Best oil for CUNA engine?

Just now, Offski said:

You said,  "the short life is always thinner."   so not all short life the short life you got!

well the 0w40 castrol is as thin as the 0w40 mobil one..

..i'll rephrase it as short life means 0w can be used...0w is thinner ..visibly & in pouring than 5w...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

I changed my CHPA from long service to short "502"...& used a 502 spec which happened to be Castrol edge titanium 0w40...way thinner than the 5w30 that had been in there..from the previous services..but the engine is nicely run in now...so all the "wear" was done using a thicker oil which is correct way to do it..

0w40 will be thinner than 5w30 at low temperatures but thicker at high temperatures.

• Sponsor
13 hours ago, Offski said:

You are in the UK in Scotland are you not and even at the coldest that will be -15*oC, so why the 0-40 FS?

Technically he is in Scotland, in the UK. Though I hear many of them wish they were not :D

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by oilman
confusion
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Sponsor
11 hours ago, Rodge said:

0w40 will be thinner than 5w30 at low temperatures but thicker at high temperatures.

Spot on, in our UK climate it does not really get cold enough to take advantage of 0w to its full as it was designed for the Arctic circle. It will however warm up slightly quicker than a 5w.

Cheers,

Guy

I hear many more want to be in Scotland and the Conservative and Unionist Government will not let them stay.

Then there are some that settled here and are always saying they are not made welcome and seem to think they are driving in Arctic conditions because occasionally it gets a bit cold.

WTF??….

I live in Scotland which happens to be part of the UK...…& as far as I am concerned it should stay that way....but that's my personal opinion & has feck all to with oil choice...

As far as me selecting a 0w40 & not a 5w30....

The 0w40 that I chose is to VW spec "502" so a short interval VW spec oil...that happens to be a 0w40 rating

I prefer the 0w40 rating as I do mountaineering...so early start...2hr drive over demanding twisty roads..& leave car all day in freezing cold..then 2hr drive back sometimes in darkness...

I "rally" drive my car...so "briskly"....& its a high reving 1.4lt turbo……& 2hrs on the A939 (my local road) which is the best drivers road in the UK is more demanding than a track afternoon...

As far as -15C...Ive seen the temp indicator on the car hit -20 in a frost hollow.....& once (other occasion) I parked my car for mountaineering in a shady spot in deep snow & when I came back the tyres had frozen to the snow ..as the warm tyres had caused the snow to melt around them (only a few mm) them the car stuck in & the snow remelted...mind you that was on normal road tyres....had to rock the car out/by pushing it to break the frozen contact patches

For my style of driving, my engine, & what I do, a 0w40 is more beneficial than a 5w30.....

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Offski said:

A Golf, a 1.4 TSI like millions of Golf Globally.  Even ones that get extreme use in extremes of weather.

I have the world wide service manuals for the MK7 Golf as I paid for them...

The following worldwide service intervals for the oil change are as follows for MK7 Golf

QI1 :- 5,000km or 1yr (fixed)

QI2 :- 7,500km or 1yr (fixed)

QI3 :- 10,000km or 1yr (fixed)

QI4:- 15,000km or 1yr (fixed as used in UK)

QI6:- 30,000km or 2yrs (flexible)

QI7:- 10,000km or 1yr (flexible)

QI1, 2, 3 are basically the whole of South America, Africa, Russia, China, & Saudi Arabia/Iran etc..

So as you can see a fixed service VW 502 00 grade oil is changed out at way shorted intervals in countries where they have more extreme weather & harsher driving conditions. (However some countries which may be covered by a longer service interval, but have low populated harsh areas eg Canada, the vehicles in the harsh areas are usually put on a shorter interval)...

I know my temps that I drive in & my style & prefer to get the best out of engine etc....

The oil I used is to VW spec 502 00....so fully compatible...infact both the Castrol & Opies oils website pull various 0w40 grade oils up which are 502 00 spec for my reg & engine...

Always go by VW spec first then chose the grade/brand you want

• Like 2

I agree i advice Fixed Service Intervals all the time on TSI's have done for 7 years on here and VW502.   

I also drive them and live in a parallel universe like you of deep freeze conditions and private roads with no speed limits.

I remap them, use 99 or 102 ron and monitor oil temps, and fuel use.   Its not rocket science, just driving and an interest in cars.

Edited by Offski

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

2hrs on the A939 (my local road) which is the best drivers road in the UK is more demanding than a track afternoon...

Having done a few drives up and around Scotland you do have some epic driving roads up there.

1 hour ago, fabdavrav said:

For my style of driving, my engine, & what I do, a 0w40 is more beneficial than a 5w30.....

