Oil filter question

Hi, I got a 2.0 diesel VRS April last year and it was serviced by a picador garage before i bought it from the dealer (px one owner) every other service has been done by Skoda and the Car is immaculate. Anyway, slight issue occoured with the water pump leaking and I had to wait to book it in. Long story short the Car overheated and it caused a low oil pressure issue. Got the car to Skoda and after two lots of diagnostics they told me the wrong oil filter had been put in and had moved when it overheated causing the oil pressuer drop which has in turn caused a knocking in the engine they are worried about. Spoke to picador and they are adamant they installed the correct filter and i havent got a reason to complain. I know i was a couple of months over the service date but that shouldnt matter if the oil filter was wrong should it? Attached pictures of the filter taken out and the one that Skoda said should be in there. Any advice as I'm a bit stuck on what to do next? 

20180705_153043.jpg

20180705_153030.jpg

Depends on your engine. Could be one or could be another. Get the engine code (in the service book or on the sticker in the boot) and find out in the link below.

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/vehicle/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Vehicles/CARS %2B TRANSPORTERS/SKODA/Octavia II/2.0 TDI RS ( (1Z3, 1Z5)) BMN, CEGA, CFGB (T68979)

Thanks. I'll take a look. The mechanic at Skoda was positive it was the one with the rod and seal, to the point he took it out in the Car park and showed me how it fits in. It's just a case of proving to picador that they put the wrong one in I guess. 

^^^ ?  So what mileage has the car done?

Was there an invoice from the servicing garage showing the Oil Filter on it when you got the car,

and was it showing VW507 00 oil as well?   Obviously they know their job, or should do, they seem to be claiming to, so just get in writing from them what filter they use on your engine type.. 

The thing is, your contract is with the Dealer you bought the car from, who they have service the cars is their issue, and now yours, 

but you can not hold them responsible IMO. 

Hold the seller responsible if they are a business.

Edited by Offski

Total 80k between buying and now 11k.

I approached the dealer 1st and they passed me on to picador. They are part of one and the same company just different branches. It's a picador Vauxhall dealer and the Skoda was a on their 2nd hand px forecourt. I'm trying to get the paperwork out of them but it's proving difficult. All I have is a stamp in the service book. 

Sometimes the little stalk bit at the bottom gets detached from the filter body and left in the filter housing. It's just a tight push fit. However it is essential for the correct flow of oil through the filter. Did Skoda remove the stalk bit or was it missing completely from the filter? If it was never there and should have been then the filter is not working as it should and "might" cause wear to your engine.

Yeah. Just had some news. Basically all the part numbers match up and the stalk bit and top should have been there. When Skoda took the filter out it wasn't in the housing and the paper filter was free moving. However damage to the bottom of the paper filter suggests it forced over the bottom of the housing and somehow stayed in place for over a year untill the over heating issue dislodged it. I've spoken to picador and they are saying unless I can prove the filter was incorrectly fitted with pictures or a video i can't do anything. Skoda didn't record removing the filter but have stated on their invoice it was the wrong filter and replacing it solved the oil pressuer issue. Not sure where I can go from here. Skoda are saying I should take the complaint further up the chain and get the motor ombudsmen involved. 

Also Skoda are 99% sure it's caused a ware issue in the top of the engine and that would explain a tapping noise that the Car has had since I've owned it. I thought the tapping was just a general engine noise to be honest but it's gotten alot worse since the oil pressure dropped. 

If you can get Skoda to write a report that states that the filter was incorrectly fitted and this was noted at the time of removal and that in their expert opinion this has caused damage and wear to the the top of the engine then you "might" get somewhere.

Without a report from Skoda I have a feeling that you won't get very far. If there is wear to the top of the engine it will be a complete new cylinder head (or refurbished 2nd hand) at a cost of ££££ or £££. The wear will be to the camshaft, followers, injectors etc. If the low oil pressure was sustained for a long period then the bottom of the engine might have suffered too. :crying::crying::crying:

• Like 2

Not only would oil pressure have always been lower than it should have been, contaminated oil will have bypassed the filter from day one. Some damage will have been done to many parts that rely on lubrication.

Agreed that a written statement standing by their findings is required from the Skoda dealer and I hope you have kept the old part. Check on any paperwork from Picador that might show part numbers. If Picador were honest they could trace the part actually fitted through their records.

Very difficult to determine what would be reasonable compensation for this act of negligence however or what remedial action if any is required.

Edited by xman

Agreed. Very difficult to see what damage has been caused. Skoda have provided me with a written statement as part of their invoice. They are backing me 100% and have been the ones to push me to take action. I am fully aware that I was 2 months behind the service date but I nor they see how that is an issue if the filter was fitted incorrectly. Also Skoda agree that the oil was never being filtered properly and the pressuer would have been low since the last service just not low enough for the Car to pick up as a fault. And damage may have been caused by this, its all in their statement attached to the invoice. Unfortunately picador have the paperwork to back up that they were sent the correct filter. I've spoken to their supplier myself and checked the part numbers. It all seems correct. I can only assume either the wrong filter was in the box or it was broken and the plastic outers were removed and it was fitted anyway. I have the oil filter and a statement to say it was in the Car however picador are saying I still need to provide more proof. Frustrating to say the least. 

Edited by Jon87