Fabia Mk III SE Swing or Swing Plus Radio

Not sure if anyone can help with this. 

Just picked up my new Fabia SE 110 DSG as a replacement for my 2016 Model.  The old car was fitted with the Bolero Radio Unit and worked great.

Now the new model should have the Swing Plus Radio, which in the brochure appears identical to the old Bolero unit.

However my new vehicle appears to only have the basic Swing Radio as fitted to the S model and although it does have the surround sound option, the phone functions are much more limited, eg no display of incoming texts. Also if using the SDcard slot for media it does not play the same range of audio file formats as the old Bolero.

I am waiting a response from the dealer but does anyone have any ideas whether I have the wrong unit fitted

thanks

Does your car have DAB and Smartlink?

Going by the specifications in the Pricelist, this sounds like the main difference in the headunit between the Swing and the Swing Plus. The Swing Plus also has 6 speakers, while the Swing has 4, so I presume there aren't any in the rear doors on the Swing. Personally I've never really used the text bit of the Bolero, I just use Android Auto and it's brilliant. 

Yes it does, but according to the brochure even the Swing now has DAB.     Just been back to see the dealer and he is just as confused, all the 2019 fabias, in their stock, even the monte carlo, seem to have the same head unit that looks like the basic swing.

They are trying to find the answer from the technical experts but either way, there is much less functionality than the old Bolero unit.

I also use Android Auto most of the time and the only positive of the new unit is the connection with android auto is much faster

• 6 months later...

finally after nearly 6 months I have a non-answer from Skoda UK.

they claim we shouldn't rely on their published brochure !!! and the dealer should have explained all about the radio - the problem is the dealer knew nothing at all about the radio spec!

I won't include the full response from Skoda UK Head Office but here is a taste of how they treat their customers: -

Thank you for your recent request to speak with the Managing Director of ŠKODA UK. I work in the Executive Office on behalf of Rod McLeod who has asked me to respond to you directly on his behalf.

I can confirm that the outcome which has been presented to you will remain unchanged

This decision has been reviewed by ŠKODA UK’s Executive Office and will not change. Whilst we welcome your contact, no response is needed to this email and any further correspondence in relation to the above complaint will be filed but may not be responded to.  "

What a way to treat their customers.  Of course I will never buy another Skoda and will look to get rid of my current vehicle as soon as possible.

Absolutely disgusting Customer Service

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Maybe I can help.
In principle, there are 4 kinds of radios from the new Swing +. Bluteooth is standard in all, except for DAB and rear view camera.
6V0 035 871 H No DAB or camera
6V0 035 871 J no DAB but no camera
6V0 035 869 H yes DAB no camera
6V0 035 869 J has a DAB and a camera

PIXI

Hello,

I also have a question about the new Swing + radio.
So far in Swabia, the 2016 Fabia. I bought the newer one, and when it came with a canbus connection I tried it out, so almost all the basic functions worked. It sounded the same as the previous Swing. Then his voice changed after unlocking the component. With the old swing set to sub 0 it was perfectly perfect and sounded nice. But now, with Swing + set to maximum, the sub does not reach the level that smooth Swing produced at sub. I tried to find the difference in VCDS, but unfortunately it failed. However, I have exported and compared the complete "adaptation" list of the old Swing. Unfortunately, Long Coding is not recognized by VCDS 17.1, so I don't know what options there are. True, I saved the long code, and it deviated by 3 points. These include car images, a reversing camera, and a reversing radar. It would be nice to know what the difference is, because the other sound makes me much better.
Does anyone have any help with VCDS?
Thank You!

PIXI

On 18/09/2018 at 11:04, dorsetbill said:

Yes it does, but according to the brochure even the Swing now has DAB.     Just been back to see the dealer and he is just as confused, all the 2019 fabias, in their stock, even the monte carlo, seem to have the same head unit that looks like the basic swing.

They are trying to find the answer from the technical experts but either way, there is much less functionality than the old Bolero unit.

I also use Android Auto most of the time and the only positive of the new unit is the connection with android auto is much faster

Same experience here. Brochure states Bolero for the Colour edition, in actuality is just a Swing with DAB and Carplay/Android Auto.

More frustratingly for me is the intermittent stuttering during music playback through Carplay, which doesn't feature on my OH's 2017 Polo's Bolero-type headunit. Also equipped with DAB etc... would rather the older 'outdated' model which works better...