Carlube Triple R oil, suitable for PD engine?

J.R.

A bought a load of this stuff cheap some while back for general oil changes and top ups and my neighbour in the UK said that it was VW recommended for his 2.0 TDI 170, I have since bought a 2006 1.9tdi 105 PD BKC engined Octavia and used it for the oil change.

Looking at the can it says its meets the requirements of VW etc but gives no spec number other than ACEA C3, its in there for now but I will change it if it really isn't suitable, I have read on here that some grades are not good for the PD engine cam lobes.

I managed to find the actual data sheet which is here:

https://www.carlube.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/docs/TDS/XNT_YNT_Carlube_Triple_R_5W-30 C3.pdf

It says that it conforms to VW 502.00 / 505.00 / 505.01

Any comments? - Oil choice always produces a lot.

It cost €7.99 for 4 litres in a stock clearance shop (Noz) here in France and had I known I would be buying a newer TDi then I would have bought even more or given less away!!!

• Sponsor

Carlube is very much a budget brand, so made to a cost. If it meets the requirements of VW505.01 then it will be fine for the PD engine on fixed service. Interesting to note that the oil claims to meet the requirements of BMW LL04, ACEA C3 and Mercedes 229.51 which are all normally seen on oils that also meet VW504/507.00 but not on this one.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks for that.

I usually go by the ACEA ratings for oil and had deduced that it would be OK but they had not written the VW spec on the packaging because they had not submitted it for approval, also it was produced for the export market, front label the standard one in English, the rear one with the tech spec details was in French and Dutch only, I bought it from a French stock clearance outlet. It did say that it was a low ash oil produced for particulate filter equipped vehicles

And this week Lidl in France have budget buy 5w-40 fully synthetic oil in 1l containers, a good price but you dont know who manufactured it, says it is ACEA A3/B4, ACEA A3/B3-10 and API SN/CF

In bigger type is says Approved according to/complies with VW502 00, 505 00 and other manufacturers specs including Mercedes 229.3 and BMW LL-01 (level) whatever that means, would that be suitable for topping up the PD?

Edited by J.R.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:57, J.R. said:

A bought a load of this stuff cheap some while back for general oil changes and top ups and my neighbour in the UK said that it was VW recommended for his 2.0 TDI 170, I have since bought a 2006 1.9tdi 105 PD BKC engined Octavia and used it for the oil change.

Looking at the can it says its meets the requirements of VW etc but gives no spec number other than ACEA C3, its in there for now but I will change it if it really isn't suitable, I have read on here that some grades are not good for the PD engine cam lobes.

I managed to find the actual data sheet which is here:

https://www.carlube.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/docs/TDS/XNT_YNT_Carlube_Triple_R_5W-30 C3.pdf

It says that it conforms to VW 502.00 / 505.00 / 505.01

Any comments? - Oil choice always produces a lot.

It cost €7.99 for 4 litres in a stock clearance shop (Noz) here in France and had I known I would be buying a newer TDi then I would have bought even more or given less away!!!

It doesn't appear in the list of oils approved to 502.00/505.00/505.01; but that doesn't mean it doesn't meet the spec, it just means that VW group haven't agreed that it does.

• Sponsor
On 18/10/2018 at 11:05, J.R. said:

And this week Lidl in France have budget buy 5w-40 fully synthetic oil in 1l containers, a good price but you dont know who manufactured it, says it is ACEA A3/B4, ACEA A3/B3-10 and API SN/CF

In bigger type is says Approved according to/complies with VW502 00, 505 00 and other manufacturers specs including Mercedes 229.3 and BMW LL-01 (level) whatever that means, would that be suitable for topping up the PD?

I would not top up with this one, it does not carry or mention the VW505.01 spec which is required for PD on fixed service, is yours on a fixed service? The reason for the VW505.01 spec is the PD pump is driven by the cam lobes and to prevent premature wear the VW505.01 spec came about to help stop end users and garages using substandard oils and causing wear. That saying, the VW505.01 spec is nothing major fancy and a lot of good quality oils would meet it by default. 

Lidle budget buy oil, I wouldn't mind testing that :)

Cheers,

Guy

Edited by oilman
****e spelling

• Sponsor
On 18/10/2018 at 11:32, Wino said:

It doesn't appear in the list of oils approved to 502.00/505.00/505.01; but that doesn't mean it doesn't meet the spec, it just means that VW group haven't agreed that it does.

This happens quite a lot, and is becoming more common IMO. They will be able to see the performance profile of a spec from the additive companies, API and ACEA. With that they can make the oil meet that performance profile, say VW504/507.00. To take your oil to VAG and get it approved will cost a lot of money, so for the more *budget brands they can save this cost by saying "meets the requirements of VW504/507.00". This cost they can pass onto the customer as they do not have to pay a hefty price for an official approval. The flip side is there is no guarantee should anything go wrong.

*Premium and large oil companies do this as well.

Cheers,

Guy

• Thanks 2

It was fixed, I played with VCDS and changed it to variable but will no doubt service it annually and change it back, I was just playing.

Thanks for the info re the PD, I had seen it elsewhere, what confuses me though is whether 502, 505 or 507 exceed the qualities of the 501 spec but are nonetheless suitable for the PD engine, if not then how can the engine ever be run on variable service limits?

Or is the percieved wisdom PD engine = fixed servicing and nothing but 501 spec oil?

• Sponsor

502.00 and 505.00 are different specs and do not cover the PD engine on fixed service. However 505.01 covers 502.00 and 505.00 so you will often see them all on the same oil.

So for fixed service on a PD = VW505.01

For variable service on a PD = VW507.00

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks for that explanation Guy, I have finally got my head around it!!!!

As usual I have thrown away the Lidl reciept :sweat:

• Like 1