DPF - do's and don'ts

Gabi4

Hi to all,

I observed that, sometimes, the start-stop function doesn't stop anymore the engine, that the engine runs at around 950 rpm and that the message on the screen is "The Engine must be running". Also, there is a smell of something being very hot.

Are these signs that the DPF started a clean up process? I suppose that this happens, so I'm driving around until the signs dissaper, in order to avoid the stopping of the engine and to cause the clogging of the DPF due to the sudden stop of the process.

Is my assumption correct? What should I do in this situation? What advises can you share regarding DPF?

Edited by Gabi4

I’ve only ever owned one diesel and sold it after 18 months.

Had problems with the dpf and egr clogging up because I only did short runs.

The dpf regeneration only happens when you are travelling at a high-ish speed.

The engine puts extra fuel in to heat up the dpf and burn the soot off into ash.

Maybe if you are mid regeneration and come to a stop everything is hot and needs time to cool down.

I’m no diesel expert though, they’re smoky and smelly, I know that much.

Gabi,

Which model engine do you have??

My experience with 4 VAG Diesels from 2009 onwards - 1-1.9 PDI and three 2.0 170/150 hp TDI - all in Skoda vehicles is that they are not smoky or smelly, and the regeneration process for the DPF functions well - even when you stop in the middle of a regeneration. It just waits till you start again and the conditions of temperature and pressure drop across the filter are right for another regeneration. You do not have to drive at any specific speed etc., except if the car instruments asks you to.

My Karoq does idle at around 1000 rpm on occasion - when there is a reason for it - regeneration or high use of A/C, presumably also if the battery has been used much and needs to charge.  My driving needs are many short trips around town and about one longer trip once a week or so.

The old 1.9 PDI did not have a DPF installed.

If its doing a regen you don't have to do anything, you can turn off your car and it will wither resume next time you drive it, or it may have done sufficient to not have a regen for a while.

The problems arise when you do constant short runs, that will cause the car to keep trying to regenerate and you will end up with poor fuel economy, shortened life of the DPF and possible oil contamination.

My car is a Karoq 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG. 

Each day I'm driving around 17 miles, in town, with Start-Stop sytem active and in Normal mode. Because of the traffic and the start stop system, the engine stops quite a lot.

My dealer advised me to drive in Sport mode in town, however.

At each 2 weeks I'm doing an outside trip.

9 hours ago, Gabi4 said:

My car is a Karoq 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG. 

Each day I'm driving around 17 miles, in town, with Start-Stop system active and in Normal mode. Because of the traffic and the start stop system, the engine stops quite a lot.

My dealer advised me to drive in Sport mode in town, however.

At each 2 weeks I'm doing an outside trip.

Sounds OK to me - provided the outside trip is long enough to get the engine properly warm.