rather not take on without knowing how to price it really...thanks for the advice :)

If you know anyone in the Newcaste area who could code my upgraded headunit in my Octavia, its a Columbs RNS-510 if I remember correctly, so I could have the nav instructions on my MAXIDOT please put them my way :)

Cheers

I wil be, my familt live down south so Im regularily up and down the A1, Ill get in touch when I know Im next going down to find out the details and see if we can make arrangements, excellent cheers!

• Like 1