Variocage Dog Crate - Superb III

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a Variocage in the back of their Superb III?

I want the biggest one possible, but I can't definitively find out which would fit. I'm confident the Double Large would fit, but this page says the Double XL won't fit in the Superb, but will fit in the Octavia, which I find odd. However, I suspect the more acute slope in the Superb tailgate may have some impact on what's possible.

Pic of the XL in the Octavia below - I think it must be the slope of the Superb that hinders it. 

Anyone got any direct experience?

image.thumb.png.a519d1533be6e2e2a5c5a0c848de7156.png

Edited by CheshireBumpkin

4 minutes ago, ajl124 said:

I will be fitting these when my car eventually arrives and also get a boot liner from The Hatchbag company.

All have worked well in my Octavia Estate.

https://www.travall.co.uk/skoda/superb-estate-2015--/safety-pack-tdg1495-tdg1495d

I have a travall guard fitted at the moment - it's very good. However, I'm looking for a safer solution to prevent accidental trapping of young and inexperienced dogs in the electrically operated tailgate. It scares the **** out of me where dogs are concerned. With my old girl I could be sure she would sit and stay at the back of the boot whilst it closed. With a young, unpredictable dog who hasn't yet learned the process there's a massive risk of them getting trapped at the last moment unless they are restrained in some way. It takes far more resistance than a dog's body could provide to stop the tailgate closing.

Edited by CheshireBumpkin

Be really careful. I was aware of it with my old dog, but never particularly worried as she was very calm and well trained. As I now look at young, active, as yet untrained dogs, I have no idea how I'll manage until they are reliable enough to sit and stay at the back.

Other than a Variocage / crate or similar, all I can think of is tethering the dog to guard at the back, closing the boot, and then untying them from the back seats. A proper pain in the backside!

I'm erring towards the variocage as it's fully crash-tested and I've always had a huge paranoia about being hit by a car from behind and the effect on my dog. It's a shame that the dog's space would be restricted versus the full boot, but I do have a (slightly disproportionate to the risk probably) fear of a rear end crash when my dog is in the car.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just incase anyone ever needs info:

I tested the Single L+, Single XL, Double L+ and Double XL, I ended up going with Double L+ because I do want to use the compartment under the boot floor occassionally, XL requires to drop it permanently.

Feel alot safer with our landseer puppy in the boot now, as similar to the previous poster, I also had enormous anxiety in regards to protecting my dog if anything ever happens. Luckilly into the Double L+ our familys australian shepherd also fits together with the landseer so will be very good in the long term.