Proud new vRS owner!

I've been lurking around these forums for years and finally acquired a vRS the other day. I'm super happy with it and it's lovely to drive! I do have a small question though. It's a MK2 facelift petrol, there isn't much history with it other than Skoda's which is useless. The tensioners, is there anyway to check if they're the most recent version? My mechanic seemed to know all the issues with them the other day, then when I brought it in for a full check after buying it, he said they won't ever go as it uses a chain... Like his memory went blank! Anyway, I'll try upload some pictures of the beauty!

IMG_20180719_135146__01.jpg

• Like 1

You really need to find out if it has the tensioners sorted or you might soon be a not so proud, VRS owner.

I have a 1.8tsi of the same vintage as yours and the timing chain jumped and wrecked the engine when the previous owner had it at about 35k miles.

Luckily for me I got a 6 year old car with a 2 year old engine in it, but there was nothing in the service manual to say it had the engine changed. (swapped by Skoda).

Question the previous owners or previous service centres if you can or try Skoda UK.

Thanks for the replys lads. The service history is sketchy at best. I'll try contact Skoda and the previous owner when the logbook comes back! I am getting quotes for the tensioners anyway as i think regardless i'll just get it done! Has anyone heard of the newest revision, the k, going? I've never heard any mention of it.

Definitely go into a Skoda dealership and ask, before buying mine they were able to tell me that the timing chain tensioner had been changed under warranty in 2012.  The then owner didn’t know and I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t have bought the car without that information.