Stock vs Factory order?

Seen it on ebay. A company will come to you UK wide to fit it. I’m thinking of it as the Mrs reversed the Qashqai into a few different things previously!!

762E3C01-6E8A-4598-BF46-3409422B0E94.png

21 minutes ago, robk999 said:

I've got a Qashqai as well and it has the 360 degree camera which is really good.  It's a shame it's so expensive for the Kodiaq :(

Ours had the 360 cameras too but it took reversing into a parked van and then (4 weeks after fixing the bumper) a low post in a car park for her to start using them lol

1 hour ago, robk999 said:

I've got a Qashqai as well and it has the 360 degree camera which is really good.  It's a shame it's so expensive for the Kodiaq :(

Worth every penny to make sure I can get into and out of parking spaces, and not kerb the wheels... but to be honest, it is the rear cross-alert that has saved my bacon so far - twice it has automatically braked for me to stop me reversing out of a space when some idiot has been tearing around the Tesco car park towards me.

3 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Worth every penny to make sure I can get into and out of parking spaces

Or.....................you can just park further away. It never cease to amaze me how people do 4 point turns to squeeze into a space near the entrance of a supermarket/store when it takes less time to park further away where you have more room to swing the door and won't have to worry about your car getting dented by careless people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Crassus said:

Or.....................you can just park further away

You've evidently never been to the Tesco near me on a Sunday morning. You park in whatever space you find first, because the chances of finding another one are next to none.

And parking in the farthest reaches of a car park seems to then attract other cars to come and park next to you anyway. Usually ones that are all bashed up and don't inspire any confidence in you that they have been careful when parking and opening their doors next to your pride and joy.

1 hour ago, atki81 said:

Seen it on ebay. A company will come to you UK wide to fit it. I’m thinking of it as the Mrs reversed the Qashqai into a few different things previously!!

Local dealer quoted £500 fitted, so I’ll probably be giving him the extra 1p

2 hours ago, atki81 said:

I don’t know but that seems a lot of money for the basic low version of the camera that doesn’t have the guidance of steering input, no mention of washer system etc.

A lot of these driver aids encourage laziness.

Whilst I'm lucky enough to have good mobility i.e full use of my neck I'll make do with front and rear parking sensors.

19 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Whilst I'm lucky enough to have good mobility i.e full use of my neck I'll make do with front and rear parking sensors.

If you’ve ever reversed three miles down a Cornish single track road to let an ambulance out, you’ll be glad of a camera. We’ve one in my Bear, just got to get the wifes done now.

I find I use the mirrors to judge distance either side of the car when reversing into a space and only use the camera for working out how much space there is left behind the car. I have full use of my neck, but it’s impossible to see what’s directly behind the Kodiaq and how much of a gap is left without getting out of the car or using the camera. 

If I’d had the cross traffic sensor do an emergency stop 3 times for me whilst reversing out of a space at Tesco, I think that would be telling me to reverse park into the space and put up with a bit more hassle loading the shopping. It’s far safer to drive forwards out of the space, and the electronic emergency brake only needs to get it wrong once...

4 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

it’s impossible to see what’s directly behind the Kodiaq and how much of a gap is left without getting out of the car or using the camera

The rear parking sensors can aid if you don't have a camera. When the beep becomes becomes constant the car is 30cm away from the obstacle. However this isn't useful when there isn't an obstacle as you don't want the rear end to protrude into the parking space behind.

There is no denying that reversing cameras are useful on big cars. I am glad they will soon be mandatory. 

14 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Hell yeah. DSG + ACC + Lane Assist = one lazy-ass driver... but driving all the way to the south of France was so less tiring than in a manual box with no cruise control or lane assist. So I reckon that made it a hell of a lot safer.

13 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I've had a few loaners with cameras and still favoured my mirrors.

I use my mirrors and the cameras. As in the previous quote, they are aids, not replacements.

7 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

If I’d had the cross traffic sensor do an emergency stop 3 times for me whilst reversing out of a space at Tesco

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You either park front in and know you can still get in the boot, or park rear in and either hang out the front a bit or take the chance that you're not going to get in the boot because of crap poor parking from the person behind you. And it's not me reversing out the space that's the problem, it is the idiots that use the car park as a race track and pay no attention to the people who are trying to manoeuvre in and out of spaces.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You either park front in and know you can still get in the boot, or park rear in and either hang out the front a bit or take the chance that you're not going to get in the boot because of crap poor parking from the person behind you. And it's not me reversing out the space that's the problem, it is the idiots that use the car park as a race track and pay no attention to the people who are trying to manoeuvre in and out of spaces.

Agreed. Far easier to reverse out of a space, you just need to go very slowly.

8 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

And it's not me reversing out the space that's the problem, it is the idiots that use the car park as a race track and pay no attention to the people who are trying to manoeuvre in and out of spaces.

It would be lovely if people drove more carefully. But they don’t. 

