Steel rims with winter tyres. NOW SOLD

jerbear

Set steel rims 7J x 16 with Kankook215/60 Hankook  winter tyres. Average tread depth just under 5mm ( see pics).

Been used on my Yeti and Scout for three winters . Set wheel trims to fit. 

Now £140 ono

118811DE-E823-4B64-A3B8-0F66CC07D258.jpeg

79C5A3A2-0E04-485B-B8F6-CC40CFFC646A.jpeg

F9A7FFCD-7F22-4668-A074-539ACEB24392.jpeg

002B9833-9DA5-45F2-A0DD-C4E2D32EC408.jpeg

A52A9AFF-40C4-449C-9E9C-17CC14A1B316.jpeg

97616310-37DA-414C-A843-CBFBAC3B698D.jpeg

Edited by jerbear

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, laurencemchenry said:

Would be interested, just need a weight for one wheel tyre in order to get accurate postage costs for courier pickup.

I will pop one on the scales and let you know

I'd be interested in knowing how you got on with them in different conditions other than snow e.g. slush/black ice/heavy rain and standing water.  I've been thinking about getting a set of winters for my Yeti, insurance co say fine as long as OEM rims and OEM approved size of tyres.  Got a bit tired (pun intended) of practising my tobogganing skills last winter on low profile summer tyres. 

But there's so many reviews which come back saying one make is good and the next review from another magazine has it lagging at the bottom.  The cynic in me suspects which tyre wins has something to do with which manufacturer spends the most ad revenue with that magazine

I think all winter tyres work well as long as temperature is below about 7 degrees. I had a lot of confidence in them in all weathers during the winter, although always gave them some respect if there was ice about. 

We had the first real snow fall here last winter for years and I was really impressed where I could go. My work is a bit remote so prefer to use a winter set up. Horses for courses I suppose. 

Just bought another set for my new motor, Golf R estate....now that should be interesting in the snow :nerd:

B4803173-C7CC-4471-AC1C-9405FD2B4DDD.jpeg

10 minutes ago, laurencemchenry said:

Sorry I'm out, initially guessed around 15kg mark and was quoted £100, but at nearer 20 gets to expensive.

Paiseley freight will post a lot cheaper than that 

• Like 1

If Laurence can't make the freight costs to NI work out cheap enough I'd be happy give them a go if you're happy to have a courier collect them.  People seem to reckon that 16" rims and narrower tyres are the way to go for good winter handling, so it'd be a cheap way to actually try out winter tyres for a season without shelling out 500 or so quid on new ones plus rims to find I don't like either the make of tyres or the ride on 16" rims.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, widdershins said:

If Laurence can't make the freight costs to NI work out cheap enough I'd be happy give them a go if you're happy to have a courier collect them.  People seem to reckon that 16" rims and narrower tyres are the way to go for good winter handling, so it'd be a cheap way to actually try out winter tyres for a season without shelling out 500 or so quid on new ones plus rims to find I don't like either the make of tyres or the ride on 16" rims.

Never packed wheels before but willing to give it a go.

Actually found the ride a lot better on 16” wheels myself, had they fitted my new car I would have kept them.

let us know how you would like to proceed. 

Coming up to Scotland in October but wouldn’t have the room unfortunately 

Ok, as Laurence hasn't come back I'll step in.

Since they're steel wheels with big rubber bumpers surrounding them, rather than bare alloys, scratching or dinging them won't be an issue!  I'd guess some old cardboard, parcel tape, and a stanley knife would suffice, if you've remembered the skills you learned watching blue peter when young (providing there's a responsible adult available to supervise you)..:biggrin:

Ironically, I suspect the problem wouldn't be the wheels but the trims.  Not sure if they'd fit within the back of the rim enough to keep them safe.  In any event they're only trims, so if they get bust it won't break the bank for a  new set.  You can probably get a set of 4 for a fiver (inc postage) all the way from from China on fleabay.

You do get what you pay for though, so if the rims were expensive alloys I'd probably use someone that weren't offering to ship them the length of Britain for around 8 quid a wheel!   But paisleyfreight would probably do the job ok for steelies.  Problem is they can't give a time for pickup, only a day, which means someone hanging round waiting on the courier turning up.  I've found another outfit called parcel2go who give you the option to use parcelfarce and drop-off at either their depot or some local post offices whenever you choose if that'd be more convenient?  With that option you have to print off a label and stick it to the parcel (wallpaper paste, clear sticky backed plastic, or similar, in best Blue Peter tradition) before handing the parcel in.

I'd be happy to go with whatever option suits you

Edited by widdershins

8 minutes ago, widdershins said:

Ok, as Laurence hasn't come back I'll step in.

Since they're steel wheels with big rubber bumpers surrounding them, rather than bare alloys, scratching or dinging them won't be an issue!  I'd guess some old cardboard, parcel tape, and a stanley knife would suffice, if you've remembered the skills you learned watching blue peter when young (providing there's a responsible adult available to supervise you)..:biggrin:

Ironically, I suspect the problem wouldn't be the wheels but the trims.  Not sure if they'd fit within the back of the rim enough to keep them safe.  In any event they're only trims, so if they get bust it won't break the bank for a  new set.  You can probably get a set of 4 for a fiver (inc postage) all the way from from China on fleabay.

You do get what you pay for though, so if the rims were expensive alloys I'd probably use someone that weren't offering to ship them the length of Britain for around 8 quid a wheel!   But paisleyfreight would probably do the job ok for steelies.  Problem is they can't give a time for pickup, only a day, which means someone hanging round waiting on the courier turning up.  I've found another outfit called parcel2go who give you the option to use parcelfarce and drop-off at either their depot or some local post offices whenever you choose if that'd be more convenient?  With that option you have to print off a label and stick it to the parcel (wallpaper paste, clear sticky backed plastic, or similar, in best Blue Peter tradition) before handing the parcel in.

I'd be happy to go with whatever option suits you

Pm’d You 

• Gizmo locked this topic