Yeti Tailgate Release Recall

youngbaz

HI

A few weeks back I had an issue with my tailgate release motor.  After much juggling, starting engine, locking, relocking etc, it recovered.

Then yesterday it recurred.  When hitting the remote unlock, there was no 'clunk' from the tailgate, and it wouldn't open.  I had to crawl in via the rear seats and push the emergency release to the left with a screwdriver.  Although the tailgate partially opened, it still wouldn't go the last little bit.  After pressing the release by the number plate several times I eventually heard the motor whirr, and it did this reassuringly a few times.  Next time I tried it - same again - so back into the load area from the inside and repeat with the emergency release.  Exactly the same symptoms.

Vehicle was booked into the dealer for tomorrow morning  - under warranty.  Sod's law ... today it was working fine.  I called the dealer to say I would still like to bring it in if possible, even though it was currently working, as I was concerned it might recur when the loadspace was full with heavy objects.  Were they happy for me to bring it in, and was it likely they could diagnose even if functioning OK?  Much to my surprise, the girl in service department said: 'Yes, certainly, we have a recall on the tailgate mechanism, so not an issue at all.'

I haven't trawled the historical posts here to see if this recall had already been flagged - but if not, be aware; maybe call your dealer proactively?

For the record, my Yeti is a run-out 2017 registered Drive - 150bhp diesel.

Yes I accept those comments. In fact that's exactly what I said to my wife when telling her what had happened. Nevertheless 'recall' was the word the girl used on the phone.  

I guess I was just wondering whether others had come across it. I have to say that I find the 'dealer action' reassuring as it does at least show there's a recognised fix. 

I had the same issue with my first Octavia. My local Skoda dealer at the time was a bit dismissive. 'Well it IS only an Audi part,' he explained.