1.4 16v 100bhp fabia has tappy noise

Mike6665

As Ken posted - due an oil change ?

We have a 1.4 16v 100hp in our Polo.

I usually fit a Mann oil filter and the engine seems to sound reasonably quiet on ECP Triple QX 5w 40 oil.

I did try some Quantum 5w 40 a couple of servicings ago but I thought the engine sounded mechanically noisier with it,so last service I reverted to Triple QX and the engine quietened down again.Our engine is quite 'Tappety' when cold/cool but once it gets to normal running temp it usually quietens down ok.

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2018 at 10:06, KenONeill said:

Is it due an oil change? If so, then there's a good chance it will go away after the change.

No all up to date with service has always made the noise just annoying now lol runs as it should tho 

On 05/09/2018 at 16:13, YS53 said:

As Ken posted - due an oil change ?

We have a 1.4 16v 100hp in our Polo.

I usually fit a Mann oil filter and the engine seems to sound reasonably quiet on ECP Triple QX 5w 40 oil.

I did try some Quantum 5w 40 a couple of servicings ago but I thought the engine sounded mechanically noisier with it,so last service I reverted to Triple QX and the engine quietened down again.Our engine is quite 'Tappety' when cold/cool but once it gets to normal running temp it usually quietens down ok.

This is the same oil I use but was told by a shop to use 10w 40 due to age of engine I also use triple qx thanks sound normal then for these engines

16 minutes ago, Mike6665 said:

This is the same oil I use but was told by a shop to use 10w 40 due to age of engine I also use triple qx thanks sound normal then for these engines

Tell the shop that the 1980's called and they want that knowledge back, you can use whatever oil you like, it won't make any difference, once they start 'tapping' they won't stop unless you change all the lifters. Pointless.

@Mike6665 @sepulchrave - It would be interesting to hear this shop's explanation of how a higher cold viscosity benefits the engine. A lower cold viscosity gives you a faster build, and lower starter load (anecdote; I've seen engines on Mobil 1 build pressure enough that the oil pressure light goes out before they fire).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2018 at 10:28, Mike6665 said:

LOL - plenty of BS around with engine oil choices :biggrin:.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when 20w50 was the greatest thing since sliced bread,my old mini van used to run fine on that :thumbup:

41 minutes ago, YS53 said:

LOL - plenty of BS around with engine oil choices :biggrin:.

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when 20w50 was the greatest thing since sliced bread,my old mini van used to run fine on that :thumbup:

What, sliced bread? Was it a bread van then?

22 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

What, sliced bread? Was it a bread van then?

Some of em coulda been I s'pose LOL - 998cc of pulsating power,ran it for a couple of years of cheap motoring,I also rode a brand new Triumph (TR7V) 750 Tiger at the time for nice days :biggrin:

47 minutes ago, mrgf said:

YS53,.... Following this vein of thought, then, I guess you ran the Bike on wholemeal bread, not just plain white sliced?

Use your loaf!

Dough !!!!

Probably on 3 or 4 star fuel :biggrin: although that was soon 'superseeded' by gluten free fuel.