Please help me with Brake Discs and Pad choice

mitolab

I have a 62 reg 170bhp Yeti, remapped by shark :)

I've been told it needs new discs and pads all round. After getting a quote for 300 (not including labour), have decided to source the parts myself. I was going to go for Bosch but have seen people comment that they are now made in China. I get the impression that ATE discs and brakes are quite highly regarded. Also open to any other recommendations. I would really appreciate if people could guide me to the exact links for discs and pads that suit the 170 yeti.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

These days it's harder to find things that aren't made in China. The key thing is quality control - and I would imagine that Bosch parts would be just fine.

You could always take the opportunity for an upgrade.

I've had EBC discs on mine, coupled with EBC Yellow pads all round. It's a very good upgrade and works perfectly from cold, no squeal either, unlike other uprated pads I've used in the past.

Mine's also a Shark'd 170 :)

1 hour ago, muddyboots said:

These days it's harder to find things that aren't made in China. The key thing is quality control - and I would imagine that Bosch parts would be just fine.

You could always take the opportunity for an upgrade.

I've had EBC discs on mine, coupled with EBC Yellow pads all round. It's a very good upgrade and works perfectly from cold, no squeal either, unlike other uprated pads I've used in the past.

Mine's also a Shark'd 170 :)

Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose you'd be a hero and find links or part numbers to the exact discs/pads you used?

cheers

Edited by mitolab

I bought a set of grooved discs and pads from MTEC last summer for our 170 Yeti  -> https://www.mtecbrakes.com/

Can't fault them - you can get some noise when breaking heavily from speed (but I kinda like that!).

In fact I was that pleased, I bought a set of grooved and dimpled for my Jag (3.0 XF S)

Cheers

Geoff

1 hour ago, lippy427 said:

I bought a set of grooved discs and pads from MTEC last summer for our 170 Yeti  -> https://www.mtecbrakes.com/

Can't fault them - you can get some noise when breaking heavily from speed (but I kinda like that!).

In fact I was that pleased, I bought a set of grooved and dimpled for my Jag (3.0 XF S)

Cheers

Geoff

What pads are you using? The MTEC own brand?

Must admit, that having not used MTEC before I went with Mintex pads.

However, my brother-in-law (who also happens to have a 3.0 XF S) bought a set of grooved and dimpled for his car (independently) and he went with the MTEC pads - and he's more than happy with the performance.

Next time I'll be going all MTEC.

Must admit, that having not used MTEC before I went with Mintex pads.

However, my brother-in-law (who also happens to have a 3.0 XF S) bought a set of grooved and dimpled for his car (independently) and he went with the MTEC pads - and he's more than happy with the performance.

Next time I'll be going all MTEC.

I

They're sold out of front pads so I think I'll just go for the mtec discs and mintex pads as you did.

£175 for discs and pads on all 4 corners. Sound reasonable?

Can't recall what I paid, but I couldn't find any else that came anywhere near even with shipping. 

I also added the coating to them. Still there 1 year on, though starting to rust a bit, but better than if not added - specially the rear discs which seemed to rust rather quickly even from new.

On 26/07/2018 at 13:25, lippy427 said:

I had grooved EBC disks before and switched back to plain for that reason - the drone from the fronts when really hot got quite annoying :)

On 26/07/2018 at 13:22, mitolab said:

Thanks for the advice. I don't suppose you'd be a hero and find links or part numbers to the exact discs/pads you used?

cheers

In case it's of any use, this is what I bought last time:

D1386 discs (312mm fronts, plain non-grooved disc)

D1772 discs (272mm rears, plain non-grooved disc)

DP41517R Yellowstuff pads (front)

DP42075R Yellowstuff pads (rear)

Be aware also that two different sizes of rear disc have been fitted at different times...272mm and 286mm. Pads are different too. Can you guess how I know :)

I *think* 286mm was only on early models. My 2011 170 has 272mm fitted.

Edited by muddyboots

28 minutes ago, muddyboots said:

Be aware also that two different sizes of rear disc have been fitted at different times...272mm and 286mm. Pads are different too. Can you guess how I know :)

I *think* 286mm was only on early models. My 2011 170 has 272mm fitted.

Thanks Muddyboots.  Those discs/pads a bit more than I was hoping to pay. But good point on the rear disc size. I have been trying to figure this out. My car is a 62 reg so can we safely assume they are 272mm?

Cheers

apologies mitolab only just seen the above, so this is probably too late (I don't look on the forum on a regular basis and thought I'd have got a mail if a thread I'd replied to had new content - like other forums do).

Just checked my mails - didn't sign up to the MTEC website and it looks like I ordered over the phone, but there was some confusion over the rear disk size as at the time of my order they didn't show 272mm as an option (probably why I ordered over the phone).

Yeti is the 170bhp model on a 13 plate

This is what I asked for via email and then followed up with a call to place the order. Total cost was £193 with delivery and the silver coating,

Front brake discs (MTEC1353) - grooved only
Front brake pads Mintex (MDB2604)
Rear brake discs 272mm diameter - grooved only
Corresponding Mintex pads.

Hope that helps.