:thumbup:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Offski said:

I agree i advice Fixed Service Intervals all the time on TSI's have done for 7 years on here and VW502.   

I also drive them and live in a parallel universe like you of deep freeze conditions and private roads with no speed limits.

I remap them, use 99 or 102 ron and monitor oil temps, and fuel use.   Its not rocket science, just driving and an interest in cars.

Its not always deep freeze..& although I know a few private roads which are very long...most you (that I know personally) can't get up to speeds greater than 60mph....& I never do stupid speed for road/conditions...just driving the road "rally"..use the gears, get around the corners quicker (stay on your side)..

I chose my personal preference for oil etc..any parts.....

If you go 100% by minimum VW spec then a VW spec 504 00 5w30 is perfectly fine (& as per VW book) for my mates MK7 Golf "R" Estate who lives in the Banchory/Aboyne area which is one of the coldest places in the UK....& also has very hot temps, much hotter than I do..in fact he has a greater extreme (probably in the whole UK) of temps where he lives..

LOL......

• Sponsor
32 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

I have the world wide service manuals for the MK7 Golf as I paid for them...

The following worldwide service intervals for the oil change are as follows for MK7 Golf

QI1 :- 5,000km or 1yr (fixed)

QI2 :- 7,500km or 1yr (fixed)

QI3 :- 10,000km or 1yr (fixed)

QI4:- 15,000km or 1yr (fixed as used in UK)

QI6:- 30,000km or 2yrs (flexible)

QI7:- 10,000km or 1yr (flexible)

QI1, 2, 3 are basically the whole of South America, Africa, Russia, China, & Saudi Arabia/Iran etc..

So as you can see a fixed service VW 502 00 grade oil is changed out at way shorted intervals in countries where they have more extreme weather & harsher driving conditions. (However some countries which may be covered by a longer service interval, but have low populated harsh areas eg Canada, the vehicles in the harsh areas are usually put on a shorter interval)...

I know my temps that I drive in & my style & prefer to get the best out of engine etc....

The oil I used is to VW spec 502 00....so fully compatible...infact both the Castrol & Opies oils website pull various 0w40 grade oils up which are 502 00 spec for my reg & engine...

Always go by VW spec first then chose the grade/brand you want

The other thing to bear in mind about service intervals with VW502.00 spec oils in some other countries is as you can see on my site VW502.00 covers a whole variety of oils from your basic 10w-40 semi through to the 0w-40 fully (true) synthetic you have been using. Take say some parts of of the countries you have mentioned there is little to no regulation when it comes to engine oils so many maybe sub par or worse to what we have here and in Europe for example, because of this I suspect the fixed service intervals have been reduced as well as for the reasons such as climate etc that you have mentioned.

All these are 502.00 approved and you can see the variety https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-746-vw-50200-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oilman said:

All these are 502.00 approved and you can see the variety https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-746-vw-50200-engine-oil.aspx

Cheers,

Guy

Its worse when you look at the gear oils for the manual gearboxes….gone are the old "W" rating & VW number say 75w90 to VW501 50...& now its just a part number in my case G 052 512A2 (A2 is a 1lt bottle)...& I have seen several different "W" spec oils for the same VW part number....!!!....

I ended up getting the Fuchs Titan sitofluid FE SAE 75w. from yourselves...

fabdavrav,

When you grow up in & live your life in the area you get to know the weather, those wonderful days off school and sledging and skiing.

I know the weather temps for the Post Codes. AB / DD from Aboyne Weather Station has one less £25 Cold Weather Payment than IV for Aviemore area.

7 Days  0*oC or forecast.    Starting November to March. http://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment

Last winter AB missed it by 1 day,  so 6 weeks for Aviemore Postcodes, 5 for Aboyne and 3 for Perth.

(Better than when AB postcode Forecast and Weather Station temps were done in Dyce and DD from Leuchars.)

Edited by Offski

2 hours ago, Offski said:

fabdavrav,

When you grow up in & live your life in the area you get to know the weather, those wonderful days off school and sledging and skiing.

I know the weather temps for the Post Codes. AB / DD from Aboyne Weather Station has one less £25 Cold Weather Payment than IV for Aviemore area.

7 Days  0*oC or forecast.    Starting November to March. http://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment

Last winter AB missed it by 1 day,  so 6 weeks for Aviemore Postcodes, 5 for Aboyne and 3 for Perth.

(Better than when AB postcode Forecast and Weather Station temps were done in Dyce and DD from Leuchars.)

Having spent the past 24yrs living here in the same place.....personal observation counts...