Personally I worry less about who the problem is, and more about what I can do to avoid the crash happening, because that’s the only thing I can influence. Taking the car to the body shop and being without it for a while would definitely be my problem. 

Like  I say, a balance between the inconvenience of carrying the shopping a bit further (or finding a space that backs on to a walkway) and the inconvenience of taking the car for repair and higher insurance renewals. 

As for mandatory cameras, Google found this: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/11-car-safety-systems-to-become-mandatory-by-2021

Suggests cameras or “detection systems” will become mandatory. I’ve no idea whether parking sensors are considered a detection system. I suspect that by 2021 360 cameras will be standard fit on higher spec cars anyway - as manufacturers keep up the specification arms race with each other. 

14 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

I suspect that by 2021 360 cameras will be standard fit on higher spec cars anyway - as manufacturers keep up the specification arms race with each other. 

That's not going to happen.

If Reversing cameras and front parking sensors become mandatory then 360 cameras will be up sold to buyers. Most car manufacturers like to give as little equipment as they can get away with - including premium brands. The gap between the cars given to press and pre-reg ones flogged on the showroom floors is getting bigger and bigger. 

Edited by Crassus

23 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

I use my mirrors and the cameras. As in the previous quote, they are aids, not replacements.

Mirrors are aids too. I found that the camera didn't offer any additional benefits to reverse parking over the audible parking sensors and on-screen graphics. A bit like Park Assist, more of a gimmic to impress passengers with.

If I regularly towed then being able to see the towball would be a nice advantage.

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Mirrors are aids too. I found that the camera didn't offer any additional benefits to reverse parking over the audible parking sensors and on-screen graphics. A bit like Park Assist, more of a gimmic to impress passengers with.

I disagree that reversing cameras are a gimmick. Where parking is very tight, which is very often in Kent, the camera enables me reverse with centimetre precision to the object behind. Likewise from a visibility point of view when reversing out it provides extra peace of mind on nursery runs, at work or out of my drive view. The view of field is much wider than that offered by the mirror combined.

One question. Does speccing a reversing camera on Skodas include dipping side passenger side mirror? My Fabia doesn't have a reversing camera but my BMW does.

One question. Does speccing a reversing camera on Skodas include dipping side passenger side mirror? 

I think you you have to have electric seats to get the feature,

They're a gimmick in the same way adaptive cruise control is now.

We're the manufacturers guinea pigs, the advantage of developing cameras on cars is for autonomous driving, that's their ultimate goal.

Until then they can charge us more for the latest 'must-have' feature.

I'm lucky and don't have the need for centimetre precision behind me. ACC is still too dumb to offer a significant advantage over regular cruise control.

We all view things differently so each to their own, that is one good thing about Skoda, their cars are very customisable.

20 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

They're a gimmick in the same way adaptive cruise control is now.

21 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

ACC is still too dumb to offer a significant advantage over regular cruise control.

Now you're starting to sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You may not like ACC and you are perfectly entitled to that opinion, but it is not dumb and it does offer a significant advantage over regular cruise control (especially when combined with a DSG (or other auto) 'box). Yes, there are some things about it that annoy the crap out of me, but there is no way I could go back to normal cruise control now.

3 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Now you're starting to sound like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. You may not like ACC and you are perfectly entitled to that opinion, but it is not dumb and it does offer a significant advantage over regular cruise control (especially when combined with a DSG (or other auto) 'box). Yes, there are some things about it that annoy the crap out of me, but there is no way I could go back to normal cruise control now.

I’ll happily second that. I did a 6+ hour drive in the car yesterday and got out at the other end feeling fresher than I’ve ever done before from a similar drive. On the busy A roads and motorways that I used standard cruise control would have been of no use at all, whereas ACC was brilliant and took a lot of the hard work out. 

1 hour ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Dumb is exactly what it is.

It couldn't see the lorry in lane 1 indicating to move to lane 2.

It didn't notice the lorry as it was crossing the white line.

It only noticed the lorry once it was completely in lane 2, by which point heavy braking was required. The system was set to maximum distance.

The system didn't notice the lorry indicating to pull back into lane one. The system didn't see the lorry begin to pull back in. The system maintained its speed until the lorry was fully back in lane one, at which point it accelerated hard back to the set speed.

Without ACC I was able do everything ACC wasn't able to do, just far smoother and to the benefit of other road users, and without the unecessary braking.

It's easier to spot a car driving on ACC, they're the ones in heavy traffic with their brakes lights flashing on and off almost constantly, causing a chain reaction and slower progress all round.

I'll take Front Assist for that occasion I miss something, or my reactions aren't fast enough. For modulating my speed I'll use my eyes and right leg, it's more effective than ACC.

You're right, I'm entitled to my opinion. ACC divides opinion like petrol vs. diesel and manual vs. auto. There isn't a right or a wrong. What there is however is a polite and balanced way of putting an opinion across, something I've noticed you aren't very good at.

• Like 2