Is this a permanent power source/ connection?

Does the USB socket below the heater controls have a permanent power supply?

I bought and installed a cheap dash cam yesterday and until I'm happy with it's position etc I won't be hard wiring it. Once I set it up I connected it via USB using this port and I'm nearly sure it powered down maybe a minute after I removed the key from the ignition. So I left it plugged in while in work today and when I went out there now and got into the car it was lit up as if it was charging although I hadn't put the keys in?

Mine comes on with the ignition, I know because I charged my phone with it the other day. Seemed to stay on when I turned ignition off but did not remove the keys. Guessing it will go off when keys removed.

The cigar lighter socket is live at all times. Showing my age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmcm789 said:

Once I set it up I connected it via USB using this port and I'm nearly sure it powered down maybe a minute after I removed the key from the ignition. So I left it plugged in while in work today and when I went out there now and got into the car it was lit up as if it was charging although I hadn't put the keys in?

The USB socket is powered whenever the infotainment system is powered - which is from when you unlock the car (to give it a head start acquiring the satellites used by the sat nav) until either you lock the car or approx. 30 minutes with the ignition off if you don't lock the car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

did you want to have permanent 12V? or switched to the ignition? access to the fuse box is really easy.

Johnny

I think at the moment I'm happy enough with the camera operating only when the engine is on. I read a few of the forum posts about installs which were excellent and I also watched a video on youtube of someone removing/ reinstalling the glove box before I started. I haven't wired mine into the fuse box yet as it seems fine on the USB socket and only has about 4 inches of cable exposed coming from under the panel to the left of the centre console to the socket.

I placed the camera where I roughly wanted it, tracked the cable under the headline and down the front of the passenger pillar by hand (didn't remove anything). then removed the side panel at the glove box, popped of the little ratchet connection and removed the glove box. I tracked the cable under the glove box, looped up the extra cable and tied it off. Replaced the glove box and all done in about 15 minutes. If I need or want to hard wire it in the future at least I know where the fuse box is and how to access it.

Have to say, I'm glad I didn't hard wire it as I may be returning the camera. I went for a Yi £40 1080p one, but the compression on their videos is extreme. Even in broad daylight it has issues with detail on car moving at 20 or 30 mph. Not much use in an accident to record a number plate! I don't need all bells and whistles, but not happy with something with less quality than my entry level smart phone!