Those gov temp stats are general & useless IMHO...where I live is warmer that those stats will have you believe..I have an accurate (+ or - 0.5C) outside temp sensor connected to the CH system..neighbour across the road has a nice few hundred pound weather station ….

The official weather station used for where I live is several miles inland & nearer to Inverness...& its always colder there compared to us.....so my statement of where my mate lives is way colder that us is correct....where I live the coldest it was on the north side of the house was -12.....I think my mate got -20 easy at his house..well his car was parked outside....Braemar which is near him has had multiple -20 to -28C records...that stretch of road of Royal Deeside is the coldest section..plus in summer as so far inland it gets way hotter than where I do...I think they got near the record this year...again...

Location, location, frost hollows etc....my statements were accurate with personal observations in those locations...the Gov stats are not taken in those locations...so IMHO are not an accurate reflection...in relation to my original statement..

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

fabdavrav, 

just as well we can go outside then and know the temperatures, and also use thermometers and know the difference between ground temp and air temps.

Pity the road sensors just show on the trunk roads.

By the way Aboyne is not the coldest most often in Scotland, but it can register 2nd coldest Post Code area temps over 7 day periods, but often just further south can be colder longer, just the Media report that weather station & the Government use the Official reports.

Hollows in the Grampians are still quite high above sea level and the Coldest road often is well south in Perth & Kinross. Tofts / McAras Brae.

Even just above Stonehaven a mile from the sea the road temps can be colder than Aboyne's roads sooner day or night. Then there the others nearer the Borders and the  South East coast.

Records do get broken at Braemar, but then it can be colder at Mar Lodge, a bit lower than Braemar.

The Ski Centre at Mar Lodge was a failure and equipment was taken to Glenshee, while it was running it was great, 

there was snow making there. Nice and cold, just not good at holding snow on the face.

http://winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,112390

I used to live and work just outside Braemar, where it was colder.

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations

http://trafficscotland.org/map/index.aspx?type=16

People were simply clever,

they never built villages and towns where it was the coldest part in that area, and they built them near fresh water. Running water not freezing over rivers.

We know about cold sinks and temperature inversions.

Work at Ski Centres and not just use them and you get to know about temperatures and weather.

Lovely, and nice dry cold air often in Braemar.  Never the wrong weather, just some might have the wrong clothes, shoes or maybe tyres.

If you want a head get a hat.

100_5358.JPG

100_5384.JPG

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

By the way Aboyne is not the coldest most often in Scotland, but it can register 2nd coldest Post Code area temps over 7 day periods, but often just further south can be colder longer, just the Media report that weather station & the Government use the Official reports.

Hollows in the Grampians are still quite high above sea level and the Coldest road often is well south in Perth & Kinross. Tofts / McAras Brae.

Even just above Stonehaven a mile from the sea the road temps can be colder than Aboyne's roads sooner day or night. Then there the others nearer the Borders and the  South East coast.

Records do get broken at Braemar, but then it can be colder at Mar Lodge, a bit lower than Braemar.

The Ski Centre at Mar Lodge was a failure and equipment was taken to Glenshee, while it was running it was great, 

there was snow making there. Nice and cold, just not good at holding snow on the face.

Altnahara is the one which has the "official" coldest...I think...

I know Aboyne isn't the coldest..just that stretch of road/valley inc Braemar/Banchory is usually the coldest area due to the topography...& thus records very high temps in summer also..so it could be said to have the greatest temp range between max cold & max hot of any area in the UK....

This then has an affect on anything you do & buy...& getting back OT....if you have your car parked outside overnight & go to start it in the morning I think that a suitable grade of oil is paramount!!

PS I lived in the Midwest of USA.....-20C is nothing compared to what we got for several months of the year....I went out x-country ski-ing in colder temps...so cold the snow was re-freezing to the skis base forming ice blocks.....I've seen it snow several feet in 1hr...& when you have icicles forming on the mantle piece above the woodboring stove whilst it is on you know its cold....

As for Scotland..I've been winter mountaineering & ski-mountaineering & ice climbing in various places for years..so I think  I know about cold here...

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xman said:

Good quality 0w-40 covers a very wide operating range and if its approved to at least 502 its perfectly fine and in theory better than 5w-30/40. I expect its quite expensive though.

Expensive??….

Hang the expense!!!...I paid less than £10/lt...

TBH my previous car (MK1 Fabia) had the AUB engine & people complain about them throwing piston rings & various other engine faults....

..I never had.....but I ran the car on super unleaded (Shell)..& Mobil1 0w40 oil change every 10,000miles or 1yr....& drove it "brisky" when the engine was up to temp....I do have mechanical sympathy...