Tail gate leak on 245 vrs hatch

Hi All,

About 2 weeks ago I opened my boot and water started to leak out of the fabric lining on the right hand side of the tail gate. I took it to the dealers and they water tested it and couldn't replicate the leak and sent me away.

I've today opened the boot and it's leaked again but this time from the left side. I've managed to get a picture/video and will be taking it back to the dealers to investigate further...however I was wondering if you could help?

I've tried a forum search but can't find any similar topics...any ideas what my be causing it?

I've checked the following:

1) The three drainage holes across the tailgate seem dry as well as the metal parts of the tailgate.

2) I have not used the rear washer prior to the leaks and the jet is working fine with good pressure. The water leaking doesn't smell of washer fluid either.

Any help would be great.

Screenshot_20180925-114118_Video Player.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have experienced the very same issue, picked up a new SE L 2 weeks ago and for the first week it didn’t rain so no issue but since we’ve had a few nights of rain and the waterfalls have started.  The waterfall can be either side it depends on the lie of the car.

My suspicion is water is getting under the lip spoiler on the SE L and I’m assuming the spoiler is screwed on and getting through a hole.

Did you resolve your issue?

Edited by Has

38 minutes ago, Has said:

I have experienced the very same issue, picked up a new SE L 2 weeks ago and for the first week it didn’t rain so no issue but since we’ve had a few nights of rain and the waterfalls have started.  The waterfall can be either side it depends on the lie of the car.

My suspicion is water is getting under the lip spoiler on the SE L and I’m assuming the spoiler is screwed on and getting through a hole.

Did you resolve your issue?

That lip spoiler will just be held on with double sided tape. 

• Like 1

Thanks, even more confusing of how water can be getting in behind the fabric layer.  Trip to the dealer tomorrow.

My worry is they just find a way to release the water rather than working out how it’s getting in.

Update: Fixed

The dealer couldn't replicate the leak and kept sending me away. I ended up taking the spoiler off and investigating.

There is sealant around the screw area between the spoiler and boot body. It would appear the factory have used a tiny amount and water was getting in via the screw holes. 

Fix:

- Area cleaned off with gyeon tar remover to remove adhesive. 

- new spoiler screws 

- corrosion blocker (just in case)

- new adhesive.

- spoiler refitted

Seems to have fixed the issue. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NifNaf said:

Update: Fixed

The dealer couldn't replicate the leak and kept sending me away. I ended up taking the spoiler off and investigating.

There is sealant around the screw area between the spoiler and boot body. It would appear the factory have used a tiny amount and water was getting in via the screw holes. 

Fix:

- Area cleaned off with gyeon tar remover to remove adhesive. 

- new spoiler screws 

- corrosion blocker (just in case)

- new adhesive.

- spoiler refitted

Seems to have fixed the issue. 

Shame the dealer couldn't be arsed with helping.:thumbdown:

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks!

Got mine booked in on Monday so will use this info, I’m pretty sure my issue is the spoiler too.

Mine is at the dealer today and they say the leak is coming from a hole on the inside of the dodgy bit of weld (or seal) on the hatch edge, needs re-sealing.

Leak.png

This seems to be a common thing.

First time it rained since I got the car...  Opened the boot yesterday (it was dry) and water poured out the two rubber bump stop bits.

Obviously collected in there over night.

Spoiler seems to sit ok but I guess that's first port of call.

• 1 year later...