Rough Roads package potential issue/defect?

Kole

Hi everyone,

The forum was very helpful these past 9 months it took for my Karoq delivery. I've mostly been a silent reader here and now I've decided to join the conversation.

Namely, when I went to my dealer's to inspect my Velvet Red SE-L 1.5 Karoq, I spotted a rectangular hole on the front part of the bottom guard.

It looks like its all made of plastic even though the dealer calls it undercarriage armor

I got down on the floor to see what the added protection looks like and then I saw it - a literal rectangular cutout in the plastic with a size of roughly 10x10 cm or even 15x15. The cutout as I call it even has jagged edges like it was sawed off in a hurry. Very messy looking and certainly not something out of the factory.

My dealer was as confused as I was on the spot since the pictures in the configurator show no such opening. Its located near the right side - front wheel, towards the middle - when you are standing in front of the car.

I am curious if some of you fellow owners that have the "rough road" package could kindly look underneath and see if they have the same rectangular hole. I looked online and there is no such opening on either Kodiak nor Octavia Scout models with the same kit.

Cheers!

Edited by Kole

Welcome.

Did whoever at the dealership that was confused take pictures and assure you they will get back to you ASAP once they get in touch with someone with the knowledge if they will need the car back in for a new part to be fitted?

That would have been Simply Clever.

?

What job does the person from the Dealership do, were they a Technician?

Edited by Offski

Thanks!

It was too dark to make a photo. Dealer says it's probably nothing, however, he promised to check what's up with that. There were Kodiaks and Octavia Scouts there too along with some showroom Karoqs yet it didn't occur to me to have a look then and there for comparison. 

If no one else can spot the same thing on their car I'll go have another look and report back with some pictures.

Edited by Kole

You say the dealer,  it was not the Dealer Principal was it.  What was the employee at the dealerships job?

There was a lit workshop with 4 post ramps was there not, or was this out of workshop hours.

Is this the Dealership where the car had the PDI done?

Edited by Offski

Not the dealer principal - a salesman. They reassured me it was ok - a factory design for cooling. Here's a picture for comparison with your vehicle.

In the salon the Kodiak and Octavia Scout didn't have those. Another showroom Karoq had the same cutout in the same spot.

KaroqFrontUnderside.jpg

:) Some mod, eh! Very unnerving when I first spotted it. I mean - it looks too messy to come out of the factory like it, doesn't it?

BTW could someone check theirs, please? For comparison.

Edited by Kole

It does look like a factory job to me. Whilst the edges may be "frayed" the cut-out is true and straight, the angled corners at right angles.

I don't like it though, but I am a bit ocd.

Colin

My guess its a break out part. The composite panel is manufactured with this section designed to be easily removed a bit like a multi size sim card can be broken apart. If the specification (engine/gearbox) demands they just break that part out on the production line before fitting. 

• Like 2