Update Columbus firmware or not? (2011 Superb 3.6)

Afternoon folks,

I’ve been reading up various threads regarding the possible trials and tribulations of updating my Columbus firmware. Considering I’m an Electrical Engineer, computers of all shapes and sizes seem to hate me. So I thought I’d ask here before endeavouring to update my firmware: is it actually worth the effort?

I got a genuine Skoda V7 Map DVD with the car and based on what I’ve been told about the two previous owners of my car I don’t think anything firmware or maps wise has ever been updated.

That was until I took my Columbus unit out to get some photos of the manufacturer’s labels. Someone has written on the top of my unit in ball point pen, see picture, including the registration number. (Which I’ve carefully hidden with a Halfords Ice Scraper!) So I’m guessing my unit has been removed in the past for some reason…

But I’m going to ignore this fact for now. So let’s assume it is still on the original firmware as shown on the label in the other photograph. What additional features, bug fixes and general improvements am I likely to see if I upgrade the firmware?

Thanks,

Graham

20180915_180840.jpg

20180915_180738.jpg

If you have the original firmware then you'd be advised to update it before loading newer maps on, then you'll have access to all the later functions. Things like Custom Points Of Interest (speed cameras), radio text (tells you what radio station and artist/track is playing), and quicker boot up etc.

Thanks for that Rusty. As you are one of the Columbus "Gurus" on these forums I'll take your advice and go down the upgrade route. However that raises a couple of further points:

Firstly, newer map DVDs, that's a whole topic on it's own. I've been looking around on a well known auction website earlier this afternoon... flippin' heck, buyer beware or what? I thought that since I am on Version 7 I'd buy a genuine second hand Skoda DVD somewhere around Version 11 or 12. Even the ones that claim to be genuine pre-owned, new old stock etc look decidedly dodgy... I'm planning to keep the car for a few years so I may get it serviced at an official Skoda Dealers and pay them to upgrade the maps while they are getting their hands dirty. Depending on how much they want for sticking a DVD in a DVD player of course...

Secondly, based on the details shown on my label what version of firmware should I be aiming to reach?

Thanks,

Graham

Well, before you go throwing money at discs etc. it'd be worthwhile knowing what you're already at. Might be different to the label for a start. I see you're in North East, if you''re close to me then pop in and I'll check it over and see what you have, then we can sort out a viable upgrade path.

Thanks for the offer Rusty, that's just what I need, someone to "hold my hand" through the update process.

I'm near Newcastle but I travel to Whitby every six weeks or so. Maybe I can adjust the timing of one of my trips to suit your availability and take the long route via your place. I'm not in any mad hurry. I've got a TomTom Via 135 with lifetime map updates in the glove box just in case! 

Thanks,

Graham

I'll definitely be taking you up on your offer.

I don't know if I'm okay to send PMs as I'm still a newbie... I'll give it a go now and see if we can come up with any possible dates and times etc.

Cheers,

Graham

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'd like to publicly give Rustynuts my thanks for his help this morning. He invited me to visit him (and Bailey the dog) so he could check out my Columbus unit and advise me on the best route to upgrade the firmware.

So after a visit to his "shed of wonders" and with the minimum amount of pain I am now at Software Version 5238.

Thanks a lot Rusty.

Cheers,

Graham

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2018 at 18:38, Rustynuts said:

Does it improve when the unit has warmed up?

Not really - like today, drove it somewhere around half an hour. Got a coffee, parked up and realised my DAB wasn't tuned into local channels (usually listen to spotify through bluetooth as a preference). Took me three tries for it to register my finger pressing an empty slot to save a DAB channel, and yet sometimes a light brush is all it takes.