Has the Mk3 diesel inherited the Mk2 issues?

I'm considering changing my 2010 1.6TDi for a 2015 2.0TDI and was wondering what issues I might expect. My main concern is the EGR and Clutch/ Flywheel, but would be interested to find out if there are other problems I should look out for. In the 1.6 I have the EGR mapped out, but that causes other issues with taking an age to heat the car and having more of a diesel clatter on cold mornings. My clutch release bearing is on it's way out and has been for the past year (80k on the car now).

I have also been looking at the 1.4TSI but estates are few and far between and they are more expensive than the 2.0 TDI (over my budget).

Thanks.

The main common issues with the 2L TDI I can think of are:

- Electronically Controlled Water Pump which fails somewhere around 30k-50k miles resulting in temporary overtemperature warnings. (Make sure this is done before you buy or the dealer/Skoda will pay for the replacement)

- Boost Pressure Sensor connector/wiring (depending on when the car was built (affected cars from Q1&Q2 2014)

- Generic "BOOM" in the cabin which affects all Octavias (indpendant of engine type) -> still no solution from Skoda so make sure you have driven the car you buy before you take it.

I havent seen any recurring complaints on the forum about EGR, clutch or DPF.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gabbo said:

The main common issues with the 2L TDI I can think of are:

- Electronically Controlled Water Pump which fails somewhere around 30k-50k miles resulting in temporary overtemperature warnings. (Make sure this is done before you buy or the dealer/Skoda will pay for the replacement)

- Boost Pressure Sensor connector/wiring (depending on when the car was built (affected cars from Q1&Q2 2014)

- Generic "BOOM" in the cabin which affects all Octavias (indpendant of engine type) -> still no solution from Skoda so make sure you have driven the car you buy before you take it.

I havent seen any recurring complaints on the forum about EGR, clutch or DPF.

Thanks Gabbo. Don't know about the water pump. Car im looking at has 38k miles from an independent garage. Will ask about work history and maybe phone the previous skoda dealer where it was serviced. Not sure about the boom but i know the suspension on my mk2 1.6 was awful noisy from new. My old mk1 was so quiet but i put some of it down to going from hatch to estate (less to block the noise). Car is being sold with 6 month warranty.

Like many other similar vehicles the Octavia (all types) road noise experienced inside is often related to the tyre fitted. OEM Pirelli are often criticised for noise, complaints about Continental were common a few years ago but seem to have decreased. Not sure if this is due to rarely now being fitted or whether the later versions are better.

Take a tyre pressure gauge with you on the test drive because who knows when it was last tested on the forecourt.

Gabbo's provided a good summation of the main issues raised in the forum.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

The noise on mine isn't so much tyre related as it sounds like the bootlid isn't shut correctly, yet no matter which way you adjust it it never goes away.

Otherwise, 1.6TDi, no real issues. Occasionally it takes it a few seconds of turning to start, maybe once a week it'll do this.