Kodiaq winter/All season/c.v tyres

ak1956

Hi All,

Has anyone put winter tyres or similar on their Kodiaq yet, which ones, and how much. They seem in short supply on  the Kodiaq size tyres. Thinking of getting some for the winter as the forcast is so bad. Any suggestions?.

Thanks.

I’ll be ordering some soon, but don’t expect to fit them on the car till December.

Unless I wake up to snow before then.

Probably Continental 850s. Maybe Goodyear. Maybe Pirelli.

17”. Plentiful supplies.  Much cheaper than 18s or 19s.

Probbaly from mytyres or blackcircle or oponeo.

Edited by BoxerBoy

You don’t need to wait on snow. If you regularly drive in temperatures below 7 degrees then you would benefit from having winter tyres on. 

Most people switch to winter tyres at the clock change at the end of October and switch back at end of March but of course depends on location could be sooner or later.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ak1956 said:

Hi All,

Has anyone put winter tyres or similar on their Kodiaq yet, which ones, and how much. They seem in short supply on  the Kodiaq size tyres. Thinking of getting some for the winter as the forcast is so bad. Any suggestions?.

Thanks.

Unless you live in the Scottish highlands and don’t have 4 wheel drive, I’d just replace with Michelin CrossClimate and leave on all year round.

Very similar performance to winter tyres without the disadvantages.

• Like 1

4*oC Bongs going to be going off tonight and tomorrow for some in the UK and they will just get on with it as usual as the temp gets near to 0*oC.

Still more than a fortnight before the winter fuels start leaving the depots for the filling station tanks.

Time to get those tyres ordered up though if needed, BREXIT panic buying and all that, and there is stock around at good prices.

I've had my 4WD Kodiaq for a year now and I fitted Vredstein Quatrac all season tyres as soon as I got it. They've been great, the car had plenty traction in the deep snow we had for a week or two back in Feb/March and felt equally sure footed during the hot summer. I've only done 13,000 miles on them but it looks like they've got plent tread left so wear is fine too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our Sportline will be getting Nokian Hakka R2 or 3 on OEM Skoda Crater in 7x19. 

In my opinion only premium winter tyres is good enough for a Norwegian winter, but anywhere with snow and ice I would never use all season tyres

£176 x 4 = £704

£149 x 4 = £596

TOTAL = £1,300

Plus fitting.

I get the fact that whilst the winters are fitted the summers aren't wearing, but that is quite an upfront investment...

Capture.JPG.889eaf3ba9678e67f9d361c56d28c996.JPG

Haven't personally tried them, but a friend has suggested a company called tyre leader, seem to undercut many prices

(although if you luckily have a good, cheap local company, suggest you support that)

Note the fitting partners tend to charge about £10-20 so factor that into the cost

Seem to have a good website where you can pick, all season, winter or summer and enter the wheel size

Then they have local partners as fitters

Unless you live in the North or in the hills and need full winters, then all seasons are the way forward in my opinion

Even have a few brands listed in the 235 50 R19 size for all season

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

If your lucky enough to have milder winters, then indeed all season tyres are probably the way to go. A set of 4 Michelin Crossclimates for 19” wheels will set you back around £650 or you can get a full set of 17” steel wheels with winter tyres for the same money. I do realise you have the job of changing the wheels over if you go the winter tyre route, but at least your alloys are tucked up somewhere avoiding the rigours of winter, and as mentioned above your saving  mileage on your “summer” tyres. 

My Nanuqs are coming from my nearest dealer. Cheaper than Superskoda at 899€ +PP IIRC

Wheels and tyres are coming slightly cheaper than suggested above.

My local MOT / tyre emporium couldn’t get the tyres I wanted, suggested another of the popular online suppliers, and simply said “bring them in and we’ll fit them”. Which I shall do.

I’m not for swapping Summer / Winter tyres on the same rims, briefly pondered All Seasons, but decided not to compromise.

Some folk sink their Hard Earned into sunroofs, clever cruise, and Parking For Donuts, but I prefer Function over Form.

