Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2

silver1011

The changing and storing of winter tyres has become a bit of a chore.

The Nokian's are worn, the winter set of alloys sold and my Goodyear Efficient Grip summers are getting close to the wear bars.

All seasons it is.

Crossclimate's get good reviews, but are overly expensive. A recent review by Autobild in Germany that pitched the Michelin Crossclimate's against the Goodyear's Vector 4Season's put the Goodyear's ahead. And they're a good bit cheaper too.

Goodyear have a promotion on at the moment for £40's worth of John Lewis or Amazon vouchers (£80 is for 19" and above) if you buy the tyres from one of their recommended fitters.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.3a4312a940e44878f31b236300d524c3.JPG

Halford's are one of their chosen fitters, and Halford's have a price match policy...

Capture2.thumb.JPG.ce8414963a92affebd15a4a2750d740a.JPG

Time to do some shopping around!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I had some fitted to my wife’s Mk4 Golf GTi last month. So far, so good; braking, comfort and wet weather handling are defo an improvement over the Conti SC5’s they replaced. 

Obviously no chance to see what they are like in the cold/ice/snow but based on reviews I’m sure they’re going to be a good all-rounder. 

The general consensus is that these are a more Winter biased all-season which is perfect for our local climate and the cars usage.  Like you I looked at a lot of reviews and the GY’s often equal or better the CC’s but because of that ‘Winter bias’ I picked the GY’s 

• Like 1

That's a good spot, I hadn't noticed that the Goodyear's were more winter biased, whilst the Crossclimates were more summer biased.

Another point for the Goodyear's then.

Just ordered 4, £117.60 each, plus £9.00 fitting round the corner so £506.60 all in from www.mytyres.co.uk. Not a recognised Goodyear supplier though so I won't quality for the vouchers.

Ensured they were the Gen 2 versions too, some of the best deals online are for the Gen 1, which strangely seem to have a better fuel rating.

Edited by silver1011

Got them fitted today, my chosen fitter off the mytyres website had shut down 2 years ago, but managed to get the tyres redirected to another fitter.

mytyres gave me a 5% refund for the hassle. Just under £500 fitted in the end.

Just have to see how they perform now...

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.22ec643d4ac14bf6be7903c48d4567f8.JPG

IMG_0567.thumb.JPG.963b143a9e7d1d56ac7b0c1ae85166fb.JPG

IMG_0568.thumb.JPG.b812a003b6c52429c57ea3e739907493.JPG

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.1ef09fff1591f1c3362c21e3c2ff0d1b.JPG

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.f81c94cf4f19faad73bf6e8d8e0db306.JPG

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.d9ec20b85b9e666cab8b2cb55ecef075.JPG

IMG_0572.thumb.JPG.aeeb124b8839be7e9c8275d4fe491a86.JPG

IMG_0574.thumb.JPG.9571ef147d7dd512b0887f5aa5fc799d.JPG

IMG_0588.thumb.JPG.f8d61710606c7bd60aa51b28112f2477.JPG

Edited by silver1011

It was LHD on a Swiss plate, but as it was parked at the marina who knows how it got there, or how long it was parked up. It just seemed so inappropriate on a hot day on a small Mediterranean island whilst enjoying a summer holiday.

I just can't understand why my wife and kids never spotted the faux pas...:D

• 1 year later...

If anyone is considering these then might want to be aware that a Gen 3 version  has recently been launched which supersedes the Gen 2 version

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection alert!!

It's that time of year when you might start to think about tyres and colder weather etc.

Current situation :-  

The Yeti (2011) came with 17 inch Dunlop summer tyres on the  "Dolomite"  alloys. They're still on there, and at present stored in the garage wrapped in blankets and now well over 12 years old. 

I bought 16 inch steel wheels from the main dealer when the car was new in 2011 and fitted 215 / 60 / 16 Dunlop winter tyres on them. Total cost at the time was £620   (£155 per corner).

As with the Dunlop summer tyres the Dunlop winters are still in place, but on the steelies. There's still about 4 or 5 mm on all of them. But they're well over 12 years old.

I decided a while ago not to bother swapping every Spring and Autumn and to keep the alloys (with the summer tyres on)  in the garage and In view of the age of the winter Dunlops have ordered, from Black Circle 4x Goodyear Vector All Season Gen 3 All Season at a fitted cost of £530    (£132 each) These are to be fitted locally and will stay on the steel wheels all year round. The look of 16 inch steel wheels with plastic wheel trims (secured with cable ties)  doesn't bother me at all and whoever, eventually, buys the Yeti will have immaculate alloys and can do as they choose with them ... plus I haven't got to swap them over twice a year.

Black Circles were (are?) offering 15% off when I placed the order. They threatened a "Midnight" end of offer but, as is the case with these things, the offer got extended the following day ... etc etc. 

But nevertheless the finished price was the best available to me at the time.

I could have had Michelin Cross Climate for a total of £39 extra but am happy enough with what I've ordered.

I could have got four Nexen All Seasons online, had them delivered and fitted locally and it would have been cheaper ... they would have totalled £350 fitted  ... that's £180 less than the Goodyears. The main reason for going for the Goodyears is they are apparently a better performing tyre and I opted for the (maybe/hopefully?) safer option).

The Hankook 4S2 All Season was no cheaper than the Goodyears.  There were loads of other All Season alternatives ... Tyre Reviews on Youtube has lots of useful information but I felt I needed to change the old tyres and did what I thought best.

Others will have done something different - maybe they would care to comment, I won't mind if they disagree with my thinking .....

I fitted vectors to my old Octavia and it transformed the noise level from loud with the default summers ( Dunlop Sport ) to near silent. Wouldn't have bothered trying as I did't think it'd have made that much of a difference, but couldn't pass a ridiculous deal at Costco, so thought it worth a try. It's the best £240 on motoring I've ever spent.

Long story short - this time noise isn't an issue but I was caught out last year in light snow going uphill ( 20" summer tyres on a Kodiaq going up hill on a single track road not wise ! ) which shook my confidence a little. Anyway a few weeks ago I took up a great offer from National Tyres and ordered Vector 3's for some piece of mind. But then, I was told my current tyres have more tread in them than I'd believed; had 2nd thoughts and cancelled the Vectors. It's something I since regretted. The vectors are now about £120 more than I'd ordered them for.

But just this weekend I noticed kwik-fit offering a 20% discount. The vectors weren't available in my size but the Michelins were. It's the best price I've ever seen for CrossClimates in my size so ordered them.

Another £20 odd quid off purchasing thru topcashback but the deal breaker had to be the free Michelin smart water bottle. I'd never heard of a smart water bottle before so being into fitness, I investigated further. Smart water bottle is not a term I'd use because It's only becomes a smart ifthe owner is dumb.  Apparently it tells you when you need to drink. :D   We've had 300,000 years to perfect the idea, but apparantly it's taken until 2023 to know when we need a drink of water.

Skoda Connect and Smart water bottles - I love it when people come up with solutions to problems you never knew you had. 👍

Edit:  I'd pay attention to a tyre if the reviews said avoid, but they're all much of the same in normal conditions. When they're being tested, they're being tested in extreme conditions. I'm never going to drive around a hard packed snow circuit in Sweden :D

Edited by kodiaqsportline