Shock absorber mount covers seem loose and wary of losing them

hetty1

Hello,

I was washing and waxing my Fabia today and decided to do it under the bonnet as well. I accidentally caught one of the shock absorber mount covers with the chamois and realised it was really loose. The other side of the car  was exactly the same. There doesnt seem to be any way of making them a tight fit, no clips that I can see, they just rotate on top of the mount. They are the original covers, I have the full service documentation and there is nothing in it relating to them. I can see them coming off completely at some point  and letting the weather into what is underneath. Am I missing something here?  I have had a word with my independent and they suggest  that silicon seal would work, just position the cover and then use the silicon seal. If access is needed in future the seal can easily  be cut through with a blade according to them. Have any other Briskoda readers found this  and if so what did they do? Thanks for reading.

They are probably split at the mounting collar. They are poo quality bits of plastic. Bit of electrical tape wrapped around collar and here and there helps.

If they drop off and go missing as one will eventually, then ducktape over top mount is as effective.

Stupidly expensive if you really want to buy another poo quality one, but why if duck tape will do?

They just pull off by the way.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

Never had an issue with them but they must be either cheap from a main dealer or as mentioned, glue-able with silicone. Just a small blob will suffice as it will just hold them there. 

I also thought that, perhaps a cheap rubber replacement headlight bulb rubber, the dome shaped ones people fit after fitting LED bulbs, might just go over and stay put. They can be purchased quite cheaply via eBay or ali express, etc but be wary, you can pay quite a bit for the exact same thing!

I might try this option out, just to see if they fit. This will either help you decide on if this is a good idea or it won't work!

Xman, were you deliberately saying poo quality, as opposed to poor quality? Not sure if that was a typo or intentional. Other way, the description fits the bill!

Edited by mrgf