I have had positive experience of Winter tyres for a few years now.

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 1

Tyres arrived promptly. Well travelled. Date stamped 2017.

Wheels must be coming to dealer from a far off land (in 2 weeks).

Must point out to tyre fitter crew that the tyres do have an “Outside”.

Once upon a time a dealer gave me a set of 4 RH wheels :-)

0B4BBA41-CF60-45ED-A9C4-B186B9985785.jpeg

9206F822-EDB4-4DB0-A10D-BF284D3B5F33.jpeg

F15EC80C-70DB-492B-87B5-F0BB0581C32F.jpeg

324C722B-C61F-4B52-B678-9A44D4F8B0EB.jpeg

Date stamped 2017? What month is on the DOT code?

Even if they're late 2017 they are almost a year old, worst case scenario nearly two years old.

Given that winter tyres only spend (on average) half a year on the car, and winters tyre being more susceptible to drying out and cracking whilst in storage I'd be asking for some new ones?

When you're paying a premium price for premium branded tyres it isn't unreasonable to want them to less than 6 months old.

I had an issue with some Nokian winter tyres that failed prematurely, they were only a few years old...

Edited by silver1011

16 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Tyres arrived promptly. Well travelled. Date stamped 2017.

Wheels must be coming to dealer from a far off land (in 2 weeks).

Must point out to tyre fitter crew that the tyres do have an “Outside”.

Once upon a time a dealer gave me a set of 4 RH wheels :-)

0B4BBA41-CF60-45ED-A9C4-B186B9985785.jpeg

9206F822-EDB4-4DB0-A10D-BF284D3B5F33.jpeg

F15EC80C-70DB-492B-87B5-F0BB0581C32F.jpeg

324C722B-C61F-4B52-B678-9A44D4F8B0EB.jpeg

I don’t think the Continental Winter Contacts have a right and a left. They have an “Outside” because the tread is asymmetrical. If you stand them up as they would be on the car does it look they have a right and left or does the tread go in the opposite direction on one side? 

1 hour ago, SBell said:

I don’t think the Continental Winter Contacts have a right and a left. They have an “Outside” because the tread is asymmetrical. If you stand them up as they would be on the car does it look they have a right and left or does the tread go in the opposite direction on one side? 

You’re correct of course. They are marked “Outside” as I said, not “Directional” like many performance tyres.

My previous dealer experience example was simply that the dealer got 2 of the tyres on the wrong way round.

542F3DBB-8162-4272-9D08-DBB5946423BE.jpeg

I'v got exact same tyres...we'll see how they can handle a winter. Last winter was joke...rain and water. Dealer took them off last season and didn't write which tyre is which. So I measured the depth of tyre tread and look carefully which way the tread was worn. Cleaned everything ...even waxed the wheels with Bilberry angelwax and no eady for winter:)

My winters are on order, to fit the steels I ordered for them. The Triglavs will be in the shed for winter. I'll be trying the Hankook Icecept's this year, the Superb had Avons for winter. Anyone want a set of Avon winters, or the Themistos that take them?

Edited by lowedb

Seller mytyres
WINTER TYRE Tristar Snowpower 2 235/55 R19 105V XL M+S
QuantityQty12345678910+
£240.80
Other 48h courier
4-5 days
Free postage

Does anyone have any info or experience of using 17" instead of 19"?  Does anyone know if 19" steel wheels are available second hand?                                                            

Kind regards,  Mike                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Your going to struggle to find any VAG approved steel wheels bigger than 16".

16" isn't an approved wheel size for the Kodiaq so you will likely need to find a set of alloy wheels instead. 17" is an approved size though (Ratikon)...

15851_1024.thumb.jpg.58893a85622c2b09f3d75e126be8380a.jpg

£60 for a 19" winter tyre is suspiciously cheap. I think I'd rather take my chances on a summer tyre than fit those. Whilst I'm not as strong a believer in always choosing premium branded tyres as some people (because being expensive doesn't always make something the best), I'd draw the line at a £60 tyre.