Disappointing ride and handling on superb mk3 estate

52 minutes ago, Offski said:

Malthus,  have you checked what those tyre pressures are at today. 

My guess is around 45-50 PSI.

No I've not had chance today but I will check as soon as I have a moment to do it.  I'm not sure it will rectify the issues, more slightly elevate at best.  Thanks for coming back to me though.  

4 minutes ago, Malthus said:

I understand Skoda's place in the Volkswagen group and that Audi get the first pick for the decent kit, but I don't think it being unreasonable for even the cheaper cars to have suspension and dampers up to the the task of controlling the car.  

As I said that I've drove Hyundais that nail this essential component and they are very much a budget brand. To be fair they are behjnd in other areas but at least they tackle bumps properly and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 30k car to do this, especially one that is meant to be geared to comfort. 

I agree about setting your budget and working up from there but I felt the superb would hopefully punch above its weight a bit more and I now wish i stretched the budget a bit more, especially as Audi are quite good on PCP.  Live and learn I guess.  

No doubt about that, and none-adaptive chassi shouldn’t be the problem, neither the tire pressure, if the dampers are that incapable of handling bumps then I’d say that it must be something else going on. I mean if anything I think the dampers on my MY15 are handling bumps with almost too much comfort, if you know what I mean :P 

However, I remember some talk, could be at this board, where someone had taken a look at problematic and loud dampers and found some transporting blocks stuck there that should’ve been removed by the salesman first time the car was ready to hit the streets. They had been stuck there for quite some time. Could be worth looking into maybe? 

18 minutes ago, Offski said:

By now salesmen or saleswomen should know to check that the fitter or tech removed the Transit Blocks, but as for that being their job, 

no way Jose.   They have plenty of stuff that is their job that they can not be ar53d to do.

Yeah sorry for putting the blame on them, it seems to be a problem anyhow, or it has been at least. :/

21 hours ago, Malthus said:

I think getting the car checked is definitely a good idea but I think the problems lie with cost cutting and lack of tuning for the dampers and springs and way they work together. 

I agree about the A3 as my experience with them is a car which has a brilliant ride handling compromise which gives you a lot of confidence over rough tarmac. The only car which I felt was better was the Hyundai i20 oddly. Ridiculous that such a cheap car does it better than the superb. My brother in law's A4 feels very similar to the A3 and kind of makes me wish I spent the extra. 

With regard to the previous comments and the adaptive modes.  I feel a fully adaptive mode which apapts continuously like the 5 series has would be perfect but this is a far more expensive car so fair enough I guess. 

Hyundai uses dynamic dampers (nothing to do with dampers and also nothing to do with dynamic suspension) and those make suspension soooo much quieter, smoother and comfortable to drive. You can ask @MartiniB about those and he could probably give you a full two day course about how dynamic dampers work:) 

When you did the test drive with Superb, did it feel any different than the one you recieved? If it did, then there is probably something not right with yours. If it felt exactly the same, then you should start listening less what your wife says:) 

If your undercarriage is ok and tyre pressure also, then all you can do is spend few extra pounds on improving your car. First thing you can do is swaping the dampers to better ones. For example I have heared very good things about Koni FSD's on MK2 Superbs. Dunno how they would be on MK3 but you get the point. Also, if you want the suspension to be better on corners, then maybe changing the anti-roll bar to something better would be in order. 

I myself didn't like standard suspension on Superb and therefore went to DCC and I blody LOVE it. Yes, it took some time to get used to but thats the same with every new car. 

Yes, Superb has some cheaper components but I have seen that Passat and Superb actually share same absorbers. It was 100% so on MK2 but MK3 has several different absorbers product codes so there might be differences with Passat. I have seen atleast one MK3 shock absorber that is identical to Passat so Superb's shock absorbers can't be that bad.

