park assist

prokaryotic

I have Karok edition 1.5 DSG, with drive assist and park assist, generally I am more than happy with the car, only thing I am not faimiliar with is park assist, try to watch several you tube videos and tried it but not very confident and terrified of hitting some objects! I asked my dealer to give me a demonstarion, they calimed that they are not faimiliar with it, anybody who has park assist on Karok and used it, please give me tips and guidance thanks

Suggest your have a practice. I practiced on a large car park that had just a few cars on it. At first it was strange but with a little practice, confidence grew and now I find it very useful. It is especially good for keeping the car from stuffing kerbs when parking, saving any damage to the alloys.

14 minutes ago, Livrishind said:

It is especially good for keeping the car from stuffing kerbs when parking, saving any damage to the alloys.

Only if the cars parked in front and behind you are well away from the kerb. If one is parked close to the kerb or on it your alloys will suffer. 

PA is only good for entertaining passengers it’s so much slower than reverse parking by yourself.

• Like 1

Speaking from using it on a Yeti (Karoq may be different) as Kenny says the car will align itself with adjacent vehicles and not the kerb. It is disconcerting at first, you will get used to it.

The biggest problem with park assist is the length of time the vehicle has to be stationary before starting the manoeuvre. You can't park quickly and in practice you don't have enough time in moving traffic to allow the system to engage - consequently I've only used it a handful of times in seven years.

I

• Like 1

I use it a lot of the time now, but it was nerve racking to start with, just take it steady keep checking your door mirrors and the front  of the car and you will be fine.

On 19/08/2018 at 12:37, prokaryotic said:

anybody who has park assist on Karok and used it, please give me tips and guidance thanks

You'll get used to it after a few tries. You just need to practice it somewhere with not so much traffic. 

-turn the signal on what side you want to search for parking spaces, and right after hit the park pilot button

-now it's a mix between watching the road, driving really slowly and with one eye watch the maxi dot display to see when it actually found a spot

-you should watch a few youtube videos until you get what I mean, but generally it shows a picture of the car going by a row of cars, and when a spot appears between those cars that means the system found a good spot to park in

-now you should really slow down, because you need to get past the spot a bit before the system will actually try to park. I found that compared to my own parking, the system tends to go a few meters further from the spot...as in it needs a bigger area to maneuver. That's why I found it a bit impractical when there's traffic around you.

-anyway, at one point you'll get an audio queue, and the display tells you to put it in reverse. One you put it in reverse you should keep your hands off the steering wheel and just control the brake. (I have autohold turned off, so for slow speed maneuvers I just control it by easing off the breaks)

-if it's a clear spot without weird obstacles such as shopping trolleys or bins or boxes, you should really have nothing to worry about hitting anything. You'll hear the usual beeps when you're getting close to other cars and you just have to slowly back into the spot following the instructions

-if you watch the maxi dot display closely, there's a vertical "progress bar" of some kind. That one tells you how much longer you have to go in reverse, then you'll get an audio queue again, it will tell you to go in drive, and once again the progress bar tells you how much you have until you have to stop.

-how much going back and forth depends on how tight the spot is, or basically how satisfied you are with the parking. It can ask you to go a couple of times in reverse and in drive for some really small corrections, and sometimes I just turn the car off because it was parked ok after the first 3 maneuvers. 

It's actually usable when you already have a parking spot in mind, as in you saw it already and you want the system to take care of the rest. Because otherwise really "searching" it via the system is very slow and weird. So I go on a street, I manage to see a spot a few cars in front of me, turn the signal, hit park pilot, go slow and if the system manages to recognize the parking spot it's great. If not, I'll park it by myself. What it REALLY helps with is perpendicular spots from shopping centers. I appreciate that the car will park itself just right so you can open the doors on both sides. If I do it by myself I'll always mess it up on one side and park the car too close to the one next to it. But again, the system needs a bit more room than I would usually, and it takes a bit more time as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Razvus said:

You'll get used to it after a few tries. You just need to practice it somewhere with not so much traffic. 

-turn the signal on what side you want to search for parking spaces, and right after hit the park pilot button

-now it's a mix between watching the road, driving really slowly and with one eye watch the maxi dot display to see when it actually found a spot

-you should watch a few youtube videos until you get what I mean, but generally it shows a picture of the car going by a row of cars, and when a spot appears between those cars that means the system found a good spot to park in

-now you should really slow down, because you need to get past the spot a bit before the system will actually try to park. I found that compared to my own parking, the system tends to go a few meters further from the spot...as in it needs a bigger area to maneuver. That's why I found it a bit impractical when there's traffic around you.

-anyway, at one point you'll get an audio queue, and the display tells you to put it in reverse. One you put it in reverse you should keep your hands off the steering wheel and just control the brake. (I have autohold turned off, so for slow speed maneuvers I just control it by easing off the breaks)

-if it's a clear spot without weird obstacles such as shopping trolleys or bins or boxes, you should really have nothing to worry about hitting anything. You'll hear the usual beeps when you're getting close to other cars and you just have to slowly back into the spot following the instructions

-if you watch the maxi dot display closely, there's a vertical "progress bar" of some kind. That one tells you how much longer you have to go in reverse, then you'll get an audio queue again, it will tell you to go in drive, and once again the progress bar tells you how much you have until you have to stop.

-how much going back and forth depends on how tight the spot is, or basically how satisfied you are with the parking. It can ask you to go a couple of times in reverse and in drive for some really small corrections, and sometimes I just turn the car off because it was parked ok after the first 3 maneuvers. 

It's actually usable when you already have a parking spot in mind, as in you saw it already and you want the system to take care of the rest. Because otherwise really "searching" it via the system is very slow and weird. So I go on a street, I manage to see a spot a few cars in front of me, turn the signal, hit park pilot, go slow and if the system manages to recognize the parking spot it's great. If not, I'll park it by myself. What it REALLY helps with is perpendicular spots from shopping centers. I appreciate that the car will park itself just right so you can open the doors on both sides. If I do it by myself I'll always mess it up on one side and park the car too close to the one next to it. But again, the system needs a bit more room than I would usually, and it takes a bit more time as well.

Thank you Razavus, that is a very comprehansive guide, so far I have manged it 4 times on a ouite road, I appreciate it and it is matter of acquaring confidence :)