Kodiaq winter/All season/c.v tyres

ak1956

On 29/12/2020 at 21:10, BoxerBoy said:

Woke up to a beautiful day. Was reminded I should fit the winter wheels. So that was the afternoon job. Times 2.

Hubs & wheels look like rusty crap as usual. Only done 9 months and 4,300 miles.

OEM wheels cleaned up nicely with half a bucket of elbow grease. Just need an oily rag to finish them off and stack ‘em for a few months. 2 stacks of wheels make a nice storage table 😀

40F1AD88-3D4C-48E0-8F1D-FB95C6A397AD.jpeg

960580C0-16FD-46A7-AF6C-5044F9CC6ED0.jpeg

30F71E10-F332-4DA9-ABB2-1E034F852847.jpeg

30BA86B4-F116-47F2-A73F-147DF695D2DF.jpeg

7A37B00F-2C7F-465A-952C-8DD7A705E304.jpeg

We have 4 cars with 8 wheels each and 2 trailers with 4 wheels each.

Can have a pretty long table with all these wheels.

Michelin CC+ do not 'break the laws of physics' and nor are they hype - there are many, many YouTube vids and other tests which show that they function nearly as well as a dedicated set of winter tyres in the snow. Do the research and reach your own conclusions taking into account your driving situation, regarding the choice of all-season tyres eg Michelin v Continental v Goodyear etc.

I have personal experience of Michelin CC+ tyres and have been extremely happy with them, even used them in snow a few times and they had all the grip that was needed. They also give a much quieter ride and reduce the amount of road vibration entering the cabin, so big bonus all round.

Realistically, in most parts of the UK, the limiting factor in your ability to get around in snow will be the roads blocked by other vehicles, especially the RWD 'ultimate driving machines' with their super-low-profile summer tyres = zero grip in snow.

Then there are those with BMW,s that went for a x-drive and for appropriate tyres and have dealerships store their other set of wheels and they are stuck behind so called SUV,s / All wheel drives / 4x4s / cross overs etc. So cars that drive front, rear or all wheels and have Summer tyres on.  Even those that go 19" rims and low profile tyres and go out driving when they might be better staying where they are.

Finally cleaned up the OEM Triglavs and stacked them in the garage.

Used up a whole bottle of Elbow Grease to remove an unusual amount of tar spots from inside the rims.

Now like new.

7DB65A97-727A-4A4C-A1F9-7FDC7B0BC7FA.jpeg

0E45ED8C-0F9E-440C-8B61-4BA44DF94F29.jpeg

7D22F346-C1E2-4555-B4B6-91C1EDF10D45.jpeg

97308EB5-E4E0-4B98-9CB3-D5B53FC4A8BB.jpeg

CEC713DF-3237-4F0A-8A76-9E2DF1BD96E9.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 11:55, SinglePointSafety said:

Root, totally agree - as the YouTube vids demonstrate oh so well, in snow, a 2WD car with winter or all-season tyres is far, far better than 4WD on summer tyres.

My daughter lives in the Scottish Highlands.  She drives a very ordinary 1300 cc Mazda 2 on Winter tyres and has no trouble unless the snow is so deep that the runs out of ground clearance.  She has passed several 4x4s on "Summer" tyres, that had got themselves stuck.

One area where I find there is a lot of confusion, is that some people thin tyres with a "mud & snow" tread pattern are "Winter" tyres.  This is not the case.  The "Winter" designation is largely down to rubber compound.  A tyre isn't a "Winter" tyre unless it has the three-peaked mountain with a snowflake symbol moulded into the sidewall.  In some Northern EU countries, you can be fined if stopped between October and March with tyres that don't bear these markings.  They really do make one hell of a difference.

Some M&S Marked tyres are very good on Snow that is not pisted / ploughed and salted (Gritted) 

I have M&S marked tyres that are not 3 peak marked and will not get binned because they have proved them selves.

In  the UK there will be plenty 4x4's that are moving about on M&S, or Mud or All Terrain tyres without being 3 peak marked or certified.

Even moving about on roads that are inside areas where snow gates are stopping other vehicles from going into.

In the old days the signs might say 'Suitable for 4x4's only'.    That was then no use when the Police had 4x4s / AWD's that were no more suitable for the conditions than other Tom, **** and Henrietta that had a Soft Roader.

There are plenty around with all the gear and no idea that can get themselves stuck.

So many around that get themselves up a hill and then remember coming down might not be so easy.

Edited by e-Roottoot

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Some M&S Marked tyres are very good on Snow that is not pisted / ploughed and salted (Gritted) 

I have M&S marked tyres that are not 3 peak marked and will not get binned because they have proved them selves.

In  the UK there will be plenty 4x4's that are moving about on M&S, or Mud or All Terrain tyres without being 3 peak marked or certified.

Even moving about on roads that are inside areas where snow gates are stopping other vehicles from going into.

In the old days the signs might say 'Suitable for 4x4's only'.    That was then no use when the Police had 4x4s / AWD's that were no more suitable for the conditions than other Tom, **** and Henrietta that had a Soft Roader.

There are plenty around with all the gear and no idea that can get themselves stuck.

So many around that get themselves up a hill and then remember coming down might not be so easy.

I have such tyres on my old dog of a Freelander 1and as you say, they're OK on pure driven snow, where they can get a grip.  However, they're useless on hard-packed stuff.  Yes of course there are plenty of cars "moving about" on tyres other than Winter tyres, but they would "move about" better on Winter tyres!  If I was going to keep it, I'd get Winter tyres, just because however good it is, I know it can be better.  As it is, a 20 year old Freelander isn't worth the cost of a set of Winter tyres!

@Avocet

I meant they are moving about on closed road on M&S marked tyres.

The CrossClimates on my Shogun have been crap this year on not much snow.  

I am running my Corsa with Alpin 6's fitted which have been great for the past weeks of low temps and occasional snow & ice,

i changed those from the CrossClimates i had on,

but the last couple of days happily taken out a BMW 335d x-drive on its summer tyres. Cold roads, but dry roads and smiles per miles.

?

What have you got fitted on your Kodiaq?

DSCN5667 (1).JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...

It may only be a few days each year, but if you run fat summer tyres, then you’re probably not going to take someone where they need to be on a day like today.  And tomorrow. And the next day.

I saw one car that couldn’t get out of a Tesco parking slot without a push.

8A408F22-9221-476B-89A4-37C6DF677ADF.jpeg

069396FB-433D-46B4-B5A7-2AAAD10CC7A6.jpeg

025710AC-FB55-46B6-91AA-9F9CD4B846EF.jpeg