power tools

mcbunny

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilti or Metabo (check spelling of the last one) for drills.

Failing that you cant go wrong with black and decker, check the power rating on drills (obviously the more power, the better). Dont bother with a cordless hammer drill, they're a waste of time compared to a mains one.

Dont bother with a cordless screw driver - get a cordless drill that has a screw driver bit attached (black and decker)

In short - use a mains drill for drilling and a battery drill form screws. Dont try and use a mains drill for screws, it'll spin too fast and mash the screw head.

Electric sanders are handy but they do make a lot of mess. Bosch do some nice ones.

Circular saws are great fun - 12inch blades are great for chopping through stuff you could easily do with something smaller :thumbup: Very noisy, very messy, very much fun (probably dangerous too)

Laser levels are a good gadget to have too - get an auto leveling one though as the others are a little pointless.

Dont buy cheapo "own brand" masonary drills if you're going to do more than hang pictures. B&Q's own brand ones (pro-line I think) are easily defeated by breeze block walls.

A drill (for putting up all those shelves, curtain rails, etc, etc) is invaluable. I recently bought a cordless B&D Quattro to complement my mains powered hammer drill as it's more convenient for quick jobs and can also be used as a screwdriver too and it's been excellent.

I guess it depends what you have planned, but I also picked up a Dremel multi-tool thing which is pretty nifty too.

Chris

first its replace the bathroom then its new kitchen then every other room. after that its just general use it on a sunday to make it look like im been manly and making my self usefull lol

I have a box full of the stuff and only ever use the cordless screwdriver/drill and a power drill.

My advice is get a really cheap 1/2" keyless chuck 240v drill and the very best cordless screw/ drill you can afford the more torque the better ( De Walt style )

Get a good quality handsaw and a mitre saw if your doing skirtings & architrave

Wallpapering & cleaning get a dual steam cleaner / stripper.

Anything else i'd borrow.

I would not recommend De Walt. If you want a quality cordless SCREWDRIVER , then go for the Bsoch professional range, and at least 12v. Bosch professional have 0rpm starting, so they dont bounce away on the screw head because the driver has gone from 0rpm to 100rpm the moment you start to press the trigger.

I would buy the best you can, and try to stick to the trade versions which are tougher and longer lasting.

In all honesty, Black and Decker is a name I would steer clear of as they are only really DIY enthusiasts stuff found in the DIY stores. Go to a real tool merchant....and be amazed at the quality gear available, as well as the wallet draining possibilities.

Quality tools will last you almost forever and be dependable.

Wallpapering & cleaning get a dual steam cleaner / stripper.

I found the steam strippers knackered the plaster on my walls - undoubtedly a deficiency in the plaster, but nonetheless a wet sponge gave much better results (ie. just removed the wallpaper).

Corded drill is a must, I bought a JCB one, not sure if that's a "budget brand" or not but it's been sufficient for anything I've needed to do with it. Definitely definitely definitely do not skimp on the drill bits though, cheap ones are a waste of money.

I've never bothered with a cordless drill, preferring instead to use a screwdriver (again, don't buy too cheap as they make the heads out of putty).

I also have a B&D jigsaw and a B&D mitre circular saw - the jigsaw has been very useful, the mitre circular saw I could probably live without. Again, don't skimp on the price of the blades...

The other invaluable piece of kit (IMHO) is a WorkMate (or generic imitation)...much easier to cut stuff if it's clamped down properly... :D

Rob.

All my powertools are Bosch, never a single regret.

Invaluable is a good drill; something which is powerful enough to drill holes in thigns, and flexible enough to screw stuff together too, shoudl get something great for well under a ton.

I have a jigsaw too, great fun for making my bird table! Not essential, just a fun tool.

Sanders are crap, dont bother with one of those.

If you are moving into an old house (ie not a crumbly newbuild) then the walls are likely to be very thick - and the small cordless drill aint going to touch the walls. You'll need to use a big SDS drill for putting holes inot the walls, but they are expensive, so just find someone with one to borrow.

So really, just a good quality drill, and I'd highly recommend a Bosch, not messing around with anything else. I find any excuses to buy other powertools tho :)

Have fun!

I'm killed 2 Bosch jigsaws, both through the same fault - the wheel that gides the blade is held in place by a teeny weeny shaft, which breaks and the wheel falls out :doh:

Lawn Mowers - I got a big green B&Q own brand type thing. Its actually a propper yankee petrol engine and never fails (cant remember who actually makes them for B&Q though)

The one tool I think is almost vital for the onwer-rebuilder is an electric planer. Go for the professional versions again, as they will normally have 2 blades in the drum as opposed to 1 in DIY stuff. Again, like all my kit its Bosch professional (thats cordless screwdriver, powerdrill, jigsaw, planer, reciprocating saw and sander) The heat gun and steamer are not, but ok for the little I use them.

My advice would be to work out exactly what it is you are going to do yourself, as opposed to thinking what you could do if only you had the right tools LOL.

If you are talking about a complete refit - which it seems you are - and you don't even know which power tools to buy, then it really is a job for the professionals IMO. Aside from the fact that for electrics, plumbing and gas, it is anyway.

So, just work out what jobs you are going to have left over that you can do your macho thing with.

Personally, all as said above - excluding Black and Decker, which are either not up to the job or the motor burns out just after the end of the guarantee period. Just my experience. Bosch is fine by me. An electric sander is also fine by me, but I've never really found those dusbags to work very well. Best either to sand outside, or if indoors, to close and tape the door, open the windows and set the vacuum cleaner going on its side throughout the process, whilst of course wearing a face mask.

Quite so re drill bits as said. The only thing I would add is that even good ones wear out quickly. You really need to use a sharp one, and that means £'s each.

Emphasizing IMO that you should only be looking at power tools that you really really think you need (after the professionals) - or start remortgaging the house to pay for everying - (consumables like white spirit, sandpaper, brass and chrome screws eek! rubber gloves, J-cloths, black plastic bags, doveralls and washing machine cost).

If it's your thing, good on yer; if it's not, then don't underestimate the add-on costs.

Regards

Mo

Get a wife, v. expensive but if treated corectly, regularly serviced etc will last a life time. Mine needed the optional extras, a CREDID CARD, and a CHEQUE BOOK, I have found though that all the jobs get done to a high standard, but the extra overtime required to run one can be a pain.

its not a total refit the house is only 8 years old so is in good condition its just it has a pink bath suite and the gf wants rid of that. My god father is a plumber so that side is sorted. as for the kitchen thats not a problem either mounting carcases isnt a huge task neither is cutting the work surface all electrical stuff will be done by a lad from work (we build park homes as well as 101 other things) i will be just doing the bits any compitent diyer could do

Oh the joys of modern plasterboard stud walls:thumbdwn:

Seeing as your house is newish, I wouldn't really think you need a 240 power drill, probably more need of a decent cordless driver. Even the cordless screwdrivers can drill competently, and seeing as your walls are more than likely mush that is all you will need.

Mo, where is your sense of adventure? You never learn anything if you dont mess things up a few times. DIY is what I say, be confident and call in a pro if you ever mess it up.

Doing things yourself is great fun, especially when learning.

Nothing DIY is difficult if you use your brain and take your time.

Perhaps its a man thing ?