Glove box light constantly on

edbostan

I opened the hinged compartment on top of the glove box to find it rather warm. I suspected the glove box light to be the the cause. I checked by closing the glove box until almost shut but the light did not turn off. The glove box is rather flexible and I managed to extinguish the light by pressing on the lid. I realised that there is no adjustment on the catch to extinguish the light. My wife who has more sense than me took out some items out of the glove box and closed the lid. The light went out. It seems that the adjustment on the switch is so finite that any deformation of the plastic by extra weight in the glove box or items just touching the lid is enough to prevent the switch from operating. I know that any items would prevent the lid from closing 100 per cent but other makes of vehicle with such a feature I have owned have had more tolerance in the switch assembly.

• Like 1

Hi Richard. My original post was nonsense. Looking at it in the dark the lamp is on constantly as there is no switch. I thought the catches press on a switch but there appears not to be one so my lamp is on constantly. 

Edited by edbostan

• 1 month later...

There is a switch.  The light should go out when the glove box is closed.

Once you get to it you can see how badly designed it is, the switch is just popped into a bit of rather weak casing and repeated use of the glove box causes it to drop out its' housing.

You need to take the center console off to get to it.  It's on the right hand side of the glove box, you can see a moulded section of the 'door' that goes through a hole on the right to activate it.

I left the glove box open and locked the car with the remote. The lamp went out when the car locked. That is good enough for me without the hassle of dismantling the car.

Edited by edbostan
  • Like 1