CH/LH Lights Issue

Hi everyone. I have tried a search on this, but not encountered anyone with the same issue. I'm guessing I know what the answer is, but I'll come to that in a bit... 

Car is a Mark2 pre-FL Scout. Ive got Carista and I've changed a few things. Some were successful, some didn't quite work as anticipated. One thing I've done, and I can't recall how is altered the coming home and leaving home lights. 

The lights used to come on with the switch in the Auto position and stayed on a pre-determined time via Maxidot. 

Now they don't come on at all. The only way I can get them to come on is by selecting "Via personalisation" in Carista, and even then, they ignore the rain and light sensor and come on all the time. If I don't select "Via personalisation" the option for coming home/leaving home lights also disappears from the Maxidot menu. 

I'm limited on what I can do in Carista. I can enable CH/LH lights and set Automatic/Via Personalisation, and that's it. Currently I have both CH/LH lights enabled and set to Automatic and now I have no CH/LH lights in Maxidot or functioning. 

Am I going to need someone with VCDS to look at the coding? As there must be another option that needs applying in conjunction with what I have so they will work off the rain and light sensor and not just based on time. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

You're thinking of OBD11. 

I don't know what part of the coding Carista has affected, but I've lost the functionality of the rain and light sensor when determining whether leaving home lights should activated. 

For now I've changed:

Coming Home Lights ENABLED

Leaving Home Lights ENABLED

CH/LH Lights VIA PERSONALIZATION

This at least means the feature shows in the Maxidot menu. I've turned LH lights off to try and preserve the xenons a bit. 

just like OBD11, Carista changes "other stuff" behind the scenes, potentially causing issues as a result, or causes issues when trying to revert a change being made.

CH/LH relies on the rain/light sensor.  

likewise, the "auto lights" relies on the same rain/light sensor.

in your case, because Carista made changes to or enabled CH/LH - its seems to have altered something on the rain/light sensor parameters.

see if you can "reset" the rain/light sensor?

p.s. i didn't think the likes of OBD11 and Carista worked on the mk2 platforms.  i thought it was an MQB platform, aka mk3, thing.

hence ur only option was VCDS or VCP coding.

when i used to have my mk2 MY11 Octavia RS - i enabled CH/LH via foglights, and a bunch of other stuff.   but i used VCDS to make all the changes, and no issues for many many years.

Edited by JR RS

This sounds like my issue...

With a code scan with Carista I'm getting the same fault code relating to 'Ambience Lighting'. It seems Carista has played about behind the scenes with the RLS logic. 

Unfortunately, as Carista is rudimentary, it doesn't give any options to use RLS when determining LH logic. 

Looks like it'll be VCDS to the rescue to amend the coding that Carista has deleted!

Right, trundlenut very kindly sorted some coding out, so now I have Leaving Home lights that work off the rain and light sensor, rather than working all the time. 

However, the LH lights work regardless of whether the light switch is in off, Auto or on now, but only when the light sensor deems it dark enough. 

Does anyone with auto lights, rain and light sensor and CH/LH lights on a pre-FL Octavia have some programming they'd be willing to share, that I can try and replicate so my leaving home lights will work off the headlight switch and rain and light sensor?