5 series BMW sure has better ride and overall quality but similar specs BMW also costs almost 2x more. So if you spend few hundred pounds extra on your Superbs undercarriage, then you still aint gona reach the 5-series BMW price. And as your wife won't see under the car, you have no problems on that field too:rofl: 

1 hour ago, alf.onso said:

Passat and Superb actually share same absorbers.

just one huge difference,
when problem were noticed on Passats then that problematic model were discontinued and replaced by another.
but where VAG can utilize already produced parts? Škodas and Seats :(

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:23, MartiniB said:

in case Škoda can't find reason of rattles in more than 10 attempts

i have made visit to independent service - Volkswagen dealer "Moller Auto Krasta"

they told problem sounds exactly same as they have heard with Passats 2015 until shock absorbers
3Q0413031BE PR-G09
were replaced by
3Q0413031BE PR-G06;G11

i have found also confirmation in public documents:
http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/BR/PA/2016/793/R/4/411/411010

interesting ..BE PR-G09 still in use for Superbs, and there any word about recall
http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2016/851/R/4/411/411011

but my car got another
3Q0413031AK PR-G04
there also any word about recall or possible replacement
http://www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2016/851/R/4/411/411010

dealer rejected replacement cause rattles aren't problem and no leaks detected

^^^
that is old post,
after long fighting new dealer(Green Motors) replaced front shocks,
but replacement model was exactly same model and that did't make improvement :(
thank god not from my wallet, but next owner will be so happy on spend 900+ euros

On 25/08/2018 at 10:20, Malthus said:

My car doesn't have adaptive chassis but I have driven an l and k with it and didn't rate at all as none of the modes seemed right. Perhaps indicating once again that the dampers are not good enough. 

I actually discounted the car at this point as the ride on this car was terrible. The karoq I drove on the same day was actually far better but my wife didn't like the SUV. 

I have the superb another chance because it's such a lot of car for the money and I put it down to the 19 inch wheels on the land k. Also when I test drove my car it seemed much better but now it seems they choose roads that didn't show the cars our inherent flaws with ride. 

I really regret not listening to my initial impressions for the car and prehaps not listening to my wife. Only got myself to blame I guess.  

So... You test drive the car and thought the ride was terrible but went ahead and purchased it anyway ?

You had someone in the car with you telling you where to go ? It's your test drive so you drive where you want not the dealer. 

They dont  like that walk away.

Yup harsh but you do only have yourself to blame.

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

just one huge difference,
when problem were noticed on Passats then that problematic model were discontinued and replaced by another.
but where VAG can utilize already produced parts? Škodas and Seats :(

^^^
that is old post,
after long fighting new dealer(Green Motors) replaced front shocks,
but replacement model was exactly same model and that did't make improvement :(
thank god not from my wallet, but next owner will be so happy on spend 900+ euros

Thanks for this information. I will go to my skoda dealer and present them with this.  

I guess if they are not willing/unable to sort I will look at trying to reject the cat under the finance agreement.  Will see what happens but that front suspension/ damper is not right.  

Thanks again.  

11 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

So... You test drive the car and thought the ride was terrible but went ahead and purchased it anyway ?

You had someone in the car with you telling you where to go ? It's your test drive so you drive where you want not the dealer. 

They dont  like that walk away.

Yup harsh but you do only have yourself to blame.

No, it wasn't that car that I bought.  It was another test drive and I did previously. I thought I would give the superb another chance with a lesser spec with smaller wheels, and thought it was better and as I expected the superb to be.  It was only once I got it on other roads near me that I realised it isn't actually that much better than the one with 19 inch wheels.  

Further to the original topic I also noticed a burning smell around the back of my superb.  I went to the front of the vehicle but couldn't smell anything at that end. What I did notice is that the main fan had come on after the engine had gone off and remained on for quite a few minutes. I didn't drive very far and the air con hadn't been on.  The temp gauge hadn't gone up and coolant is fine. 

Could any of you guys suggest what is could have been?

Many thanks

43 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Further to the original topic I also noticed a burning smell around the back of my superb.  I went to the front of the vehicle but couldn't smell anything at that end. What I did notice is that the main fan had come on after the engine had gone off and remained on for quite a few minutes. I didn't drive very far and the air con hadn't been on.  The temp gauge hadn't gone up and coolant is fine. 

Could any of you guys suggest what is could have been?

Many thanks

The diesel is performing a DPF regeneration which is quite normal.

Have you checked your front suspension for transport block removal yet? Don't post anymore ride complaints until that is done.

• Like 2