Loud turbo

Hi,

So about once a fortnight or so my 2.0 tdi would seemingly loose power after about 2500 rpm. I would pull over and play around with a hose I think to do with the turbo and happy days it would be fine again. It's not needed doing for a while now but I have noticed that the noise coming from the turbo seems to have got louder, so much so that my ears are hurting after my drive home. 

Is this anything to be concerned about? Any ideas how to sort it out? 

If it sounds like rushing air I would check for loose boost hoses.

Alternatively, it could be overboosting and going into limp mode.  Switching off the engine and restarting would temporarily fix this until the overboost occurs again. In my previous Golf's this was in one case caused by a split host to the turbo actuator, and in another, the variable vanes sticking.

Edited by DataflowDesign

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my turbo is noisy mechanic said need new one is ones on eBay any good it’s garret turbo any ideas which one I need thanks tony reg is Nk10jwx also no power after 2500 rpm 

Edited by Tonyrow

Hi, so it turns out the loud noise was a wheel bearing not the turbo (clearly I know very little about car noises). There was something the matter with the turbo but just a minor issue something to do with airflow I think. 

Sorry Tony I don't know what turbo you would need, surely your mechanic could advise you though? 

Not normal, no.  I would either have a good look all around the turbo to see if there any visible leaks from the oil feed pipe, or take it back to the mechanic and ask him to take a look in case he did something / disturbed something whilst doing his inspection to find the noise.