BT modules differences, Swing versions & MDI questions

Conz

Hi all,

So this is once again, another bluetooth topic, because even though I've read just about every bluetooth-related topic on this forum, I'm still not sure what to get.

I have a 2010 Octavia II FL with a Swing radio, (white) Maxidot and no MFSW. I like the Swing radio, it simple, with buttons and no touch-stuff. But I really miss having BT connectivity, so I understand that I need a VW bluetooth module - but which one?

What's the difference between the Low, Standard, High and Premium versions? Ross-tech lists the 3C8 as the newest one, with WiFi (what's that for anyway?) and is a Premium module. But what difference is there between that and e.g. 5N0 or 7P6? Does any of them allow me to answer the phone and/or change tracks with the Swing? Or with lever buttons? Are they all compatible with my Swing radio? I would like to be able to take phone calls, stream music, and pairing more that 1 phone (not simultaneously though).

And speaking of Swing, does anybody know what the differences between the versions / revisions are? I can find at least 5 different part numbers for Swing 1Z0035161 F, G, N, M and P from years 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and after 2013 respectively. The first one seems to be a Blaupunkt, the rest Delphi, but does anybody know the actual differences? Is there any idea in upgrading to a newer revision?

Also, my Octy is fitted in an MDI port in the glove box and an AUX in the jumbo box. If I buy an MDI USB cable will I be able to hear mp3 music from an USB stick? Will I be able to see and change tracks with the Swing? And will the AUX port still be operational?

And speaking of the MDI, I've seen BT receivers for this too, but why haven't anybody made an MDI BT receiver with a microphone? That would be the easiest and cheapest BT module for VAG cars, I think.

Anyway, I hope somebody knows something about some of my questions, and can help me out a bit. Thanks!

I don't know much about the Swing nor the differences throughout it's lifestyle.

The MDI port *should* be able to play MP3's from a USB stick, at least this is possible when connected to other headunits.

Skoda/VAG used two different protocols for connecting to mobiles, HFP and rSAP. When using rSAP the SIM card is effectively removed from the phone leaving it with no signal and all calls/texts are dealt with by the car. The is an issue for newer smart phones as they'll loose data making google maps/waze or similar useless. To 'fix' this, the cars BT module will broadcast a WiFi hotspot for the phone to connect to for data usage.

3C8 035 730 A/B/C/D/E modules require a maxidot cluster but are the most fully functioned, D/E revisions are definitely recommended if you intend to use a smartphone via rSAP. Otherwise, 7P6 035 730 J or above are good for non-maxidot clusters.

I've no idea how or if any of these modules work with a Swing but when connected with other headunits, they are capable of most (everything?) you've asked for.

5 hours ago, langers2k said:

I don't know much about the Swing nor the differences throughout it's lifestyle.

I suspect not many do, unfortunately. 

The MDI port *should* be able to play MP3's from a USB stick, at least this is possible when connected to other headunits.

Sound great! Do you know whether the factory-fitted AUX in the jump box will still work?

Skoda/VAG used two different protocols for connecting to mobiles, HFP and rSAP. [...] To 'fix' this, the cars BT module will broadcast a WiFi hotspot for the phone to connect to for data usage.

3C8 035 730 A/B/C/D/E modules require a maxidot cluster but are the most fully functioned, D/E revisions are definitely recommended if you intend to use a smartphone via rSAP. Otherwise, 7P6 035 730 J or above are good for non-maxidot clusters.

Ah that makes sense, thanks! I do have maxidot. I'm not interested in using rSAP, but rather HFP / A2DP - is 3C8 still to be recommended then? Does the newer BT modules use a newer BT version? Do we know which ones uses what? 

I've no idea how or if any of these modules work with a Swing but when connected with other headunits, they are capable of most (everything?) you've asked for.

I don't see why they wouldn't either, but it would be nice to have it confirmed before spending that kinda money.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! 

39 minutes ago, Conz said:

Sound great! Do you know whether the factory-fitted AUX in the jump box will still work?

It shouldn't make much difference what you connect to the MDI. If the Aux port currently works, it should still work with a USB stick and USB adaptor on the MDI port.

40 minutes ago, Conz said:

I'm not interested in using rSAP, but rather HFP / A2DP - is 3C8 still to be recommended then? Does the newer BT modules use a newer BT version? Do we know which ones uses what? 

If you're not interesting in using the maxidot to control the phone, I think either should be fine. If you want the phonebook etc to show in the maxidot, I think you'll need a 3C8 module.

41 minutes ago, Conz said:

I don't see why they wouldn't either, but it would be nice to have it confirmed before spending that kinda money.

You might want to see what people use with the RCD310. I *think* that's what VW call the Swing headunit...

I'm still interested in answering calls, hanging up, changing tracks somehow using the car - will that not be possible without rSAP? Doesn't sound right to me.

Ah, so it's RCD310 - I've been wondering about that for a while, what the Swing is actually called, and RCD310 seems to be the one. Thanks! It'll definitely make it easier to search for! :thumbup:

Answering and hanging up works on both HFP or rSAP BT connections.

BT streaming needs a module capable of A2DP. I think skipping tracks and track name display will depend on the combination of headunit and BT module.