Fabia Monte Carlo Insurance

Hi all, I'm usually over on the Octavia forum but I'm hoping to be buying a 2011 Fabia Monte Carlo (TSI 104bhp variant) for my wife this weekend and hoped I could get some opinions on insurance.

She is going to be swapping over from an old 2004 Golf SDI, its done us proud but is on its last legs now. The question is what should I be expecting from insurance premiums for the monte carlo over a more standard fabia?

I have done the usual insurance comparison site quotations and the monte carlo seems a lot more expensive than the golf to insure. My wife has been driving for 20 years, has the equivalent no claims, no convictions etc. as good a record as you could want, yet the insurance quotes are coming back close to £370 to £400 per year. Obviously the Fabia is much newer and definitely better specc'd but those prices are more than what I pay currently for my Octavia VRS so I was just a bit surprised.

I appreciate that small things can affect insurance so I'll do some more detailed work but is it just that the monte carlo is a more expensive model to insure just because of the additional extras and 'sports' credentials?

It doesnt sound that bad to be honest, Wifes Monte 2016 is £320 with LV, and thats with 1000 miles business use, she also gets extra discount from work. Both of us named drivers on each other policies helps.

my VRS is £380 quote me happy. Remember your car is newer and 'on paper' worth more than older cars in the same class if written off. 

It sounds a crazy price on cars that were less than £15,000 new, have no sporting credentials of any kind other than the name. That has not even got 'Sport' in it, 

rear drums and repair parts are Mk2 Fabia other than the black 'trim' parts making it a Monte Carlo.

Best try the Insurance Brokers that are BRISKODA sponsors. 

As mentioned, there are a number of variables that affect an insurance premium. The best thing to do is shop around to find the level of cover that suits you best against the price you are 'prepared' to pay.

My last renewal for the vRS was less than £300 with a large amount of cover so savings are out there to be found.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi said:

It doesnt sound that bad to be honest, Wifes Monte 2016 is £320 with LV, and thats with 1000 miles business use, she also gets extra discount from work. Both of us named drivers on each other policies helps.

my VRS is £380 quote me happy. Remember your car is newer and 'on paper' worth more than older cars in the same class if written off. 

Cheers for that info, interestingly I've just tried an insurance search for an Elegance, an S and an SE and TBH there is barely any difference so with the above in mind I'll probably stick with the Monte as the other half likes the look over a standard Fabia and so do I TBH coming from a VRS....Now just got to make sure the ones I'm looking at have the later timing chain kits fitted!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lee said:

As mentioned, there are a number of variables that affect an insurance premium. The best thing to do is shop around to find the level of cover that suits you best against the price you are 'prepared' to pay.

My last renewal for the vRS was less than £300 with a large amount of cover so savings are out there to be found.

I think you are spot on there, one thing that we are factoring in is a new address we are moving to and I haven't mentioned private driveway for example, or that the car will have dash cam and rear cam as well.....so as you say, some savings can probably be found.

Cheers for all the replies as well.

Insurers don't like people moving house imo. Best to actually talk to insurance people (your existing co, also try Aviva, Direct line) they can usually be more flexible than online quotes. Comparison sites have always turned out expensive for me

24 minutes ago, rawcas said:

I think you are spot on there, one thing that we are factoring in is a new address we are moving to and I haven't mentioned private driveway for example, or that the car will have dash cam and rear cam as well.....so as you say, some savings can probably be found.

Cheers for all the replies as well.

Parking a car off the road at the home address does seem to make a big difference. I am fortunate enough to put the vRS in a garage with the wife's Fiesta Zetec S  (just don't!) on the drive in front of that whenever they are not being used plus my IAM certificate does count with certain insurers.

What was most odd is when I tried to add the wife as a named driver the premium went up but when she added me to her policy it dropped right down. Weird.

2 hours ago, Lee said:

2 hours ago, Lee said:

What was most odd is when I tried to add the wife as a named driver the premium went up but when she added me to her policy it dropped right down. Weird.

Simple. Your wife is higher risk than you. Hence she ups yours and you down hers.

8 hours ago, rawcas said:

Hi all, I'm usually over on the Octavia forum but I'm hoping to be buying a 2011 Fabia Monte Carlo (TSI 104bhp variant) for my wife this weekend and hoped I could get some opinions on insurance.

She is going to be swapping over from an old 2004 Golf SDI, its done us proud but is on its last legs now. The question is what should I be expecting from insurance premiums for the monte carlo over a more standard fabia?

I have done the usual insurance comparison site quotations and the monte carlo seems a lot more expensive than the golf to insure. My wife has been driving for 20 years, has the equivalent no claims, no convictions etc. as good a record as you could want, yet the insurance quotes are coming back close to £370 to £400 per year. Obviously the Fabia is much newer and definitely better specc'd but those prices are more than what I pay currently for my Octavia VRS so I was just a bit surprised.

I appreciate that small things can affect insurance so I'll do some more detailed work but is it just that the monte carlo is a more expensive model to insure just because of the additional extras and 'sports' credentials?

I would try to get a late 2012 model as the timing chain tensioners are known to be problematic. The 86ps and 105 ps engines are the same except for ecu calibration!