Do You Have a Dashcam?

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

^^^  Same place as mine  ^^^.        Did you get the rear one as well ?

No just the front one, a friend owns the company that fitted it so got a bit of a last minute bargin. 

Since I've moved from Kent to Norfolk and changed my commute from the M20 to B roads the amount of people taking offside bends on wrong side of road drives me mad so with new car, I've invested in this should the worse happen

Hi Goldfinger,

I also have a NextBase 412GW (they were on offer at Halfords just before Christmas) and bought one for our other car too.

Had them both hardwired in with the official NextBase kit to a permanent live in the fuse box.  Took about 45 mins for each vehicle.  With the NextBase hardwire kit, there is a piggy-back connection for the fuse-box, you just need to find a suitable fuse that is always 'ON'.  In both of our cars, the fusebox is behind the gloveox and the cabling runs up the door pillars and roof headlining - you can only see around 4 inch / 10 cm of cable looping behind the mirror.

On the Octavia, the camera is placed just to the left of the rear view mirror.  On my Ford Focus the placement is more problematic due to the HUGE sensor enclosure behind / below the rear view mirror where some of the field of view is obscured.

Picture quality is great and also very good at night operating at 30 fps 1440 HD mode.  Easy to read number plates of other vehicles.

Haven't tried updating the firmware yet - I gather that it's not a very user friendly process.  Certainly the deletion of files through the dashcam's interface is awkward.

Initially had the G-sensor set so that it would record a protected video if the dashcam detected a bump whilst parked - but even at the lowest setting it kept recording protected videos whichh soon fill up the card.  It wasn't as if the bumps were significant - even opening the door was enoght to record a file - so now set to 'off'.  Anyone else had this with the NextBase 412GW?

A word about memory cards (applicable to any dashcam).  Whilst my particular dashcam accepts Micro SD cards (up to 32Gb) like many others, DON'T be tempted to use the cheapest you can find.  Even the likes of Sandisk Ultra Class 10 (around £14) aren't suitable for dashcam use as the card is being continually written to.  Expect cards like this to fail at some point (and the warranty specifically excludes dashcam and surveillance cam usage).

You need to buy a 'High Endurance' card - such as this from Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/micro-SD-Card-for-Dashcams.  They are only a pound or two more expensive than the ordinary cards you can pick up in Staples / Halfords / Argos / WH Smith etc but specifically say that they are intended for dashcams and home security use.  Would be awful if you relied on dashcam footage only to find that the card had failed and you couldn't read the video files.

As someone else said, the bundled software is good. To view videos in highest quality needs a relatively new computer. My laptop is about 8yo now and struggles a little (totally agree with this).

Hope this helps,

Zaph

Edited by ZaphodB
Clarity

41 minutes ago, ZaphodB said:

Hi Goldfinger,

I also have a NextBase 412GW (they were on offer at Halfords just before Christmas) and bought one for our other car too.

Had them both hardwired in with the official NextBase kit to a permanent live in the fuse box.  Took about 45 mins for each vehicle.  With the NextBase hardwire kit, there is a piggy-back connection for the fuse-box, you just need to find a suitable fuse that is always 'ON'.  In both of our cars, the fusebox is behind the gloveox and the cabling runs up the door pillars and roof headlining - you can only see around 4 inch / 10 cm of cable looping behind the mirror.

On the Octavia, the camera is placed just to the left of the rear view mirror.  On my Ford Focus the placement is more problematic due to the HUGE sensor enclosure behind / below the rear view mirror where some of the field of view is obscured.

Picture quality is great and also very good at night operating at 30 fps 1440 HD mode.  Easy to read number plates of other vehicles.

Haven't tried updating the firmware yet - I gather that it's not a very user friendly process.  Certainly the deletion of files through the dashcam's interface is awkward.

Initially had the G-sensor set so that it would record a protected video if the dashcam detected a bump whilst parked - but even at the lowest setting it kept recording protected videos whichh soon fill up the card.  It wasn't as if the bumps were significant - even opening the door was enoght to record a file - so now set to 'off'.  Anyone else had this with the NextBase 412GW?

A word about memory cards (applicable to any dashcam).  Whilst my particular dashcam accepts Micro SD cards (up to 32Gb) like many others, DON'T be tempted to use the cheapest you can find.  Even the likes of Sandisk Ultra Class 10 (around £14) aren't suitable for dashcam use as the card is being continually written to.  Expect cards like this to fail at some point (and the warranty specifically excludes dashcam and surveillance cam usage).

You need to buy a 'High Endurance' card - such as this from Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/micro-SD-Card-for-Dashcams.  They are only a pound or two more expensive than the ordinary cards you can pick up in Staples / Halfords / Argos / WH Smith etc but specifically say that they are intended for dashcams and home security use.  Would be awful if you relied on dashcam footage only to find that the card had failed and you couldn't read the video files.

As someone else said, the bundled software is good. To view videos in highest quality needs a relatively new computer. My laptop is about 8yo now and struggles a little (totally agree with this).

Hope this helps,

Zaph

I have a Blackvue 650s 2CH fitted ( Front and rear ). they provide 24/7 recordings and I can see footage of the cameras via my iPhone.  Also I parked on the drive in such a way where I can see has been/ is a my front door.

Nice piece of kit

On 29/07/2018 at 14:44, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have a Blackvue 650s 2CH fitted ( Front and rear ). they provide 24/7 recordings and I can see footage of the cameras via my iPhone.  Also I parked on the drive in such a way where I can see has been/ is a my front door.

Nice piece of kit

any luck getting the GPS tracker to work, can you get it to connect to BT hotspots?