DSG/Hill Hold issue?

Does anybody know what this issue might be?  I have a 2014 Octavia 103TSI with DSG which I've owned from new. I can truly say its never missed a beat -an excellent car. More recently though I've noticed an intermittent issue when I start the car, particularly after its been standing for a while e.g. overnight. I have keyless ignition so I and start by pressing the ignition button while having my foot on the brake. I move the lever to D and release the handbrake and footbrake then pressing the accelerator. The car rolls back and does not seem to engage the transmission so suddenly I'm rolling backwards with no gear engaging and no Hill Hold. If I then tap the brake pedal the car  then acts completely normally, engages 1st gear and moves forward. It does not happen every time I start, but seems to happen more often when the car has been standing for a while. It seems like either the Hill Hold and/or the DSG has a problem.  I will be grateful for any opinion on this issue.

Do you release the handbrake first or the foot brake? Happened to me a few times when I took my foot off the brake pedal then released the handbrake and the car started to roll backwards. After applying the foot brake, all was good as you described. It looks like using handbrake itself doesn`t have any connection with the hill start function so if you use only that it will not keep the car still. I hope Škoda did not find anything wrong with it though

11 hours ago, imikk3 said:

Do you release the handbrake first or the foot brake? Happened to me a few times when I took my foot off the brake pedal then released the handbrake and the car started to roll backwards. After applying the foot brake, all was good as you described. It looks like using handbrake itself doesn`t have any connection with the hill start function so if you use only that it will not keep the car still. I hope Škoda did not find anything wrong with it though

Apply footbrake, start car, release handbrake, release footbrake and press accelerator pedal ->car rolls back, no traction from DSG.

then

Apply footbrake again then press accelerator pedal again ->car moves off normally.

Dealer says no issue detected by scan.

11 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

You have to engage the drive just like on a manual before releasing the hand brake.

Else you’ll roll backwards. But you already know this.

Yes, got that covered.

Edited by MY10Scout

This is not an issue definitely, it behaves as it should. 

I have a question, does the car release maybe automatic handbrake by itself? Many cars who have it behave like that, so that might be the reason why hill holders is inactive. Actually correct way in such cars is to start uphill same as it is already on hill holder, don't touch the handbrake lever.

Edited by nidza

NFF No Fault Found

On most cars with the simple Hill Hold system (a la Octavia) you only have a couple of seconds after releasing the footbrake till the brakes release. You must Go or apply handbrake, but the handbrake needs neutral on a DSG because the clutch drags.

On the more advanced Hill Hold system (a la Kodiaq) life become wonderful. Stop on footbrake. Release footbrake. Car sits happily with clutch disengaged, brake lights off. And goes as soon as you press the go pedal. I love it. Must be the best feature a car can have. Not even seen on a Q5 I know well.

On 01/11/2018 at 20:28, nidza said:

This is not an issue definitely, it behaves as it should. 

I have a question, does the car release maybe automatic handbrake by itself? Many cars who have it behave like that, so that might be the reason why hill holders is inactive. Actually correct way in such cars is to start uphill same as it is already on hill holder, don't touch the handbrake lever.

Manual handbrake -no auto release. I think it is an issue though because it didn't happen when I purchased the vehicle and came on suddenly about 1 yr ago  (car is 4.5 yrs old). No traction while accelerating from start is definitely a  problem. It has never got any worse though. I'm now wondering whether a software update has set the problem off.

On 02/11/2018 at 00:59, BoxerBoy said:

NFF No Fault Found

On most cars with the simple Hill Hold system (a la Octavia) you only have a couple of seconds after releasing the footbrake till the brakes release. You must Go or apply handbrake, but the handbrake needs neutral on a DSG because the clutch drags.

On the more advanced Hill Hold system (a la Kodiaq) life become wonderful. Stop on footbrake. Release footbrake. Car sits happily with clutch disengaged, brake lights off. And goes as soon as you press the go pedal. I love it. Must be the best feature a car can have. Not even seen on a Q5 I know well.

I go from the brake to the accelerator immediately so no delay which would cause the Hill Hold to switch off BUT it reacts as if there has been too long a delay.

On 02/11/2018 at 01:12, Offski said:

'Hill hold assist' or 'Hill hold control'  are not the same as 'Autohold'. Different system, different functioning, different in operation.

Fairly sure its described as Hill Hold and was working appropriately before the problem started.

Just an update. I've found that if I wait until the initial check lights go out on the dash before I release the handbrake, it seems everything works as normal. It seems all the relevant software has not come online  properly until all the system checks have been done as shown by the check lights/icons going out.  Maybe. See how it goes.

Edited by MY10Scout

• 4 months later...

You're getting impatient these days it seems. You must have been more laid back in the old days.

My 2014 TDI DSG hill hold works well, holding for a second or two as I shift into reverse on a hill as I park up. No problems on startup but I'm not so quick on the draw as you.

I love the DSG - relaxed running in economy mode with the free wheeling and good fuel consumption but instantly alert and eager when I just knock the selector back to drop into sports mode.

• Like 1