Buy now or wait

ronniebarker

I am looking at the purchase of a new/used Karoq 1.5TSi Edition or I thought I was till I spoke top a local(ish) agent this morning.

I can find the car I want with the added options/spec through a Broadspeed online quote of £27 214.

The information from this morning however, is that build times are currently running around 22 weeks and the changes to model line up for 2019.

My question(s) is should I wait for the new model/options in 2019? (4wd, Digital dash, etc)

If so when in 2019 would these be available.

If I buy now, would the residual value drop as the 2wd TSi will become obsolete next year.

Probably a separate thread but would options above the Edition spec are considered worthwhile

Many thanks

47 minutes ago, ronniebarker said:

I am looking at the purchase of a new/used Karoq 1.5TSi Edition or I thought I was till I spoke top a local(ish) agent this morning.

I can find the car I want with the added options/spec through a Broadspeed online quote of £27 214.

The information from this morning however, is that build times are currently running around 22 weeks and the changes to model line up for 2019.

My question(s) is should I wait for the new model/options in 2019? (4wd, Digital dash, etc)

If so when in 2019 would these be available.

If I buy now, would the residual value drop as the 2wd TSi will become obsolete next year.

Probably a separate thread but would options above the Edition spec are considered worthwhile

Many thanks

From what I understand anything ordered now will be MY19 so if you want the 1.5TSI Edition (if it's still available) then AFAIK this will be 4x4 and DSG although I was told a few weeks back that the Edition model was being discontinued, information from Skoda UK is not very clear, see the thread on MY19 and you will understand what I mean.

This is the response I got from a dealer earlier today who was still advertising the Edition model via CarWow

Unfortunately the Edition spec has been removed from the range until further notice. This is so they can revamp the spec. the prices quoted are already at cost price so there would be no further discounts available. However for the SE L spec, if you ordered today, we would be looking around a January delivery.

Exactly the same as I was told, I wanted to order the Edition 1.5TSI DSG for delivery in January 2019 when my Tiguan lease car is due back, if the Edition DSG is only going to be available in 4x4 I can see the lease cost shooting up in which case I may pass and go back to my second choice of a Peugeot 3008 GT Line Premium Auto which at the moment is the same sort of price as the original price I was quoted for the Edition in FWD. 

• Like 1

I've finally got it sorted (almost).

I've just agreed a price and paid a deposit  on a used demo 1.5 Edition. Registered in April and less than 500 miles.

Windscreen price was very good but px offer was very low however  they know they  have me over a barrel and wouldn't budge.

The only negative is when. They can't  release the car until they can find a replacement. The forecast is September and they will refund £150 for each month beyond this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronniebarker said:

I've just agreed a price and paid a deposit  on a used demo 1.5 Edition. Registered in April and less than 500 miles.

Windscreen price was very good but px offer was very low however  they know they  have me over a barrel and wouldn't budge.

The only negative is when. They can't  release the car until they can find a replacement. The forecast is September and they will refund £150 for each month beyond this.

I hope they are going to stop using it as a demonstrator now that you have committed to buying it!

14 hours ago, ronniebarker said:

So what happens if they forecast September, but their replacement doesn’t come until March (apart from them knocking 6*£150 off price)

I only ask as no one seems to be able to get one (if not already on order)

You have both asked the questions that I asked.

Yes it will be used as a demonstrator until the forecast replacement arrives in September.

If the date goes beyond this then they will re-value my PX although they haven't commented by how much.

The thing is however, that the windscreen price is just under £26K and nobody else has an Edition in stock for less than £29K.

The potential delay/spec/cost of ordering new are to vague for me to feel comfortable about ordering new.

For these reasons, I am prepared to take the gamble