Resolution to B pillar foil trim issue

Thought I'd post how this was resolved, since people on other threads have seemed a bit unsure of price.

The B pillar foil stickers on my Fabia became damaged and started cracking/peeling (photo 1 below), so I phoned the local Skoda garage who got me replacement stickers for £5 each - quite reasonable. What was not reasonable, however, was the quote they gave me for labour, which was £70 per strip! So, I decided to do it myself - that was, until I discovered how tricky it was to get the window trim off in one piece (at least, it seemed quite easy to break to me).

So, I phoned the Skoda garage again, asking for advice on removing the window trim to expose the B pillars. The guy was less than helpful, even claiming the procedure was intellectual property of Skoda... pulling some rubber off the windows! Eventually, he admitted he didn't really know how it was done because they outsource that stuff to a bodyshop down the road (Steve Walker in Bathgate; http://www.walkersbodyshop.co.uk/). I phoned the bodyshop and they quoted me £48 to do all four strips.

The car is just back and the before and after pics are attached. In total it cost me about £70 for parts and labour.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4

...Cheeky bugger! Intellectual property! So Skoda invented cars too did they, or were they someone else intellectual property? Nice to see you got the job done although I think I would have checked the cost to have them colour code painted myself! (Mine already are colour matched to black magic fabia). I much prefer that to the matt black look.

I know. I could understand if I'd phoned up and asked him to talk me through an engine rebuild, but pulling the rubber off the windows!

I quite like the matt black with the green, but then green and black is a classic combo!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

It's a shame that someone hasn't actually seen how these foils were replaced. I've got both sides of mine that need replacing, but can't figure out how the window trim is removed to get at the panel that needs to be recovered.... :crying:

Cheers Offski, this video gave me some ideas about removal of the seals, but apart from that you're dead right, the process for the Fabia is quite different. Sadly there are no removable panels, but the foil trim is attached directly to the door frame.

I've now taken a look and dry run at how it can be done. It certainly involves releasing some window trim and door seals, but at least can now see how I can tackle the job. I'll prepare a pictorial as I can see this occurring on a regular basis and might help others. My foil trim started to delaminate then crack after the car was only 3 years old (bought from new)....

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Well, it only took one year to plan and get organised.... 😀 but finally I got around to doing the job a few days ago, and here's the highlights with some photos:-

1. Fully retract window glass

2. Use a trim tool to lift the outside weather strip until clear of the frame up to about halfway along the door (this just makes removal and, more importantly, replacement of the rubber window pillar glass seal/guide [next step] easier)

3. Prise out the pillar seal, and lift out the lower section from the door frame (nearest to the exterior door handle)

4. Photo 30: Carefully 'roll' the upper corner of the seal towards the outside of the door frame to release the seal, then gently withdraw about 8 - 10" of the seal to keep it out of the way when working on the foil. Don't release too much seal, particularly nearer to the bend in the window frame, as there is a small clip on the seal which retains the seal to the frame at this bend, and can easily be broken.

5. Now you have full access to the foil. I found removal of the old foil and cleaning the paintwork after to be the longest, tedious job, as it tends to break into pieces. There is always a residue of the adhesive left on the paintwork, and found that isopropyl alcohol wouldn't touch it; in the end I had to use petrol on a rag to firstly 'dissolve' the old adhesive, then use the isopropyl alcohol to totally clean the surface in preparation for the new foil. Make sure all of the old adhesive is removed, as I am convinced the new foil will show every defect underneath....

6. Attaching the new foil is relatively easy, as 3M have helpfully added to some tabs to hold on to so you don't get your fingers on the adhesive surface. Make sure you line it up to have the same size 'roll around' edges front and back of the pillar, and gently start at the top to smooth down the foil to make sure there are no air bubbles, creases, etc..

7. When the new foil is completely installed, replacement is the reversal of the above. One tip I found saved me a lot of time: apply a small amount of grease to the sides of the bottom section of the seal that is to be re-mounted back into the corner of the door frame at the lower corner of the pillar (nearest to the exterior door handle). This helps slide it back in, otherwise the rubber tends to resist and bind; and you might find (as I did), that if you raise the window glass very carefully to about an inch proud of the door frame, then you can lift and raise the glass forwards to enable the rubber seal to go in behind. 

8. Finally, in short burst on the switch, raise and lower the glass to check it runs freely.

Set aside an hour for the first door....😉

Optimized-DSC00023.JPG

Optimized-DSC00024.JPG

Optimized-DSC00025.JPG

Optimized-DSC00027.JPG

Optimized-DSC00028.JPG

Optimized-DSC00029.JPG

Optimized-DSC00030.JPG

Optimized-DSC00031.JPG

Optimized-DSC00033.JPG

Optimized-DSC00034.JPG

Optimized-DSC00035.JPG

• Thanks 3

Just a very quick one on this subject can anyone tell me why some variants of this fabia have glossy type 'b' pillar coverings on these doors? I asked a Skoda dealer if I could order these but they told me these are a different type fitment. I believe they are clipped in. Especially the VRS and Monte Carlo models have them fitted which match the 'a' piller windscreen mouldings. On my vehicle they are really worn and will need changing but it is a very bad cheap design. I prefer to retro fit the glossy type instead of the 'satin black'. I've never seen the glossy types worn out! Just seems strange why the manufacture would change the design.